First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Jan 1, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #51 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ethics of climbing companies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Made in ASIA, Sold by Asian distributors directly to consumers is going to kill the entire mom and pop’s climbing shops, manufactures and distributors worldwide.

This is only matter of time, Eastern European companies are entering this market and slowly they are going to kill the other European competitor and Asians are going to enter North American climbing market one day soon and if you think they will come with ethic then we have to wait and see their contribution to mother earth.

Just to remind you that Asians are already dominated the recreational clothing market such as Northface and few other brands. Soon they are going to make ropes, cams, nuts and everything else for 1/8 of the price. The online /Internet commence is already having a major effect on small mom and popshops and with that combination, climbers are going to get everything, directly from ASIA via Ebay or some other direct distributor.

Anyway, support your local store and remember that it may cost you little more but you will save a local business.

happybob

Jan 2, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #52 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with you melekzek, I love to play. But I also like having nice things like my snowboard and new BD Camelots to play with so I think there is a sweet spot on the spectrum and everyones is different.

maldaly: I never dared to say we will have "it" forever, just that we have it now and its only natural that we protect "it." Someday America will fall as the leading power on this earth, but with a little effort that may be a very long time from now.

As far as the productivity, the article I read (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/...s/37360_work01.shtml) says we are a very close third in value per man hour, only slightly outpaced by the French and Belgium. Regardless, we get more done because we tend to work longer.

everythingelse

Jan 2, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #53 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an argentine living in the states with American parents, I’m not entirely disconnected from the "motherland" but can't help but notice the flaming ignorance coming from many of the people in this discussion.
There is one thing that most are forgetting.
The people in Afghanistan, China, Colombia, Canada, Mexico... (the rest of the world) all are human beings as well, all have needs, all have wants, but there is one exception to many of the humans in these countries, they don't always get their wants, and half of the time don't get there needs
(I can only speak to South American countries on this since I grew up in Argentina and have lived in Bolivia and spent a fair amount of time in Colombia)
When I was in Colombia I spent some time with a coffee farmer and he had told me that many of the coffee farmers in the aria could not continue making a living off of farming coffee (they couldn't pay the big man that actually owned the land that they farmed on) because the farmer had to sell the coffee to the land owner and then he would sell the coffee to the Colombian market and then the big American company would buy it in the end and sell it to you. Do you know how much the Colombian farmer would make off of his coffee that he worked day in and day out to farm 7 cents per pound (how much do you pay for it at you local store?)
So many of these farmers switched to farming coca and then could actually make enough to feed their families.
You can call them lazy all you want but there are the rest of the Americans beside yourself that make up this country. The ones that watch more the 6 hours of TV a day, and the obese ones as well, they usually end up in the lazy category.
That’s just my 2 cents

cultureshock

Jan 2, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #54 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just saw this up on supertopo its kinda related to gear industry.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=136450&f=0&b=0

Enjoy

Partner oldsalt

Jan 2, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #55 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Logical?

US corps hire cheaper offshore labor and it impacts our unemployment rate, sooner or later.

Enough jobs go out there somewhere, then enough US workers are affected so that the US market is impacted.

Over time, the market will follow employment. Maybe someday, American companies will be in-sourcing US labor to make products for overseas markets... and we won't be able to afford them.

Just wondering.

Partner grovehunter

Jan 2, 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #56 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As an argentine living in the states with American parents, I’m not entirely disconnected from the "motherland" but can't help but notice the flaming ignorance coming from many of the people in this discussion.
There is one thing that most are forgetting.
The people in Afghanistan, China, Colombia, Canada, Mexico... (the rest of the world) all are human beings as well, all have needs, all have wants, but there is one exception to many of the humans in these countries, they don't always get their wants, and half of the time don't get there needs
(I can only speak to South American countries on this since I grew up in Argentina and have lived in Bolivia and spent a fair amount of time in Colombia)
When I was in Colombia I spent some time with a coffee farmer and he had told me that many of the coffee farmers in the aria could not continue making a living off of farming coffee (they couldn't pay the big man that actually owned the land that they farmed on) because the farmer had to sell the coffee to the land owner and then he would sell the coffee to the Colombian market and then the big American company would buy it in the end and sell it to you. Do you know how much the Colombian farmer would make off of his coffee that he worked day in and day out to farm 7 cents per pound (how much do you pay for it at you local store?)
So many of these farmers switched to farming coca and then could actually make enough to feed their families.
You can call them lazy all you want but there are the rest of the Americans beside yourself that make up this country. The ones that watch more the 6 hours of TV a day, and the obese ones as well, they usually end up in the lazy category.
That’s just my 2 cents
It's easy to come here from another country and live here and enjoy America Isn't it! Are you telling me I can't love my country I was born in as much or more than the motherland you haven't disconnected from yet? You just made my point for me, Thank you! Because America is large and has great resources you think we should give it away. Would you feel that way if the Argentine government had founded and shed blood for this soil? Other countries are poor because their governing has let them down over the years in many cases, and various other reasons. You Imply its America's fault. You mention other countries have human beings in them too, and their needs and wants aren't met. What has your glorious homeland contributed to their wellbeing? You casually or ignorantly skip right over the many times America has helped your country and the rest of the world, proving another point of mine. And as ungrateful as you are, you will ask America for something again and forget who helped you tomorrow, then post how greedy and lazy Americans are. And what's worse hypocrite, is you are here enjoying the fruits of America and share in it's triumphs and when things go bad you can use the scapegoat, "I am Argentinian". This anti - American Jealousy is the reason we don't want anymore people here, and if you do come here EMBRACE AMERICA, MAKE IT YOUR COUNTRY, STRIVE TO MAKE IT BETTER AND FORGET ABOUT YOUR OLD COUNTRY! BECAUSE IF IT'S SO GREAT WHERE YOU CAME FROM THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE?
I hate to sound like I love the country I was born to, but I do and I'm not sorry about it nor will you shame me into the person you want, which is someone who can give to you and expect nothing in return. I suspect you are one of the takers who comes here and contributes little or nothing and bashes Americans because we have a better quality of life.
I love people in general, and I don't want to hurt anyone, contrary to your brainwashed beliefs. If I can help I don't mind but I'm getting mine first, copy that? And I mean this to no end, ask yourself this, " Why am I here in America and why don't I go home to where my pride still lives"? I'll answer it in case you have a mental block. Because there isnt much to be proud of where you come from! Welcome to your new home. :wink:

everythingelse

Jan 2, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #57 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm sorry i must not have explained my self well enough, the "motherland" was intended to be the great country that i am a citizen of now (the states) since my ancestry is american my family is american
i love this country and the people in it
i just can't go out and happily buy starbucks, coca cola, or north face when i know there are people in other countries suffering (not all because of u.s. action, but some yes) some that are making those products for me.
just on a side note coca cola companies in colombia won't allow the workers to have unions, and when anyone organizes or talks about organizing one they kill them, yes coca cola has them killed
and don't even get me started on u.s. military action in other countries
but then there is even exploitation in this country as well, it is not only done in other countries
i am enjoying the fruits of this country, but i will never give up my love for argentina just the same way as you could never give up your love for the states
i love to travel i love people, please don't get pissed of at me for working and studying and climbing in your country for a little while

melekzek

Jan 2, 2006, 6:05 PM
Post #58 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This anti - American Jealousy is the reason we don't want anymore people here, and if you do come here EMBRACE AMERICA, MAKE IT YOUR COUNTRY, STRIVE TO MAKE IT BETTER AND FORGET ABOUT YOUR OLD COUNTRY!

ah, the good old "they hate us, because we are great" speech. Let me tell you this, anti-americanism does not come from jealousy, but exactly from your attitude and ignorance.

Partner grovehunter

Jan 2, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #59 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look here Zeki, I don't owe you or anyone else anything and I am tired of America being attacked. And before you go calling someone ignorant you should take a look in the mirror! I work 7 days a week most of the year and go to school and help homeless people and teach kids in my spare time what I know about astronomy and science. The list goes on, but I want to ask you What do you do to make the world better? And if you are from another country as I suspect you are then your here to take and take and take. So before you try to rationalize your twisted thinking, why don't you spend ten hours with me next Christmas, passing out toys to dying under priveledged children right here in Los Angeles? Then when we're done with that we'll go to skid row, and give clothes to homeless people. I bet you were on the take this Christmas while I was out there doing what I could to solve a problem I didn't create, yet I'll be blamed for it! Step up to the plate and make a commitment to me for next Christmas, In the meantime I'll be collecting clothes and toys and storing them all year long!
I am not a bad guy and I give when I can. Before you reply to this , if you do, let's hear what you do for this world, I'd be interested to hear. :lol: :lol:

melekzek

Jan 2, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #60 of 80 (4939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am not attacking you or your country. It is great what you are doing, kodus to you. But what I am criticizing is the ideology/delusion that US is better than anybody else, and the rest of the world sucks/lazy/wrong/etc. This kind of thought is not unique to US i might say, you can replace US with any other country, and I will criticize that too, including my fellow citizens.

Yes, I have a problem when people start saying things like "THEY hate us for blablabla" about their country. I hate those kind of people, whatever country they are from.

curt

Jan 2, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #61 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is globalization really that bad? I mean, the stuff is made in China, but the profits are going to a US company most of the time. I dont know, but I think its not a bad idea to use up China, India's, and the middle easts resources (oil anybody?) when we can get them at a fraction of what they are worth?

A couple of thoughts on this...

1) The US Dow Jones industrial average fell .7% in 2005, so it's hard to claim that outsourcing our manufacturing base to third-world countries is the real answer to our country's current economic situation. By comparison, the Nikkei index (Japan) rose 40% last year and the Dax (Germany) was up 27%.

2) Even though profits do increase to US companies as the result of outsourcing and lowering production costs--that is only one side of the equation. The resulting loss of relatively high paying manufacturing jobs here in the US lowers the standard of living for average Americans. This in turn, diminishes the ability of average Americam workers to purchase the goods and services that drive our economy. It's a downward spiral.

Curt

sixleggedinsect

Jan 2, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #62 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have trouble reconciling the kind and generous groverhunter...

In reply to:
I work 7 days a week most of the year and go to school and help homeless people and teach kids in my spare time what I know about astronomy and science. ... So before you try to rationalize your twisted thinking, why don't you spend ten hours with me next Christmas, passing out toys to dying under priveledged children right here in Los Angeles? Then when we're done with that we'll go to skid row, and give clothes to homeless people.

... with the f* 'em, im taking what i can get grovehunter.

In reply to:
Here's another tip, Mister lets' have everything all fair bleeding heart fool; nations have been taking over nations ever since the beginning of man. So when you mention disproportionate and entitled to I become upset!

groverhunter, i think that your hyper-nationalistic fervor comes across as a real contrast to the ideological extension of your admirable community service.

nicklikesfire

Jan 2, 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #63 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Not only are they not trying to rip the consumer off, they also are attempting to give back to this earth that we all reside in (a good example of this is Patagonia). Along with all this most of these companies are locally owned and operated and do not use cheap labor to make there products.

Several years back, I heard a rumor that Patagonia used cheap "third world" labor to make its clothes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

so getting back to gear companies....

I'm pretty big into Patagonia , because they are so enviormentally concious(And because they make really amazing soft goods, all around, best stuff I've ever had, anyways). Another reason I really like the company is that I thought they used unionized labor. Am I wrong?

Despite being relativly poor (A work manual labor jobs, and goto college full time) I'm more than willing to pay more for goods that are made with respect to the enviornment and other human beings.

Commited to the core!

Partner grovehunter

Jan 2, 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #64 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I have something crawling on me......oh man its that sixleggedinsect again..... I never claimed to be perfect and I readily admit that mixing emotions with common sense is a dangerous concoction, hard for everyone to swallow. If you look at my earlier posts in this thread I explain that there are solutions to the problems which exist for U.S. economics. Not only did you attack me, but it was you who initiated the emotional content into this thread, as the rest of us were discussing the nature of the problem and how we may over come it. And to get back on topic as I am easily diverted, the solution is agressive marketing and business practices for U.S. companies when dealing with other nations, As they already have the same Ideas in mind for us.
Now if you would like to discuss economics and U.S. foregien policy in regards to economics in a dignified manner then that is fine. If however you insist on being a pest, which most insects are, then I'm gonna get out the fly swatter. Let me simplify this to a a fine point. We were talking about outsourcing and how it hurts the American economy, not how we could be more kind and generous to other countries in our nations business concerns. If you have Ideas to help this economy then maybe we can all learn something in this thread! On the other hand if you want to go the other direction, then you might do just as well to crawl away into a hole or somewhere better suited for insects.

happybob

Jan 3, 2006, 2:56 AM
Post #65 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:
I'm not sure exactly what these "smart people" say, but as far as I'm concerned we earned it.

These are the kind of statements that are disturbing. Its like saying, "I don't know much about Iraq or where Iran is, but I am just glad I don't live there." You don't have to agree with other people's opinions, but please, lets reason just a little better.
Good job pulling that sentence out of context. Of course a topic sentence will sound ridiculous when all by itself.
Grovehunter: Kudo's on your public service. Wish I had the time/dedication/money (college student :wink: ) to do stuff like that. And America will never get the respect it deserves till its gone or just doesn't deserve it anymore. Oh well. Ill take living in America with foreigners (alot, anyway...) hating us before the alternative any day.

Back to the gear issue. I bought and most likely will continue to buy Black Diamond just because its what I started with and I trust my life to their quality. To tell ya the truth, I really am not concerned with the environmental aspect but am willing to pay extra for non-sweat labor gear just because it makes me feel more secure. I dont think buying outsourced safty gear is a good idea, personally. I hope BD hasn't opened a factory in china... I will defiantly think more about this next time I purchase gear.

pico23

Jan 3, 2006, 6:16 AM
Post #66 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Is globalization really that bad? I mean, the stuff is made in China, but the profits are going to a US company most of the time. I dont know, but I think its not a bad idea to use up China, India's, and the middle easts resources (oil anybody?) when we can get them at a fraction of what they are worth?

A couple of thoughts on this...

1) The US Dow Jones industrial average fell .7% in 2005, so it's hard to claim that outsourcing our manufacturing base to third-world countries is the real answer to our country's current economic situation. By comparison, the Nikkei index (Japan) rose 40% last year and the Dax (Germany) was up 27%.

2) Even though profits do increase to US companies as the result of outsourcing and lowering production costs--that is only one side of the equation. The resulting loss of relatively high paying manufacturing jobs here in the US lowers the standard of living for average Americans. This in turn, diminishes the ability of average Americam workers to purchase the goods and services that drive our economy. It's a downward spiral.

Curt

1) I'll defer that you probably no more about this stuff than me. But i hate when people use the stock market as an example.

Why? how are stocks valued nowadays? Same as baseball cards. If a stock doesn't give a dividend (and many don't anymore) than you are hoping and betting someone else wants that stock more than you do and will pay you more than you paid.

There are a lot of examples of good companies losing value for no reason (companies that have low debt and profits that outpace sales for instance). Stock value is entirely arbitrary. It's the closest thing to smoke and mirrors we have in business.

The internet tech boom was a good example of how fragile this house of cards the stock market is.

2) Totally agree. And I'll throw in the fact that by president Bush oppenly admiting that he was in favor of allowing more "legal" illegals to keep the labor cost down in the US (and in bush's defense it could have been any president because if we really cared as a government we would have cracked down on this a long time ago...he is just the only one stupid enough to admit it). When I hear "We Need this people to do jobs americans won't do" I laugh. If you paid a fair wage and kept health insurance then (some, if not many) people would get off welfare and medicaid and food stamps and get out and work. But the system as it is rewards you more for being lazy and not going out. It's kinda like taking a $6 an hour job when your making $400 a week collecting unemployment, it just doesn't make sense to screw yourself to uphold the protestant work ethic. An illegal doesn't pay taxes but gets free healthcare as a reward for undercutting US workers. Seems kinda wrong, doesn't it?

sixleggedinsect

Jan 3, 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #67 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think I have something crawling on me......oh man its that sixleggedinsect again..... Not only did you attack me, but it was you who initiated the emotional content into this thread, as the rest of us were discussing the nature of the problem and how we may over come it.

grovehunter, i certainly didnt mean to come across as 'attacking'. i hoped to open the discussion up when i tossed that first post out, and since then i believe your posts have been much more aggressive than anything ive written up.

anyways, it is indicative of your single-mindedness about the problem that you don't think i coudl be discussing the 'nature of the problem and how we may overcome it'.

In reply to:
If you have Ideas to help this economy then maybe we can all learn something in this thread! On the other hand if you want to go the other direction, then you might do just as well to crawl away into a hole or somewhere better suited for insects.

j_stone

Jan 3, 2006, 5:59 PM
Post #68 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

metolius owns lucky (based in Spain) who makes all their biners and other forged stuf

Hey, I have worked at Metolius for almost 15 years and I didn't know we owned Lucky. LOL

FYI...Actually we only distribute this product and have no ownership. This is probably true for several of the other companies as well. It's a pretty common practice. Over the years we have distrubuted: Mammut, Charlet Moser, and Dolomite. None of which we own.

I do agree for the most part that the climbing industry is less cut throat than say Nike or the likes. But there is a big difference between getting a crappy pair of shoes and a crappy rope, cam, biner, etc.

J

Partner robdotcalm

Jan 3, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #69 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Federal Government Outsourced to China
Based on the great success American companies have enjoyed in offshoring the entire outdoor industry, it was announced today that the U.S. government will be outsourced to China. "The savings and greater efficiencies that will be achieved in this fashion make this what you Americans would call a 'no-brainer,'" said a U.S. government spokesperson in Beijing. "By eliminating such wasteful expenditures of money as social security or the elections scheduled for later this year, the American government will be able to focus its resources on its primary mission of fighting terrorism. While this may cause some distress for the President, Cabinet, Congress and other federal workers who are losing their jobs, we are certain that with re-training they can find useful employment."

rob.calm

happybob

Jan 6, 2006, 4:58 AM
Post #70 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just on a side note coca cola companies in Colombia won't allow the workers to have unions, and when anyone organizes or talks about organizing one they kill them, yes coca cola has them killed
I was just rereading this post, and have a question: why is this Americas fault? I know that Coca Cola is not America, just an international company that started in America. Maybe you should look to your own legal system for not punishing the ones involved in these killings. After all, if its not against the law to for Coke to kill people, it should be. And if your government wont do anything about it, push them from power. If it comes to revolution, I'm sure after a few thousand people die the UN will ask the USA (it always seems to be us...) to send you some troops so your not all killed, and then you can establish your own, just government.
Maybe that is all a little far fetched, but its not our fault Coke kills people. We police foreign company's here in the USA so i think its your responsibility to do it in your country.

pico23

Jan 6, 2006, 5:33 AM
Post #71 of 80 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
just on a side note coca cola companies in Colombia won't allow the workers to have unions, and when anyone organizes or talks about organizing one they kill them, yes coca cola has them killed
I was just rereading this post, and have a question: why is this Americas fault? I know that Coca Cola is not America, just an international company that started in America. Maybe you should look to your own legal system for not punishing the ones involved in these killings. After all, if its not against the law to for Coke to kill people, it should be. And if your government wont do anything about it, push them from power. If it comes to revolution, I'm sure after a few thousand people die the UN will ask the USA (it always seems to be us...) to send you some troops so your not all killed, and then you can establish your own, just government.
Maybe that is all a little far fetched, but its not our fault Coke kills people. We police foreign company's here in the USA so i think its your responsibility to do it in your country.

Wow this is your most diluted post yet.

Uh, coke is most certainly US. So is walmart and Kodak. They may have international arms but the head is US controlled.

This is almost like Walmart (a company that exerts more control over it's outlying resources than probably any other) saying we don't know what goes on in our stores, or the factories our goods are produced in. Ignorance isn't a defense regardless.

The US only sends peace keeping forces where it is beneficial to US interest. There have been exceptions to this rule but generally it's the case.

And last I checked the US was badly behind on it's UN contributions.

Don't believe your country is perfect. The foundations it was formed on are models for the world but the evolution of the nation is not the intention of the founders. I'll by that the constitution couldn't forsee the future but some things were certainly more important than others. A good example is the fact that the founders never intended to have a single all powerful leader. If you haven't noticed the president has gradually become ever more important. And today this president is aiming to consolidate all he can under the premise of a neverending war...Last I checked only congress has the power to declare war or military action lasting beyond 100 days.

Get your head out of your ass, be proud, but be realistic.

happybob

Jan 6, 2006, 7:43 AM
Post #72 of 80 (4938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Uh, coke is most certainly US. So is walmart and Kodak. They may have international arms but the head is US controlled.

This is almost like Walmart (a company that exerts more control over it's outlying resources than probably any other) saying we don't know what goes on in our stores, or the factories our goods are produced in. Ignorance isn't a defense regardless.

The US only sends peace keeping forces where it is beneficial to US interest. There have been exceptions to this rule but generally it's the case.

Don't believe your country is perfect. The foundations it was formed on are models for the world but the evolution of the nation is not the intention of the founders. I'll by that the constitution couldn't forsee the future but some things were certainly more important than others. A good example is the fact that the founders never intended to have a single all powerful leader. If you haven't noticed the president has gradually become ever more important. And today this president is aiming to consolidate all he can under the premise of a neverending war...Last I checked only congress has the power to declare war or military action lasting beyond 100 days.

I think you missed the point: this is an example of a situation that is made to be Americas fault that we have no control over. So what if Coke is headed in the US? If Coke killed someone here in the US it damn sure would be punished to the extent of the law. If Target, a French based company, had someone killed here it would not go unpunished.

What was the US's interest in the Tsunami relief? I know our troops were there. I know our tax dollars are going there. And this unending war which I assume you mean Iraq, was authorized by congress. 296-133 in the house and 77-23 in the Senate. All this happened Oct 10, 2002. I'm pretty sure everyone in the States and probably most of the civilized world knew that one, except you.

My country is not perfect but its pretty damn good.

Get your head out of your ass, bash on America if you like, but check your facts.

aryemanhattanforme

Jan 6, 2006, 4:33 PM
Post #73 of 80 (4936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If Target, a French based company, had someone killed here it would not go unpunished..

Target was founded in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1902, and is still based there.

There is simply too much bad information in this entire post to respond to it all; and given the ad hominem responses in most replies, I don't think it really seems to matter to those of you being most vocal.

But, having spent time in factories in China, I will say this: The U.S.'s current position as the most powerful country in the world - economically, militarily, etc. - will not continue forever. (Roman Empire? British Empire?) The Chinese are incredibly hard working, incredibly smart, and determined. They will soon have a middle class that will outnumber the entire population of the U.S.

For those of you who question their labor practices or their environmental stance, I would urge you to study the history of the United States.

But, back to the original post: Of course outdoor companies source products overseas. While we aren't all owned by larger companies, and aren't all thusly beholden to public share-holders, we do need to make profits. And some of us (many, really, in the outdoor industry) are committed to making quality products of which we can be proud. Are we always successful? No. But, you and I and any other consumer in America has a choice. If you can't find the product you want, made by the people you want, in the country you want, there is always one last choice: Make it yourself.

Good luck.

~rye

pico23

Jan 6, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #74 of 80 (4936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think you missed the point: this is an example of a situation that is made to be Americas fault that we have no control over. So what if Coke is headed in the US? If Coke killed someone here in the US it damn sure would be punished to the extent of the law. If Target, a French based company, had someone killed here it would not go unpunished.

What was the US's interest in the Tsunami relief? I know our troops were there. I know our tax dollars are going there. And this unending war which I assume you mean Iraq, was authorized by congress. 296-133 in the house and 77-23 in the Senate. All this happened Oct 10, 2002. I'm pretty sure everyone in the States and probably most of the civilized world knew that one, except you.

My country is not perfect but its pretty damn good.

Get your head out of your ass, bash on America if you like, but check your facts.

Actually, no, I mean the never ending war on terror! And congress is handcuffed at this point on Iraq but it made it clear that the US is pulling out sometime soon. Congress DID NOT DECLARE WAR ON IRAQ OR TERRORIST. Therefore the president HAS NO AUTHORITY UNDER THE CONSTITUTION TO EXPAND HIS POWERS which he would in a time of war. BTW, Congress was also duped by a misleading president into the war. A war the president wanted since the first day of his presidency.

My favorite all time quoute is during the 2000 pres election debates with Gore. President Bush stated, as president this nation will not undertake nation building. Funny we've already undertaken rebuilding of at least two nations.

As far as the Tsunami, some things are just too big to pass up. Even the US government needs good press sometimes. Remember imediately after the tsunami US gov got bashed for not doing enough. And I do think I clearly stated that the US occasionally does something not in it's best interest. Ironically, I have no problem with our country looking out for itself, I have a problem with idiots in this country believing our government is so benevolent that it hurts the US. What hurt the US in both credibility and financially for probably another generation is the pre emptive war on a nation that had nothing for us to preempt.

You are sadly confused. And I feel bad for you. I feel bad for myself too because people like you are the reason Americans are increasingly hated throughout the world.

happybob

Jan 6, 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #75 of 80 (4936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Target was founded in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1902, and is still based there
Your right. I apologize for that bit of miss information. But the main point still stands, just replace Target with Toyota and French with Japanese. And you are right, the American empire will undoubtedly fall. I think I stated that before. But when it falls is something that can be influenced.
In reply to:
Actually, no, I mean the never ending war on terror! And congress is handcuffed at this point on Iraq but it made it clear that the US is pulling out sometime soon. Congress DID NOT DECLARE WAR ON IRAQ OR TERRORIST. Therefore the president HAS NO AUTHORITY UNDER THE CONSTITUTION TO EXPAND HIS POWERS which he would in a time of war. BTW, Congress was also duped by a misleading president into the war. A war the president wanted since the first day of his presidency.

My favorite all time quoute is during the 2000 pres election debates with
Gore. President Bush stated, as president this nation will not undertake nation building. Funny we've already undertaken rebuilding of at least two nations.

As far as the Tsunami, some things are just too big to pass up. Even the US government needs good press sometimes. Remember imediately after the tsunami US gov got bashed for not doing enough. And I do think I clearly stated that the US occasionally does something not in it's best interest. Ironically, I have no problem with our country looking out for itself, I have a problem with idiots in this country believing our government is so benevolent that it hurts the US. What hurt the US in both credibility and financially for probably another generation is the pre emptive war on a nation that had nothing for us to preempt.

You are sadly confused. And I feel bad for you. I feel bad for myself too because people like you are the reason Americans are increasingly hated throughout the world.

I'm glad that you read the mind of George W. Before he was elected. You should have told everyone that he wanted a war. Don't get me wrong, hes a jackass, but its not like the Democratic party had a much better offering. And last I checked, we are still in the war in Iraq, so why is the pres not entitled to the power given to him in a time of war?

The balance of power you seem of speak of is temporary at best. By power I think you must mean things like the Patriot Act and the likes. (if thats not it, start specifying things, its hard to argue when you are making very general statements...) Unfortunately, those were also approved by congress, though they are about to get kicked out the door by congress. (I hope so anyway.) Some of it was also deemed unconstitutional by the courts. The balance cannot always, if ever, be perfect, but the mechanism to equalize itself is in place and that is (in my opinion and the opinion of most people I know, including teachers) what the founding fathers most likely envisioned.

Its cool if you feel bad for me and yourself, but I don't understand why. If others hate me because of my values, that sucks. Its part of human nature I guess. We both have what seems to be inverse views on our countries policies. I'm sure we can both agree on one thing: we cannot change each others opinions. Aryemanhattanforme was right in that there is lots of bad information in this thread, from myself included. (see above.) I consider myself lucky to have participated in this argument because I learned something.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook