Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ilikecookies

Apr 10, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #26 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ghetto gear stories? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i learned to tie a harness from a firefighter when i was 12. i didn't have any webbing, so i used my karate belt. it was probably 2" wide, but only 4' long, so i tied 4(2 of mine, 2 from my brothers) together. i also swiped a keychain biner from my mom and bought another one at scout camp for 2.50. those were good times.

cragclimber_99

Apr 12, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #27 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Nylon sucks.. We used the water hose!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We never had any rocks around so used trees. belts for harness and the ol trusty nylon. after the first fall on the nylon we decided we needed something with a little more bounce so we used the water hose.... aaaah nice and cushy!!!!!!

lidosis

Apr 12, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #28 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in the day when I was like 9 or something like that we found a length of steel cable and we decided that we wanted to rappell down it. Living in the midwest and not having any cliffs around we decided to do it out of the top of one of the trees, it was fairly tall and we tied the cable about 60 feet up. We made harnesses out of pieces of closeline around and made the belay device from a collection of closeline and chain links, lets just say that this combintaion would sinch down on the cable and that would slow our decent but not very well so it was mostly a loosley controled fall, but I guess it slowed us up enough before we would come crashing into the ground. Since we never did the same thing twice for our belay device we would sometimes end up suspended off the ground because the dank thing would lock on a kink in the cable. Fun times

cragclimber_99

Apr 13, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #29 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

this just happened today [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to Wichita state univ... and im sure the Army goes to other schools with their portable climbing wall but has any one looked at it. I saw it from a ways back and figured id go take a look.. I didnt look to hard but they were using steel cable on a winch!!!! I watched for a minute hoping someone would fall. I surly wasnt going to try not that it was a difficult route or anything but someone did fall it wasnt going to be me and it sure would have been funny :lol:

grandmastergoat

Apr 13, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #30 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first memorable climbing reference was of a David Lee Roth mtv video of him on some pendulum in Yos. (i think the song was "just like living in paradise") I never really wondered how he got up there, I just wanted to do that. My harness was a bike tire pinched in two and tied together with yellow nylon rope. This segment of rope was prussiked to a 3/4 inch 60' yellow rope. Damn that thing was heavy. Near my house was a 60' cut bank of sand and clay on a river with a great stump at the apex of the wall. After overhanding the rope to this stump and pulling on my bike tire, I was quite content to pendi back and forth for hours (or at least until my legs went numb) to "this must be just like living in Paradise!".

galt

Apr 13, 2004, 2:06 AM
Post #31 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if its Ghetto, but it's cheap. I'm in the process of making a tarp out of SilNylon and a bug bivy. I've spent about $45 on the materials and about 8 hrs. of work so far. The tarp is all but done and the bug bivy is coming next. $45+Sub. 2 pounds+about 18 hrs. of work= One really happy, really dry climber/camper.

norwand

Jan 4, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #32 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Petsfed,
Am new to the site and have been reviewing old postings. Does your Dad still have that old coil of Goldline and does he still want to sell it? Would bring back many fond memories....

joshlg

Jan 4, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #33 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I began climbing at age 14-15 around GA, AL I used whatever I could get a hold of. We used steel quick-links for our toprope setups that consisted of usually only one loop of webbing girth hitched around a small pine. We also did not know what a ATC was so we just used a single carabiner wrap. We made swiss seats out of webbing and climbed in indoor soccer shoes and used a old static line that had been retired from a ropes course.

ikellen

Jan 5, 2006, 5:37 AM
Post #34 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was young, I rigged a top-rope (or atleast what I thought was one) out of a dog leash 8^)

cal_gundert05

Jan 6, 2006, 6:54 AM
Post #35 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today I went to the local crag to do some bouldering. At the trail head I ran into a group of 4 guys, 2 of them used to be friends of mine in junior high. But they got into drugs and dropped out of school and our paths just departed. They ask me if I'd like to go climbing with them, unaware that I had my shoes and harness (just in case) in my backpack. So I say yes, unaware that they only have 50' of rope, 2 Dutch harnesses (made of what look like seat belts), 3 biners, and an ATC.
Long story short, we spend a few hours climbing the starts of some 10s and 11s.
Not really ghetto gear, but still low-tech.

anykineclimb

Jan 6, 2006, 7:59 AM
Post #36 of 36 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started climbing. My partner and I couldn't afford a rope just yet, but we did have some Army Greenline.

They craziest thing about climbing on it is it has, like, a 30% stretch factor. If you were less than 30ft up, you'd deck. Not quite a full on fall, but it felt like bungee jumping I guess. You'd plummet to the ground and then slowly....slow down :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook