RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

crimpjunkie

Dec 28, 2005, 2:19 AM
Post #1 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Balaclava Recommendations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone had any balaclava recommendations. I got the OR Baffin Balaclava for Christmas, but found that the velcro strip used to secure the face flap is rigid and uncomfortable. What have your experiences been? What do you think works best? Any help is appreciated.

rendog

Dec 28, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #2 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Re: Balaclava Recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as long as it's wind proof, I'm happy. and no straps or any of that crap.

slip it on over the noodle, and away I go

Partner euroford

Dec 28, 2005, 3:58 AM
Post #3 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got one of these, it does the job.

http://www.rei.com/product/47927119.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

iamthewallress

Dec 28, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #4 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Turtle Fur one that is light enough to go under my helmet and a giant hood style one (JC Penney, no kidding) that can fit over it..

rendog

Dec 28, 2005, 4:14 AM
Post #5 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a Turtle Fur one that is light enough to go under my helmet and a giant hood style one (JC Penney, no kidding) that can fit over it..

i'll only buy it if it's made from real turtles

altelis

Dec 28, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #6 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mh makes an AMAZING windproof balaclava....i've used on mt washington numerous times and have fallen head over heels in love...it can get a little cool and breezy up there... 8^)

iamthewallress

Dec 28, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #7 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Think vegan, like tofurkey.

It makes you look like a turtle though...Unless the you get a peachy pink one like one of my friends. Then you'll look like a certain part of the male anatomy.

iamthewallress

Dec 28, 2005, 4:25 AM
Post #8 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

It makes you look like a turtle though...Unless the you get a peachy pink one like one of my friends. Then you'll look like a certain part of the male anatomy.

Hyeah, which you would Marlena Bobbitt, if given the chance.

Only if you were wearing it. Although sticking it on you backwards might be improvement enough.

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 28, 2005, 4:27 AM
Post #9 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Hyeah, which could make you Marlena Bobbitt, if given the chance.

The psycho's name was Lorena.

iamthewallress

Dec 28, 2005, 4:32 AM
Post #10 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nah. I'll do kinky. Not sick.

You done stalking me now then?

iamthewallress

Dec 28, 2005, 4:40 AM
Post #11 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post

iamthewallress

Dec 28, 2005, 4:45 AM
Post #12 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Nah. I'll do kinky. Not sick.

You done stalking me now then?

Stalking? I haven't posted on this site in months and you think I'm stalking?

You have an inflated sense of self-importance.

If you haven't posted at this site in months and you almost never post at supertopo, and you come out of the woodwork to take a swipe at me that adds nothing to the conversation on both sites when I'm actually trying to contribute something to the OP's query, then I'd say YOU have an inflated sense of my importance.

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 28, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #13 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfffffffffffft....the wind/sun/frost burns around my glasses is a right of passage to me

i have to jump back on that contacts band wagon

rendog

Dec 28, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #14 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
pfffffffffffft....the wind/sun/frost burns around my glasses is a right of passage to me

i have to jump back on that contacts band wagon

did that for all of 1 month, man, contacts are the ONLY way to go when ice climbing'

skinner

Dec 28, 2005, 6:58 PM
Post #15 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know, maybe it's from my construction days.. but I still use hard-hat liners. Could be the price appeals to me as well ($6-$9) ..
But what I really like, is being able to attach it to my helmet so it doesn't move around and end up over my eyes.
You can get just the ear flap one or the full balaclava style with a detachable face guard that can be completely removed, or left to dangle off to one side.
Personally I like one that I can open/close as much as possible as opposed to the pullover style, being able to regulate my body heat and keep from sweating when climbing, yet stay warm on belay makes the whole ordeal more enjoyable.

On the glasses/contact thing.. have any of you climbed with or know someone who has climbed with one of those clear shields attached to their helmet? I have always wondered about them, they just look like something that I would get wet, smeared, frozen, fogged, and in the end, rip off and discard.

sixleggedinsect

Jan 1, 2006, 2:45 PM
Post #16 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering if anyone had any balaclava recommendations. I got the OR Baffin Balaclava for Christmas, but found that the velcro strip used to secure the face flap is rigid and uncomfortable. What have your experiences been? What do you think works best? Any help is appreciated.

ive got the standard OR balaclava- i dont know which model name it is. it has no removable bits and pieces, big hole for the eyes, nose hood, and mesh for the mouth, windstop fleece.

its the only one ive ever used, so i cant make comparisons. i guess ive used plain-jane 'clavas with a big face hole. those are fine for most conditions but when it gets windy i need the face protection and i prefer the fleece feel to the neoprene facemasks.

anyways, i really like my OR balaclava except for one thing. the big face hole is cut wrong, at least for me. it exposes too much of my forehead, and sideways around my eyes, even with ski goggles on top there are gaps around the sides. it really annoys me in bitter conditions.

i like it more than the OR removeable piece balaclavas (climb with friends who use those) becuase theres nothing to lose in the wind, and i can moderate the temps just fine by pulling the face hole under my chin.

if i were to do it again, id try the thing on in a climbing shop to make sure it covers me up right. also good to make sure you get teh right size. the OR i have fits really tight. i had the medium. any larger and it might float around, any smaller and i coudlnt get it on.

best for me would be the same thing i have, but with a smaller face hole and stretchier fleece around the sides so it would still stretch open to pull under my chin.

rendog

Jan 4, 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the glasses/contact thing.. have any of you climbed with or know someone who has climbed with one of those clear shields attached to their helmet? I have always wondered about them, they just look like something that I would get wet, smeared, frozen, fogged, and in the end, rip off and discard.

jsut another thing to get fogged up and in the way. Almost everyone that I've ever seen with one of those things always has them flipped up and out of the way. I've tried everything to keep my glasses from fogging over, from putting toothpaste on them to dishsoap. nothing seemed to do the trick.

sixleggedinsect

Jan 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #18 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For climbing: Just not WindStopper. It renders one nearly deaf and, as someone said, it's like a VBL. Not enough breathability, IMO. FWIW, I tend to run hot and sweat a lot. If it's for belaying only, I can see sliding on WS, but anything even mildly active generates too much heat/moisture for WS, IMO.

OR's WindPro breathes better than WS and still has greater wind-blocking than fleece. For me, it's a more useful material for headwear. I'd even prefer a lightweight balaclava in conjunction with a regular hat before the full WindStopper balaclava.

on second thought, im with you. im really happy with my windstopper balaclava, but the only time i ever wear it is my winterly jaunt in the new england presidentials, where 45 mph blowing snow is casual weather.

does OR do the same line in a windpro fabric?

ledavis23

Jan 5, 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #19 of 22 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My absolute favorite hat is Outdoor Research's Ice-9 Helmet liner http://www.mgear.com/...id/0/level2_id/0/N/0
It fits perfectly under a helmet and is fairly warm by itself. Because I like to be able to remove a face mask or scarf without taking off helmet and hat as well I use Seirus's combo scarf. http://www.rei.com/...3705&vcat=REI_SEARCH
This combination is very versatile and keeps me from buying/packing both a hat and a clava. Both peices fold flat and small enough to fit anywhere.

pico23

Jan 5, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #20 of 22 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

honestly, try target...they have these dupont hytrel (AKA. Gore windstopper) for $5-10. I got a helmet hat with wind stopper ear flaps (cant hear shit unless you punch holes in the ears), a few skull/helmet liners, and a windstopper balaclava. I am very happy with all of them.

My system for mountaineering without a helmet is to use the skull cap (which is just breathable microfleece) for regulation and when it gets nasty add the balaclava over it with goggles. Very warm (if i need warmer the hood gets sealed up). If i'm just cold and it's not nasty out I'll add the balaclava sans goggles and pull the face mask down over my chin exposing my face. When I need a little less warmth I pull the top of the balaclava down so it just covers my neck and the skullcap/helmet liner is my only head insulation.

since I don't like to remove my helmet very much I usually just use a helmet liner and my hood unless it gets really nasty.

But anyway, the Target Balaclava is pretty much the same as http://www.outdoorresearch.com/...ats/balaclavas/83241

drake

Jan 6, 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #21 of 22 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I no longer use my windstopper OR balaclava. It does make hearing your partner difficult. The mess in front does collect moisture that drips on your chin or freezes. It does not stretch enough for me. If I try to take the lower part off my nose and slide it up my chin, it becomes uncomfortable.

My system is a lightweight polypro balaclava (OR) and then if it is cold, I use a WS bennie hat that covers my ears.
The balaclava can be slipped down round my neck for a low bulk neck gaiter. I find it a more flexible system that dries quickly.

scottb63

Jan 10, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #22 of 22 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a Patagonia balaclava. It has spandex in it, so it fits well. It also has tiny holes to make breathing a lot easier and comes down low enough to keep any drafts out. I haven't tried it out in any severe temps yet, so I can't say how warm it is.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook