Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ricardol

Dec 23, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #26 of 30 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Re: San Diego vs San Fran [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I would live in San Fran. I love Yosemite. thats why. 3.5hrs away. Too bad on the no car deal though. In my opinoin, Yosemite just can't be beat.

If it was me, I would choose SF. However, no car would make it tougher. Another negative, if you are restricted to weekend climbing is the traffic getting out of SF. Yosemite is not 3.5 hours away if you want to leave at 7:00 pm on a Friday.

haha..that a good point I guess. I usually fly in and leave at about 9pm....

i leave at 8 pm .. and make 3.5 hrs to the valley .. -- or take a 1/2 day from work -- and leave at 1 pm

suz5781

Dec 24, 2005, 4:55 AM
Post #27 of 30 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Out of curiosity: how are the gyms in SD as opposed to in Norcal?

I've spent a lot of time in both... I'd say that the Bay Area gyms are more climber-friendly. The San Diego ones seem very birthday party-oriented.
... I don't know, it's a hard decision. I don't know exactly how your priorities lie.

Well, it is looking as if SD might be better for me financially, but here is what I am looking for in SD:

1. a decent gym where I can go during the week to meet other climbers and find that great climbing community (hopefully the 'birthday party' feel has fallen by the wayside!)

2. close outdoor climbing for the weekends, so that I can get outdoors in the same weekend that I have a paper due, as school has to come first(rather than have to trek six hours by bus to get outside once every two months.)

From what you guys are saying, it seems like SF is amazing for those who have the means and the transportation to live there, but SD might be it for me....perhaps I'll always just dream of living in SF while living (quite pleasantly) in socal. I guess I could stand to live near the beach for a few years.... :wink:

majid_sabet

Dec 24, 2005, 6:16 AM
Post #28 of 30 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mexican Taco vs. Chinese Food

climbbaja

Dec 24, 2005, 6:32 AM
Post #29 of 30 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suz5781,
Where is the school in San Diego?
Solid Rock gym is in the "Old Town" area (5 minutes from downtown, 5 minutes from "Mission Valley", right off the I-5 freeway).
http://www.solidrockgym.com/home.html
Another gym, Vertical Hold, is in the "Miramar" area, 15 minutes north.
Feel free to PM me if you want more info/resources on relocating to SD.

atarinaper

Dec 26, 2005, 5:47 AM
Post #30 of 30 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are alot of people that live out in the Tri-Valley and commute into SF by BART that i know. Having a car is easy in the city, but mostly people travel by longboard, bikes and muni. I love it up here in northern california, its a perfect compromise for my girlfriend and I, she likes the sun and warmth during the summer and i like the cold and rain of the winter compared to Seattle. There are many Gyms throughout the bay area as well as plenty of local climbing. Dont forget Indian rock, castle rock, and vacaville boulders as well as plenty others.

My vote is for SF but thats me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook