RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

anykineclimb

Jan 11, 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

50liter packs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm looking for a new pack.

I bought a Mystery Ranch G5000 last year for my Pakistan expedition and found it to be, however awesome, just too large. Based on last years experience, I'd like a pack about 50 liters for this summers trip.

criteria:
Size 50l, give or take a bit. If larger, must compress well. I need space for foul weather gear, medical supplies, water (3+ liters), rescue gear and food/ snacks.
Weight It'd help to be fairly "light". This is probably the main reason for a different pack. The G5000 was easily compressed for smaller loads, it just was still as hefty as a 5400cu in pack.
Organization I know you can go pretty light with just a sack, but I do like some decent oraganizational features. Pockets here and there but not the goofy "organizer pocket" on packs like Jansport or Kelty.

SOOOO, of this criteria, I'm looking pretty hard at the Osprey Atmos 50
http://images.rei.com/media/477007.jpg

any other ideas?

hammerhead

Jan 11, 2006, 1:23 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Re: 50liter packs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about the Mountainsmith Phantom or one of the ULA packs?

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

wrbill

Jan 11, 2006, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Deuter Aircontact 55+10. I love the pack. It's 55 liters with a sleeve to make it 65 liters. I can get a full trad rack, tent, sleeping bag and food plus more in the pack and put the rope across to top before the lid. Just another one to think about if you did not look at Deuter.

Bill

crackers

Jan 11, 2006, 2:26 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't you just get a new bag and use the suspension from your Mystery Ranch? I thought that the suspension could be used with different pack bags. Or would that still be too heavy?

If the above doesn't work, may I suggest considering one of my packs, with the below caveat? All three are shown here.

While the 40 and 60 liter packs bracket your criteria nicely, honestly, they don't fit precisely or perhaps at all. Because you want internal organization, I can't recommend the 60 as it is basically a big hole for gear.

The 40 liter has an internal zip pocket which will satisfy your minimum organizational needs, compresses more than you can believe, but is 10 liters smaller than your desired size.

I think that the Osprey Atmos is one of their better lines. Personally, I wouldn't be able to find anything because there are too many pockets--but that might be precisely what you're looking for.

bobruef

Jan 11, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got the Osprey exposure 50. I love it.

Compresses well, excellent suspension, seems very well built, many features.

I'm 6'0" and 185lbs, and I went with a medium (I fell between a medium and a large w/ torso length, and I'm very glad I went with the medium, as the large probably would have been too big).

One of my favorite features is the floating, removable top compartment. It is the only compartment other than the main top-loading one, and the zipper is oriented so you can access granola bars, etc with the pack still on. I load that sucker up with a heafty load, and notice it only in my own fatigue on the trail (no hot spots, spreads the load wonderfully).

Sounds like the atmos might be a better option though, based on your criteria. I'd highly reccomend Osprey after owning this pack though.

highangle

Jan 11, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hands down, Osprey makes the best carrying packs I have ever worn. Several of my climbing partners have picked them up after I raved about them, and they are just as happy.

You won't be dissapointed.

everythingelse

Jan 11, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i also just got the osprey exposure 50
i was looking at the 42 as well but am very glad that i got the larger one
it has loads of fun things you can do with it
a small warning
it is very, very narrow bag, it basically looks like a taco or something when its on you back
so you have to work on situating stuff in it and it gets filled up quick.
but the suspension system work wonderfully
can be compressed down to almost nothing and still rides perfectly

pwigg

anykineclimb

Jan 11, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately love Opsrey packs. Especially their old Vector series. If I go with Osprey, it'll be my 3rd pack from them.
Looked at the Osprey Exposure 50 also. Just seems like theres a litle more organization on the Atmos.

The Osprey is the only one I've really looked at, thanks wrbill for the tip on Deuter they do may some good stuff.

Hammerhead, never heard of Ula packs, thanks for the link

crackboy

Jan 11, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have to say, I have one of crackers packs, and it carries WAY better than my Dana designs pack, which i thought carried well.

I have the 40L pack. while it goes up to about 70 liters fully expanded, it is probably a little small for your needs, especially if you want organization.

Partner kimgraves

Jan 11, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just bought one of Crackers packs - waiting for delivery. Depending on how I like it, I'll have an Ospray Aether 45 for sale if you're interested.

Regards, Kim

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook