Forums: Climbing Partners: US - MidWest:
Bouldering at Devil's Lake. Do I realy need a crash pad?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

billygoat312

Jan 13, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering at Devil's Lake. Do I realy need a crash pad?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Going out to Devil's Lake this sunday with some friends to get some bouldering in before it gets cold again and I was wondering how necessary a crash pad is out there?
If there are some climbs with descent landings I'd love to hear about them, it would save me the 120 i'm gonna have to drop for that MAD PAD. thanks and have a good one.

billygoat

crazyscuba

Jan 13, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering at Devil's Lake. Do I realy need a crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post

its nice to have a pad at the lake but there are some areas that you dont need them as much. the burma boulders are probably the best bet for non pad climbing. most of the landings at other areas you'll want a pad.

steve

organic

Jan 16, 2006, 5:02 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Unless you are bouldering in tennis shoes you are always going to want to have a crash pad. Unless you have confidence enough in your skills that you are not going to fall. Falling even a few feet in nonpadded climbing shoes hurts like a mother and after a few goes you will be sure to have a short day of bouldering.

hoofers_andy

Jan 16, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

you can handle it without a pad. but since you are from illinois you probably have money to blow on one.
and stop with the crazy driving. FIB

advance apology-- all animosity directed generally at flatlanders due to poor driving and manners at the crag/constant invasion of our fine state. you may be one of the nice ones, or something...

billygoat312

Jan 16, 2006, 6:14 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm a student and broke as sin. Also, I'm from TEXAS and I miss Austin and the Zilker Park trails dearly. Some of the best climbing this poor soul has been lucky enough to come across.

Sadly, the trip was supposed to be today, but due to an illness we were unable to go and see your beautiful state and wallow in what IL lacks (sorry southerners but I haven't been down there yet).

Thanks for the help and the advice. Much appreciatted.

goat

curtis_g

Jan 19, 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering at Devil's Lake. Do I really need a crash pad [In reply to]
Report this Post

In reply to:
you can handle it without a pad. but since you are from illinois you probably have money to blow on one.
and stop with the crazy driving. FIB

advance apology-- all animosity directed generally at flatlanders due to poor driving and manners at the crag/constant invasion of our fine state. you may be one of the nice ones, or something...

well I'm not in agreement with the driving comment or the money part (I'm a currently unemployed student scraping together gas money and eating less to buy climbing gear, haha) but...

it is very true that Wisconsin is Illinois' back yard. I practically grew up there, but I love the state so much, from Minocqua to Baraboo, Wild Rose to Beliot. My grandmother live in Minocqua, my friend's wife in de Forrest, but I;d say my favorite places in Wisconsin are Devil's Lake, Eagle Cave, Cascade Mountain, and Indian Head ski.

But hey, my crag manners are impeccable, but I do know what you mean about the people that aren't.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook