RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

miavzero

Jan 12, 2006, 5:55 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Living in St. George, Utah
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I'm considering moving to St. George next year to eventually get a math/science teaching job. I've been doing some investigation on the web, but still have some questions.
Is there affordable housing?

vegastradguy

Jan 12, 2006, 6:31 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Re: Living in St. George, Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check out Ivins nearby- a small, growing community. i think housing is still somewhat affordable there, but i could be wrong.

jacobbelsher

Jan 12, 2006, 8:05 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

miavzero,
It was biazarre for me to read your post. As I've been considering precisely the same arrangement. I will say, it is deffinately possible to live in your van comfortably, for many months, in Springdale, 45 min from St. George. There is abundant employment available during the summer months, as long as you don't mind resturant work.
Possibly, living/a house would be cheaper in and around Hurrican (pronounced Hurkin).
cheers and good luck...I love that part of the country.

miavzero

Jan 12, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses so far!
Keep it comming if you have anything to add.

miavzero

Jan 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

paganmonkeyboy

Jan 13, 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard a couple things on Santa Jorges...
1 stellar climbing
2 retirement city

Don't know if #2 is true, but I hope to get down there and check into it...could be a good place to be for a few...

iamthewallress

Jan 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How religious/conservative is the town in general?

vegastradguy

Jan 13, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How religious/conservative is the town in general?

pretty conservative- drive through on a sunday morning and most cars will be parked out front of the nearest church- this is especially true of the outlying towns near St. George.

that said, it has a pretty good atmosphere, mostly, i think, due to the fact that its a major pit-stop on the I-15 north of Vegas- it has to be relaxed enough to deal with that. plus, a good number of folks actually live there and commute to Mesquite and even Las Vegas to work.

eddie_munster

Jan 13, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've heard a couple things on Santa Jorges...
1 stellar climbing
2 retirement city

retirement city = very bad for teaching.

craggerjack

Jan 13, 2006, 7:30 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be a little biased but St. George has some phenomenal climbing spots, not to mention the outlying areas (ie Zions, Snow canyon,Virgin River Gorge. etc.)Vegas and Red Rocks is close by as well. Basically any kind of climbing you are into is no more than an hour and a half away, if not right in your backyard. The weather has been in the mid 50's and 60's, great climbing weather for winter.
As for the teaching thing, there are 3 high schools and probably a 4th in the not too distant future, there's a college and tons of elementary schools, plenty of young minds for you to warp. Population is booming which means the housing is severely overpriced so if you plan on teaching, plan on renting because teachers are underpaid here in Utah. Other than that, its a great place to live with a stellar climbing scene.

nieder

Jan 21, 2006, 7:28 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, I live in St. George, to answer your questions,

There is awesome year round climbing in and around St. George. An hour drive in any direction will keep you more than entertained, and a 10 minute drive out of town will get you to the local crags. I have yet to find any other place like it in this respect (except for Boulder, CO and SLC) but St. George has much more diverse climbing and rock types. Trad, Sport, Bouldering, even ice sometimes not too far away. In fact, last month (December) my climbing partner and I climbed sport at Chuckawalla in the afternoon and then climbed ice later that evening near Kanarraville, only 20 minutes away.

1- Housing is ridiculous in St. George right now. Most homes in St. George are above $250,000. If you go to outlying areas they are slightly cheaper but not much. Check Hurricane, La Verkin, Ivins, Leeds, etc if you want more affordable stuff. I don't know if I would be living here for that reason if I hadn't gotten into a house when I did last year. It was skyrocketing right when we build ours...Now it is just plain stupid what is happening. Wages are low, housing costs are high. Something is going to have to happen.

2- As for teaching, all I have heard is that Utah highly underpays teachers. Most that I know have second jobs. You may need to be open to this.

3- About the van down by the river. Yes, Springdale/Rockville would be a good place to try. And you would be that much closer to Zion.

Yes it is a retirement city and yes there are tons of Mormons. It's not as bad as you might hear. We won't force our religion on you and won't expect you to "like it or leave it". Sure there are close minded people here who have no sense of reality of what it is like to live anywhere else in the world.

Hopefully you don't have to deal with this minority. What I would be more worried about are the old people though, and rich rednecks.

Yes it is conservative...

rc86

Feb 2, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

St.George is a good place to live if you into climbing. The Cost of living here can be pretty cheap. And yes it's a consertive town. About 80% or so are LDS. And if you want to become a teacher make sure you check on Dixie Middle/Dixie High. And as for the climbing it's unbelieveable! Huge varity from easy and nearby to multi pitch. You probally wont see that many people and the crags either.

Good luck with you're search. :)

alpinismo_flujo

Feb 2, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Utah is the coolest state I've been to so far! Plenty of everything including climbing (sans strippers and alcohol) - good thing Vegas is only a short drive away!

Mormons are nice people.

Check out Cedar City. Not too far from where you want to be and close enough to plenty of spots. Cheaper than St. George which has grown unbelievably in the past 5 years.

BTW: We bought 20 acres outside Cedar City last year and plan on moving to it within the next 5-10 years.

sidepull

Feb 2, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(pronounced Hurkin).

naw - they splip a quick "eh" in there, as in HUR-eh-kin which we know is pioneer for "run quick my relatives."

Bad joke. :oops:

weschrist

Feb 2, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Possibly, living/a house would be cheaper in and around Hurrican (pronounced Hurkin).

its purnownced Aryan Nation methlab.

rc86

Feb 2, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hurricane might be cheaper but defaitly not the place to live unless you want to be with the hicks.

mped

Oct 1, 2006, 4:34 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I graduate from college in May and I am moving where the rocks are plentiful (from Minnesota to Utah). A entry level management or sales position is ideal. I was looking at Saint George and Salt Lake City. An apartment would be ideal and a job before moving would be necessary, which I have been looking for on Career Builder and other sources. I've read some info on both cities. My first choice would be Saint George, but I know more business opportunity would be available in SLC. I liked the location to Vegas and year round climbing temps in St. George. Any info and thoughts on what location would be better will be helpful. A requirement: good quality and quanity of climbing (sport and boulder) within 0-30 minutes of apartment location and year round climbing temps (at least 9-10 months). My local crags in Minnesota are two to three hours of driving each way and the only good bouldering is Vertical Endeavors Climbing Gym.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook