RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

bullsball5

Dec 24, 2005, 4:43 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Best Bouldering near Vegas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok guys, i'm turning 21 and in March I'm going to Vegas and I'm looking for the closest place to do some bouldering. would love to do some sport but I'm bringing a beginner climbing friend and want to keep it simple. Any ideas on whats the closest to the Strip?

biffjr

Dec 24, 2005, 5:05 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Bouldering near Vegas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The nearest place for bloudering is just out side of Red Rocks in a place known as Kraft.. If you look it up in the Routes database here on RC.com then you can get an idea on what type of grades and veiws of what it is like. and good luck

-biffjr

jwood

Dec 24, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in vegas for two days and had one day to boulder. For location reasons, I chose this cave which sounded pretty cool, but I don't remember what book I saw it in.

It was by far the worst bouldering I've ever done. There were absolutely no obvious problems. I tried to climb a line that looked doable. The second hold I used was actually held to the wall by dried mud. That was also the best problem I tried, partly because it was the only one not covered in bird shit.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place. If you find yourself in a small cave with a porclain statue of Jesus in the middle, leave.

What's worse, is that my brother told me that some of the best bouldering he's ever done was really close by. Good luck.

Jordan

vegastradguy

Dec 24, 2005, 6:36 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the largest concentration of good bouldering is located in Calico Basin, just east of the Red Rock Conservation Area.

There are two main areas- the most famous and best being the south (and east) side of Kraft Mountain. This is where the Cube, Monkey Bars, and many other famous boulders are located.

The other popular location is the south-east side of the Calico Hills- which is on your left as you enter the Calico Basin, near the Red Springs construction area.

Other locations include Sandstone Quarry and Willow Springs. Bachar did a problem in Willow over 20 years ago that has yet to see a second ascent.

Be wary of caves and pink sandstone- areas like that are likely to be more sand than stone. The black varnished stuff is usually the best, but the red and white can also be solid, depending on the area.

have fun. make sure to scroll down on the Nevada page to the Nevada Bouldering area- this is where we've put all of the route info for the state- we figure this way it is easier than wading through the thousands of established routes for a few boulder problems.

alvchen

Dec 24, 2005, 9:21 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe http://www.drtopo.com has a free topo of bouldering in Red Rocks.

shortys

Dec 24, 2005, 1:06 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For sure go to Calico basin!
Its well worth the trip.
If you need a crashpad there is a climbing shop on charlston that rents pads.
It just so happens that you have to pass the climbing gym and shop on your way to kraft.
Use the drtopo guide it really helped. I started at the cube and ended in the divided area. Wish I had more time there.

good luck

jeff

bullsball5

Dec 26, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I'll definitely check it out and as soon as I get back I'll put up some pics!!!! Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook