Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dr_monkey

Jan 12, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #1 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Alpinist does the right thing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wanted to get this story out there, but first a disclaimer. No, I am not associated with Alpinist in any way, and this is a true story. This is my attempt to partially repay Alpinist a favor, hopefully this gets read. If it gets too long and boring just skip to the last three paragraphs for the conclusion.

A couple of years ago a student of mine showed me his new mag, Alpinist #7. Needless to say I fell in love with the publication. I loved the photos, and though I will never be a bad__s like the people I read about, I enjoy the connection to them and there accomplishments. Alpinist served a function greater than just selling me stuff, i.e inspiration.

The next year on my birthday my partner bought me a subscription including all of the past issues. I envisioned passing these mags on to my children someday, not as a collectible but as a piece of climbing history.

Then disaster struck. A plumbing malfunction upstairs (yes, I live in a basement) drowned #'s 0-10 in less than sanitary water. This was just after #12 had come out. At the time I was thinking of not renewing my subscription for all of the reasons that have been mentioned previously in other threads on rc.com. Especially galling to me were the renewal notices that I kept getting; talking about how "Alpinist is a climber supported publication" when at the same time more and more pages were going over to advertising. I was still bummed that all my early issues had been dowsed in tainted water though.

So my fiance and I wrote Alpinist a letter explaining the situation and how we couldn't afford to buy a new set (we really couldn't afford the first set either.) It took a while, but six months later (after I had long ago given up all hope of a free replacement) I came home to find (Holy S__t!) two boxes from Alpinist with brand spanking new #'s 0-10.

So Alpinist pulled through for me, and as a result I have changed my view about the evolution of the magazine. Now I can see the changes in a new light. Yes the magazine has changed, probably for the worse, but the changes are in order to survive. The only reason why it is so disappointing is that the mag was so superior in the first place. I would rather have the "new" Alpinist than no Alpinist, and still think that (for me at least) it is the best climbing related magazine available. Sorry Urban Climber.

Am I a sucker for being bribed? I don't care. With all of the threads about the poor costumer service from other companies that are always floating around I though it would be nice to see an example of a company doing the right thing; even if publishing a mag is not even close in importance when compared to manufacturing gear that we entrust are lives to.

If you have an example of a company doing the right thing or going the extra mile for you, let us know here and repay that company in kind. Remember that our power as consumers lies not in what we post, but how are posts influence other's purchases.

Cheers,
DRS

mheyman

Jan 12, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #2 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpinist does the right thing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes the magazine has changed, probably for the worse, but the changes are in order to survive. The only reason why it is so disappointing is that the mag was so superior in the first place. I would rather have the "new" Alpinist than no Alpinist, and still think that (for me at least) it is the best climbing related magazine available.

I just wanted to repeat this cause I agree so strongly.

Anyone dreaming or planning a trip to the Howsers! I am - not sure what year, but I am.

Partner brent_e

Jan 12, 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #3 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Yes the magazine has changed, probably for the worse, but the changes are in order to survive. The only reason why it is so disappointing is that the mag was so superior in the first place. I would rather have the "new" Alpinist than no Alpinist, and still think that (for me at least) it is the best climbing related magazine available.

I just wanted to repeat this cause I agree so strongly.

Anyone dreaming or planning a trip to the Howsers! I am - not sure what year, but I am.

what a great article, eh?

There is no doubt that I'll be picking up a subscription to alpinist this year. My buddy got it last year - it's my turn. It seems like i'm helping out a friend when I send them money.

yes, it's expensive....but the magazine is woth the cover for the pictures alone.

Brent

melekzek

Jan 12, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #4 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in a related story: alpinist magazine received hundreds of claims, that their alpinist collection is ruined with water, demanding a new set. Alpinist magazine owner said "We are surprised, since we never sold this many copies"

kachoong

Jan 12, 2006, 7:12 PM
Post #5 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinist is a great magazine and you get what you pay for IMHO. It's worth it for the historical articles alone. There's never the amount of advertisments than the other mags.

However, what's up with Alpinist not being waterproof?! WTF Mate? It should be able to withstand the harshest blizzard and avalanche burial.... it should be able to deflect even the sharpest tool!!

builttospill

Jan 13, 2006, 1:35 AM
Post #6 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No stories to tell about the greatness of the company, but I did just pick up all the back copies from a guy and got a 1 year subscription from my sister as a thank you gift. Pretty sweet gift.

I definitely love the mag and, as Brent_e said, I feel like I'm helpiong out a friend when I send them money or buy their magazine. DEfinitely respect what they're trying to do, to say the least.

sandbag

Jan 13, 2006, 2:42 AM
Post #7 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive flipped through the pages of a couple, yes awesome pictures.
and customer service too; beyond....
maybe they should start making cams..... :shock:

jtt

Jan 13, 2006, 3:23 AM
Post #8 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard Alpinist #9 kicked Chuck Norris's ass, and when I read it I feel that power coming through to me.

haas

Jan 13, 2006, 3:25 AM
Post #9 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinist has been one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. I'm glad to hear about your arrival of all the back issues. That is an amazing act of kindness on their part. My wife renewed my subscription for me for Christmas (I've been a subscriber since the beginning) but the latest issue never came so she went out and bought me it from the climbing shop. She emailed Alpinist and they said they sent the issue, but agreed to extend my subscription another issue. The latest mag arrived a week later. While one extra issue seems like a small favor, it has solidified my love for the magazine and while the advertisements have increased, I will be a subscriber until the end. Thank you Alpinist!

veganboyjosh

Jan 13, 2006, 4:37 AM
Post #10 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard Alpinist #9 kicked Chuck Norris's ass, and when I read it I feel that power coming through to me.
wrong.

skinner

Jan 13, 2006, 4:42 AM
Post #11 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about #14 w/the collapsing ice pillar ? :shock:

jtt

Jan 13, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #12 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
wrong.

good point, apparently Chuck Norris has counted to infinity. Twice.

Alpinist can only go to the mid teens.

dr_monkey

Jan 13, 2006, 5:58 AM
Post #13 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The collapsing pillars sequence is one of the scariest things I have ever seen captured on film. I wander if that dude is still ice climbing?

DRS

skinner

Jan 13, 2006, 6:02 AM
Post #14 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He certainly looks dazed sitting there, probably thinking of a life change.. maybe taking up bowling instead.

What a ride though :shock:

paulraphael

Jan 13, 2006, 6:43 AM
Post #15 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just so you know, alpinist is pretty much the vision and labor of love of christian beckwith ... if they sent you all those back issues, it was a corporate "they," it was christian who did it. what keeps the magazine afloat is a single rich investor, christian's 7 day a week dedication, and your subscription dollars.

a magazine at that quality level, with its tiny circulation, is ridiculously expensive to produce. it may cost more than what's in your pocket right now (i had to let my own subscription lapse) but it sure isn't overpriced.

avitripp

Jan 13, 2006, 7:07 AM
Post #16 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpinist is the cats ass!

haas

Jan 13, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #17 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those photos from the collapsing pillar came out a few months ago in a German climbing magazine with a nice article all about the incident....too bad I can't read German

plund

Jan 13, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #18 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How about #14 w/the collapsing ice pillar ? :shock:

You mean the EXPLODING giant ice column of Death? I looked at the third frame for a LONG time, even dug out a loupe for CLOSE examination...HOLY CRAP...it looks to me like Urs turned and LEAPED...

I wonder if he stayed continent....in the moment AND after looking at the photos...I nearly shat myself just sitting on the couch!

Great mag with the best photos around...I'm probably gonna have to spring for the back issues...

marcallain

Jan 13, 2006, 4:43 PM
Post #19 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The collapsing pillars sequence is one of the scariest things I have ever seen captured on film. I wander if that dude is still ice climbing?

DRS

I have the same sequence in my Swiss ice climbing guide. Definitely making me think twice about giving it a burn later this winter...

Partner csgambill

Jan 13, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #20 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the little things that a company does that keep customers coming back for more. It's difficult and takes a lot of hard work to please people all the time, but it's very easy to upset them, in which case they may or may not come back. Back when I was in college I used to serve tables, I had a manager who made the statement, "If you give a table outstanding service and they're extremely happy, you may get one new customer from them. But if you give them lousy service, they'll go and tell their friends how bad the service was, and you'll loose 10 potential customers." This particular restaurant did about $35-$40K in revenue a night. I think this is a philosiphy that many companies could learn from, are you listening CCH? :lol:

If you want this kind of customer service when it comes to preparing your taxes, visit my company's website and give us a call. http://www.guinto-gambill.com. You can mail or fax your tax documents to us if you like. Plus you get the added benefit of having your taxes prepared by a fellow climber. 8^)

agrauch

Jan 13, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #21 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you want this kind of customer service when it comes to preparing your taxes, visit my company's website and give us a call. http://www.guinto-gambill.com. You can mail or fax your tax documents to us if you like. Plus you get the added benefit of having your taxes prepared by a fellow climber. 8^)

I never knew that good customer service included shameless and misplaced self promotion.

Partner csgambill

Jan 13, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #22 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I never knew that good customer service included shameless and misplaced self promotion.

Yes, I'll admit it is shameless, I'm not above that, but I'm just trying to trade value for value here.

drake

Jan 14, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #23 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My last issue got lost in the mail. I waited about 2 months and finally called Alpinist. They gladly & promptly sent me the missing issue.
Unfortunately, I did not get issue 0 and #1. I was too slow in subscribing.

I heard they were operating in the red for a while. I'm glad they are still putting out such a great and unique magazine.

stovetop

Jan 14, 2006, 3:34 AM
Post #24 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unfortunately, I did not get issue 0 and #1. I was too slow in subscribing.
I was just on the Alpinist website and you can download Issue #0 now from the back issues page. Not the same as having the actual mag, but if you just want to read it....
Stove Top

drake

Jan 14, 2006, 1:08 PM
Post #25 of 31 (6079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I know but I want to have all the hardcopies on by bookshelf.

It amazing what good resources magazines can be. I have all Climbing issues from Aug of 92 and R&I from the fall of 93. I have gone back and pulled an issue from time to time to get information and/or pictures on locations and routes. They do take up nearly 4' of shelf space.
I wish I had the past 30 years of the American Alpine Journal. I only have 8 years worth of those.
I have suffered losses. Yes, My kids have thrown our a couple issues, as 2 years like to put things in the trash. Missing Climbing issues 229 & 230.
R&I 105.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook