Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
'rockprodigy's' Training Program...Check It Out!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

rockprodigy

Jan 16, 2006, 3:39 AM
Post #1 of 138 (56074 views)
Shortcut

'rockprodigy's' Training Program...Check It Out!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I've finally done it. After many requests, I've finally put down my training program on paper...well virtual paper.

Check it out here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...es/index.php?id=2140

It's long, but I didn't want to leave anything out...more detail is always better than less.

Let me know what you think, if you have questions, etc. Hopefully this will generate some good discussion!

Mike

squierbypetzl

Jan 16, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #2 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'rockprodigy's' Training Program...Check It Out! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw the pics when they were going through the system, impressive to say the least. Well done.

tyson16v

Jan 16, 2006, 5:26 AM
Post #3 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It seems every time someone asks a question about training, or attempts to have a meaningful discussion, it doesn’t take long for some moron to chime in with “I train my biceps by lifting a beer up to my fat face.” Insecure and below average climbers love to bash those of us with enough self respect to seek improvement. Someone once said: “Anything worth doing is worth doing well.” I believe this applies to climbing as well as it does anything else in life. I cannot understand the attitude of someone who would spend every weekend out on the rock, but not be at least mildly interested in getting better.

this is by far the best statement in the forums right now.
“I train my biceps by lifting a beer up to my fat face.” i laughed out loud when i read that. im so sick of assholes saying that crap.
rockprodigy, i applaud you. that is a great article that you have made accesible to the masses.

bighigaz

Jan 16, 2006, 6:34 AM
Post #4 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike, thanks for all the time, effort, and research. I read it, I'm inspired to use it to develop my own training regiment. I was a distance runner myself, and a wrestler as well, combined with avid weight-lifting for almost a decade before I ever became a "regular" climber. When climbing began, everything else seemed to... end. Bad idea, really.

I wanted to throw in my own $.02 of insight that I have gained from mistakes I've made in the past. You might say mine was a poor method of research, but the results of my bad form may be helpful to someone who wants to try to build their own program using your system as a model. (IOW, I'm giving some advice on what NOT to do, and some ideas to FIX the damage that can be caused by transitioning too quickly from one type of training to another...)

This isn't for everyone, but it may help some...

First of all, I currently deal with a few penalties of POOR training (and maybe genetic dispositions...) I have a knee with a mind of its own, that becomes painfully week after "high-impact" exercises (Specifically, RUNNING). I also experience "climbers" elbow/"tennis" elbow, as well as a periodic pain in a shoulder/rotater cuff, both of which severely hinder my climbing ability. Bummer.

I had some extremely good advice from a trainer, and a physician, and I wanted to share it for those who may be in a similar boat as I... especially faithful weight trainers that have cut back or STOPPED weight training all together and taken up climbing.

THIS was my first mistake. I STOPPED lifting weights, and I STARTED climbing. I was never a "power" lifter. I kept my workouts medium and light, maintaining consistent sets, and varying exercises weekly. (the "trick-your-muscles" trick...") Nevertheless, my muscles had been tightened around my joints after years of "pushing," then suddenly they started "pulling." -nothing else. The transition from PUSHING to PULLING did more damage than I realized. And to make matters worse, I gradually started stretching less and less until it ceased to be a part of my workout. (I guess I figured my flexibility would stay the same if I just kept climbing... oops.)

Long story short, my joints became loose and week, and I became prone to injury after about 5 years of nothing but climbing.

I have reached the point that I cannot run anymore without experiencing severe pain for 2 or 3 days afterwords. Then I'm forced to rest until I'm healed. (No good...)

I guess my point here is to share what I've learned about balancing my physical activities.

1. Stretching properly is essential! (Should be a part of your warm up, EVERY DAY!)

2. Pushing your muscle groups is as important as pulling, ESPECIALLY if you have a weight lifting background! Otherwise you will eventually experience loose elongation of your joints. This SUCKS.

3. As Mike so faithfully prepared and shared, organized training is ESSENTIAL to improvement and avoiding injury.

4. Patience. A return to 100% won't happen overnight, ESPECIALLY if you do it the way I did... by learning the HARD way.

So, for me I've decided to develop a solution that will hopefully get me out of the painful box I created, and MIKES system is going to be an integral part of it, combined with cross training involving a physician-recommended RETURN to proper weight lifting. (Again, this is because of my history, and may not be for everyone.) Proper stretching (I've grown fond of Yoga lately, as it seems to break the monotony of traditional stretching... which is painfully boring!), and until I can run without the pain, I'll have to get my cardio by jumping rope, swimming, or riding a bike... Trail running seems to be a less painful option than the street, but it's going to have to wait a bit...

Like Mike explained frequently in his awesome article, each of us will need to adapt the program a bit. For those of you that fall in to my category, ("wearing out"), you might add four weeks of concentrated PROPER weight training, combined with cardio, and some light climbing just to maintain the movement... and the fix. When you start into the phases Mike emphasized, DON'T stop lifting, but cut back to LIGHT lifting (a.k.a "off-season" weight training), once or twice a week, JUST to maintain proper balance of PUSH & PULL for your muscle groups that have grown accustomed to pushing.

Hope that wasn't to much, just wanted to share what I could...

Thanks again Mike for the AWESOME insight and inspiration!

overlord

Jan 16, 2006, 8:05 AM
Post #5 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet article. i just skimmed through it and its definitely something to keep in the bookmarks.

just one question. im planning on building a campus board. what angle is your campus board at and do you like it that way? if you could, how would you change it?

tommez

Jan 16, 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #6 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just read it.. Interesting article with good tips I will keep in the back of my head. One thing though. By the tone in your article and by looking at your program it seems like you are climbing to train better, not the other way around.

wrbill

Jan 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #7 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mike great post. A great read and will help me to build my work-out plan, something that I have been working on for only about two months. I have one question? That is could you put a link to work-out sheets that is easier to read. I think that would help a lot as they are hard to read. Thanks again for taking the time to put your training plan in righting for the rest of us looking for a plan that as been tested over a long time span. This will mean a lot when it comes to making my own plan with a little adjustment to meet my needs, because of all the hard work that you have done as the “guinea pig”.

Thanks
Bill

rockprodigy

Jan 16, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #8 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mike, thanks for all the time, effort, and research. I read it, I'm inspired to use it to develop my own training regiment. I was a distance runner myself, and a wrestler as well, combined with avid weight-lifting for almost a decade before I ever became a "regular" climber. When climbing began, everything else seemed to... end. Bad idea, really.

Great thoughts. I was also a wrestler, and have some chronic shoulder pain from a double arm-bar I was caught in during Districts my sophomore year. I was wrestling two weight classes up because our school was weak in that class, and I got worked! It still hurts now and then, 12 years later!

I completely forgot to mention that I lift weights as well. I usually lift 2-3 times per week. I lift bench press, bicep curls, tricep extensions, reverse wrist curls, and I do some lightweight shoulder exercises. The reps and sets I do would probably fall into the "toning" category: usually 3 sets of 15 reps of each exercise. I started doing the shoulder stuff about 5 years ago, and it has made a huge difference.

In reply to:
just one question. im planning on building a campus board. what angle is your campus board at and do you like it that way? if you could, how would you change it?

My board is 15 degrees off of the vertical. Metolious recommends that angle, and I've always liked it. The only thing I would change would be to come up with some way to take weight off while you campus so that you can transition into doing three and two-finger moves. I have not come up with a good way to do this, though. I think it would also be cool to have a set of rungs that was essentially six identical hangboards stacked on top of each other, but that would be expensive!

In reply to:
One thing though. By the tone in your article and by looking at your program it seems like you are climbing to train better, not the other way around.

You can certainly make that argument, and I won't disagree with you. Many of you may notice my opinions contradict some of the other training experts here, but we've already "agreed to disagree." My rationale for sticking to my training program is that fluctiations in my outdoor climbing performance seems to correlate pretty well with my training cycle, meaning I climb better when my training suggests I should, etc. If my training program were counter-productive, I don't believe that would be the case. I wouldn't rule out some sort of "placebo effect", though.

In reply to:
That is could you put a link to work-out sheets that is easier to read.

I don't know how to do this. Those training sheets were scanned, then submitted as photos. You can go to my photos and they might look better:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...&period=None&mode=my

overlord

Jan 16, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #9 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

My board is 15 degrees off of the vertical. Metolious recommends that angle, and I've always liked it. The only thing I would change would be to come up with some way to take weight off while you campus so that you can transition into doing three and two-finger moves. I have not come up with a good way to do this, though. I think it would also be cool to have a set of rungs that was essentially six identical hangboards stacked on top of each other, but that would be expensive!

thanks. that was helpfull.

one way to do it would be a pulley system, but that would be kinda hard to do. the weight would have to start at the top of the board and the slowly descend. kinda like perpetual TR with tension.

an even better way would be to have a 2:1 or even 3:1 pulley, meaning tha the weight travels less distance. youd need heavier load though.

rockprodigy

Jan 17, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #10 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've considered the pulley system, but it would be pulling you out as well as up, which could be a problem. It is probably better than nothing, though. You also need to have a lot of travel in the system, but yoiur 2:1, or 3:1 idea would mitigate that problem.

mcgivney_nh

Jan 17, 2006, 1:01 AM
Post #11 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks mike

really great article

jto

Jan 17, 2006, 7:27 AM
Post #12 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice article. Good pointers and interesting throughout. I had to copy it and read it again. Even if I don´t have that much expertice in the field of climbing training, I agree very much on the point that there is no reason to do a lot of ARC´s if your goal is in different kind of routes. I think that was the main thing that popped out good.

Wouldn´t it be beneficial to alter the HYP loads, rep and pause lengths here and there to get more variety in training. If you only use one set pattern (5-7x7/3sec pause) your body will get used to it sooner. You talk about systematic progression but it does not have to be that linear really. The progression has to occur yes, but in the long run.

I try to make my point more clear with an example progression here:
Session 1: 10x5 secs @ 20 lbs / 5 sec pauses
Session 2: 8x6 secs @ 25 lbs / 4 sec pauses
Session 3: 5x3 secs @ 40 lbs / 7 sec pauses, 5x10 secs @ 15 lbs / 5 sec pauses
Session 4: 10x5 secs @ 30 lbs / 5 sec pauses
Session 5: 3x7 secs @ 25 lbs / 3 sec pauses, 3x5 secs @ 35 lbs / 5 sec pauses, 3x3 secs @ 45 lbs /7 sec pauses
Session 6: 8x6 secs @ 35 lbs / 4 sec pauses
etc...

The main point in hypertrophy training from the weigth training point of view (my field) is also adding more volume. Of course it does happen when using a simple set-rep -system too, but it can be greater and that way better if the patterns are changed. Example for let´s say chins (but it could be what ever from hangboards to deadlifts...):
Phase start: 4 sets, 4 reps @ 60 lbs = total volume 960 lbs
After one month: 5 sets, 5 reps @ 65 lbs = total volume 1625 lbs
After two months: 6 sets, 6 reps @ 70 lbs = total volume 2520 lbs
So the amount of work done has increased by 2,6 fold. After that there is a very good base to start the power phase.

(The set-rep-patterns (4x4, 5x5, 6x6) just the make things more clear. Number mantras are not that important.)

About getting weight off when hanging: Stand on a scale to measure how much weight is on your fingers. Quick and very accurate. Not as unmerciful of course as the weight plates :)

Cheers.

piton

Jan 17, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #13 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought the wrestling matches in Devil's tower parking lot were great for training.

nafod

Jan 17, 2006, 2:50 PM
Post #14 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My board is 15 degrees off of the vertical. Metolious recommends that angle, and I've always liked it. The only thing I would change would be to come up with some way to take weight off while you campus so that you can transition into doing three and two-finger moves. I have not come up with a good way to do this, though.

There's something out there for you. Google on "jumpstretch" or "therabands". Big long elastic bands that folks use for assisted pullups and assisted muscle-ups. They can also double as a key component for water balloon launchers, so you get twice the fun.

rockprodigy

Jan 18, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #15 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jto - your comments on volume are very interesting. I think one problem with your suggested protocol is that it varies so much from workout to workout that it would be very difficult to decide how much load to use for each set from one workout to the next. Therefore, it would be hard to get the load just right. You would either be underloading yourself, and therefore not reaching failure, or overloading and risking injury, or not finishing each rep.

Do weightlifters do something similar to what you have suggested, and if so, how do the figure out how much weight to use?

nafod

Jan 18, 2006, 2:19 PM
Post #16 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From your training guide (many thanks for posting it)

In reply to:
The purpose of the hangboard is to train your forearms, and body builders have long understood that the best way to train a muscle is to isolate it. These other tools do the exact opposite by attempting to train all the various muscle groups involved in climbing movement at once, making it virtually impossible to ensure that any one muscle is stressed until failure.

Two thoughts on that. The first is that body builders build bodies, not athletic strength. Related, but not the same. That's a nit, but I'd be loathe to use them as a key source of training ideas.

The other thought is that there's been some excellent research done by a Dr. William Kraemer (was at Penn State, not sure where he is now) that shows exercising at a very high intensity (whole body movements done at a pace that jacks your heart rate to the max) generates a response similar to taking hormones. It's referred to as the neuroendocrine response. Now, body builders don't need that effect since they are already taking steroids. But for mortals with a fear of needles, it's a path to hypertrophy. Plus you get the aerobic conditioning for free, so it's a two-fer.

So in short, there could be real benefits to either doing grip training as whole body movements, or to wrap grip training into a larger interval training, where instead of resting between grip reps, you are doing something else.

Just food for thought, since you seem to be a thinking kind of guy.

nickh

Jan 18, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #17 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

naford,

That neuroendocrine response is really interesting, I've been reading about it lately. On powerlifting sites a bunch of fourteen year olds are always asking how to get bigger biceps, and the lifters tell them to squat.

Would the best way to harness the benefit of that response be by warming up for a hangboard workout with compound movements (squats, deads, pull-ups, 0-lifts.)

Also, does anyone know if that response is still stimulated when using loads that are not optimal for hypertrophy? As a climber I do not want the legs of a powerlifter.

Nick

I did squat for the first time in years two days ago. I also played around with the o-lifts. It was really fun, didn't really feel worked till I bent over a couple hours later and couldn't stand up.

crackers

Jan 18, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #18 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nickh: crossfit gymjones style! check out the schedule from about a year and a half ago...

sidepull

Jan 18, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #19 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The other thought is that there's been some excellent research done by a Dr. William Kraemer (was at Penn State, not sure where he is now) that shows exercising at a very high intensity (whole body movements done at a pace that jacks your heart rate to the max) generates a response similar to taking hormones. It's referred to as the neuroendocrine response. Now, body builders don't need that effect since they are already taking steroids. But for mortals with a fear of needles, it's a path to hypertrophy. Plus you get the aerobic conditioning for free, so it's a two-fer.

So in short, there could be real benefits to either doing grip training as whole body movements, or to wrap grip training into a larger interval training, where instead of resting between grip reps, you are doing something else.

Just food for thought, since you seem to be a thinking kind of guy.

Thanks for the insight. Could you provide a few examples of each, maybe even say a bit more about the logic behind how this might work?

Partner robdotcalm

Jan 18, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #20 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks mike

really great article

Dittos
rob.calm

climb1212

Jan 18, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #21 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike,

Thanks for posting a good description and justification for the way you train.

As far as HYP goes, I thought I would throw out an idea.

You write,

In reply to:
The purpose of the hangboard is to train your forearms, and body builders have long understood that the best way to train a muscle is to isolate it.

I’ve altered my HYP phase to include system training on short, predetermined boulder problems emphasizing wide movements and small edges/crimps. This is in addition to hangboard workouts.

Why? It seems that hangboarding and campus workouts emphasize movement in a direction that heavily relies on downward pulling. This is important of course, but what about executing climbing moves that may have good crimps, but are widely spaced. The Rule of Three at Schoolroom is a great example. While the holds are pretty good, the route demands the ability to perform long and difficult movements that are widely-spaced. I’ve noticed this on other routes, too.

While I doubt that this approach builds muscle as rapidly and to the extent that pure hangboard sessions do, it contains a greater element of climbing movement while training the muscles associated with widely spaced moves, at least I would assume so.

In reply to:
I’m quite skeptical that the exercises that go along with these tools even cause hypertrophy. The number and duration of the repetitions, and the load put on the muscle seem more in line with Power Endurance exercises than hypertrophy. The only way to ensure hypertrophy is to load the muscle until failure quickly (not as a result of a pump).

You do have a point. For HYP, though, I designed short sequences that left me completely taxed after about an hour consisting of either 4 or 5 sets. I would imagine that if it were power endurance, I would be on slightly easier routes.

Like you said, the best way is to experiment new methods on ourselves. So I will see how this works.

wyomingclimber

Jan 18, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #22 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The purpose of the hangboard is to train your forearms, and body builders have long understood that the best way to train a muscle is to isolate it.

I'm curious about this statement. First, because bodybuilders generally aren't all that strong--they're beauty contestants, not athletes. One of those Scandinavian guys from the World's Strongest Man competitions, I imagine, would twist Mr. Olympia's head off like a bottle cap.

Second, developing a muscle in isolation might make it big, but if it's not connected to anything, does it really make you stronger? I mean, preacher curls will give you big biceps, but will they actually help you lift a large rock off the ground?

And finally, is there any evidence that a high level of hypertrophy is desireable for a climber? How much have your hangboard workouts increased your forearm diameter and do you feel this growth was accompanied by a well correlated increase to your climbing grade?

And as far as this neuroendocrine thing, could someone point me to a link? The only thing I can find on the 'net by Kraemer seems to be about why you shouldn't train really drunk.

tenesmus

Jan 18, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #23 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Powerlifters isolate too. I think this is appropriate.

Partner robdotcalm

Jan 18, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #24 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I did squat for the first time in years two days ago. I also played around with the o-lifts. It was really fun, didn't really feel worked till I bent over a couple hours later and couldn't stand up.

What's an "o-lift"?

nickh

Jan 18, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #25 of 138 (56071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Olympic lifts - The "snatch" and the "clean and jerk" (consisting of two different lifts the "clean" and the "jerk". These lifts are waaay more explosive than typical weightlifting. Like hucking a dyno vs. slab climbing. I used pretty light weights (80#) to get the technique down, but I still felt pretty worked afterwards. I used the info on crossfit's website for form and technique.

Nick

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook