RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner sevrdhed

Jan 16, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in the winter olympics, 2006
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but...

http://www.rockcomps.com/...0Press%20Release.pdf

Anyone else think it's strange that they've having climbing in the Winter olympics?

Steve

Editted to make the address a link for you lazy bums :D

fjclimbsrocks

Jan 16, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in the winter olympics, 2006 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing as a winter sport does seem strange. I am also curious as to how the US came up with Emily Harrington and Vadim Vinokur. Anybody know?

smearns

Jan 16, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I just went to NBCOlympics.com to figure out when they will have coverage of the rockclimbing/bouldering event, and I couldn't find any information on it. Do you know if they are even going to make a spot for it on TV? I look forward to watching it if they do, so if you guys know anything about it let me know! Thanks!

hoofers_andy

Jan 16, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like its not actually an 'event', but that there is a climbing comp at the same time and in the same area as the winter olympics.
the announcement linked above says that invited atheletes are participating to 'generate awareness among the judges and international olympic commitee' of climbing as a possible olympic sport (not a direct quote)

edge

Jan 17, 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing as a winter sport does seem strange. I am also curious as to how the US came up with Emily Harrington and Vadim Vinokur. Anybody know?

The US was offered 2 spots by the UIAA. As the governing body for climbing in the US, USA Climbing selected these two based on the strengths of their recent World Cup finishes and readiness for the event. Other sports governing bodies often pick who will represent the US based on these intangibles rather than results from a National level event.

Since the Olympics are in Feb, I think the choice of these two was appropriate, and I wish them well. The Adult Nationals, which will select the US representatives for the World Cup, will take place after the Olympics, on March 4th at Metrorock in Boston, MA.

In reply to:
Climbing to be Represented at the Olympics

The 2006 Winter Olympics are to be held in Turin, Italy from February 10th through February 26th. For the first time in history, climbing has been asked to be a part of the Olympics as a representative sport. The International Olympic Committee granted the UIAA – Climbing Council (formerly known as the ICC) permission to run competitive climbing events in conjunction with the snowboarding events that are being held in the neighboring town of Bardonecchia.

At the Management Meeting for the UIAA – Climbing Council in December in Paris, it was decided that each member country would be slotted a number of invitations for climbers, totaling 35 competitors. The US was slotted 2 invitations and Emily Harrington and Vadim Vinokur will be traveling to Italy on the 10th of February to represent our country. Debbie Gawrych, the President of USA, will be traveling as US Representatives to convene with other officials in terms of working towards the long-term goal of climbing becoming an official sport of the Olympic Games.

The Climbing Challenges will be held throughout the course of the scheduled Olympic Games and will encompass traditional bouldering competitions amongst the invited climbing athletes as well as climbing challenges between climbers and snowboarders.

The primary goal of UIAA – Climbing for the inclusion of the climbing challenges in the Winter Olympics is to create awareness amongst other athletes, officials and most importantly, the International Olympic Committee.

thebigdog

Mar 14, 2006, 2:36 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to bump this thread, but how did climbing go down? Was it a success? Ive looked for info but all I can find is stuff written before the event and blog entries from Mike Doyle.

Any info would be much appreciated :D

jezzzica

Mar 15, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, I would love to see some video footage, but I suppose that won't happen.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook