RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

knot_climbing

Jan 14, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Webbing life
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First let me give a big sup' to everyone. As a newbie to this forum I hope to gain much wisdom :wink:

First round is on me!!

I did try to perform a search, however the search function appears to be e x t r e m e l y slooooooooooow and when it did return my querrie the results were numerous.

So let the bashing begin if this question has been beaten in the ground.

What is the general life of webbing? Do you base it on the day it left the spool? The hours on the rock? Falls?

Your input is appreciated!

salamanizer

Jan 14, 2006, 2:06 AM
Post #2 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Re: Webbing life [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I base it on the conditions its been through and what condition it appears to be in upon inspection.

P.S. I'll PM you with my address so you know where to send that first round. I prefer dark, nothing domestic, unless its micro brewed.

knot_climbing

Jan 14, 2006, 2:58 AM
Post #3 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well then this Porter is for you
http://www.jackofthewood.com/ales2.html

I should have been a tad more specific in my question. Assuming the webbing wasn't noticeably abused and I have used it on and off for 4-5 years and kept it stored dry.

I have ALOT of it, safety is first, i'd just hate to toss it. I'm just unsure of the material's life span.

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 14, 2006, 3:02 AM
Post #4 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Visual inspection of the threads in the weave, is best. Webbing loses color after long exposure to uv rays, an indicator the threads might have weakened and elasticity as the fibers weaken. You might want to post this in the slackline forum, those slackers sure do know their webbing.

If there are no thread breaks, no burned or melted areas, and you cut out tightened up knots regularly, and all those things look good, then if it has some stretch left in it, it should be good.
I have seen old, hardly any stretch left, webbing with scuffed up areas of thread, get bombed on by lowline slackliners, and hold up. And theirs is tensioned pretty tight before they land big airs on it.
So if it is in good shape it will probably hold if it has to, but webbing is 0.25 cents per foot, so don't take any chances.

el_jerko

Jan 14, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #5 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tend to go by how it feels. If it is slick and supple it is probably fine. If it is stiff and cruchy and you can see clouds of little fibers coming off of when you work it, then its clearly no good. If it is somewhere in between, I would not trust my life to it.

kubi

Jan 16, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #6 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...if it has some stretch left in it, it should be good.

your webbing stretches?

I replace mine every 2 years or whenever it starts to look shitty. Webbing is so cheap there's no reason to take a chance on it.

landgolier

Jan 16, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #7 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Webbing does stretch, set up a slackline with new webbing and you will get to enjoy this phenomenon. Probably has more to do with tightening of the weave than any actual fiber stretch, but whatever.

For the OP, as long as its stored in the dark, you can pretty much judge it by abrasion/fuzz. I'm assuming this is for TR purposes. Under all conditions I might say ditch it after 5 years of regular use regardless, but if it has been unused for a couple of years, I see no reason to worry.

microbarn

Jan 16, 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #8 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I replace mine every 2 years...
According to your profile, you have been climbing for a week. So, wouldn't you replace yours every week and a day?

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 16, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #9 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

your webbing stretches?

I replace mine every 2 years or whenever it starts to look s---. Webbing is so cheap there's no reason to take a chance on it.

ALL nylon tubular webbing stretches, call a manufacturer!

kubi

Jan 16, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

your webbing stretches?

I replace mine every 2 years or whenever it starts to look s---. Webbing is so cheap there's no reason to take a chance on it.

ALL nylon tubular webbing stretches, call a manufacturer!

no no, I believe you. I've just never seen nylon slings stretch significantly, even when using long pieces to set up a top-rope.

landgolier

Jan 17, 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #11 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It takes some weight to get significant stretch on it, plus most of the time you have a dynamic rope in the system too so that's reducing the peak load a lot. It is something you have to be aware of, tho, as the stretch can cause webbing to saw over any edge it runs over, which can lead TR anchors suddenly going single-strand, and even airborne meatsacks.

[puts down "Announcement for all noobs reading this" megaphone]

There was a thread here a while back where somebody was trying to funk out pins using a sling rather than a cable and not having much luck at it, that guy can now tell you everything you want to know about webbing stretch :wink:

coolklimber

Jan 17, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definity what its been through.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 17, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While this hasn't been a manufacturers decree I use an accelerated rope use system for my webbing:

Shelf life (unused before it is no longer suitable for use at all) 8 years
A few times a year - 5 years
once a month average - 2 to 3 years
Once a week average - 1 years
Near daily use - Six months

This assumes it is stored cool, dry and dark and kept relatively clean and of course it shold be retired if it starts looking manky or has been exposed to chemicals, acids, extreme loads, abrasion or left out in UV for extended periods of time. Usually webbing takes abrasion so that's what kills it, not time. Abrasion inspection is much harder to explain off the web, but if it looks / feels unsafe, retire it.

My suggestion, contact a company like bluewater or sterling for a more specific recommendation if you feel the need.

azrockclimber

Jan 17, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well then this Porter is for you
http://www.jackofthewood.com/ales2.html

I should have been a tad more specific in my question. Assuming the webbing wasn't noticeably abused and I have used it on and off for 4-5 years and kept it stored dry.

I have ALOT of it, safety is first, i'd just hate to toss it. I'm just unsure of the material's life span.

whoa....toss it man...You have been using the same webbing for 4 or 5 years :shock: ...NO GOOD> dude..it's like .18 cents per foot.

dish out a few bucks for your life.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 17, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
whoa....toss it man...You have been using the same webbing for 4 or 5 years :shock: ...NO GOOD> dude..it's like .18 cents per foot.
dish out a few bucks for your life.

If it hasn't been used much at all and its still in good shape it's probably time to retire it on age alone. Nylon ages, it reduces it's ability to stretch and in doing so it may still be strong in slow pull tests but it doesn't handle shock loads nearly as well as it becomes more and more static (i.e. reduced elongation).

njclimber23

Jan 22, 2006, 4:33 AM
Post #16 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont forget UV rays. they damage the webbing and their damage is unseen

iclime

Jan 23, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #17 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
dont forget UV rays. they damage the webbing and their damage is unseen
I've certainly heard this a number of times, but unless you're putting your webbing under an ultraviolet light, it's getting the UV from the sun. Ever seen tat at a rappel station? The color fades substantially--it looks sun bleached. And it feels stiff and sort of brittle, not silky and smooth like new webbing. I don't know if this is from UV or just weather in general, but don't use your webbing if it looks like this. I'm not saying that if your webbing is above tat-status it is good for use, but I am saying that UV exposure is not magical, and if your webbing still looks the same as when you bought it, I would think that it has not been greatly compromised by ultraviolet light.
M

knot_climbing

Jan 24, 2006, 2:06 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for allllllllll the great input.

The webbing on inspection is in great condition. Almost showroom.

It is like I said 4-5 years old.

I wasn't concerned about cost. It was more of a 'What a waste' attitude.

Looking at it, it stinks that I have to toss all that stuff and can't find a use for it.

Safety is the key here though.

Buying new.

bill413

Jan 24, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #19 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wasn't concerned about cost. It was more of a 'What a waste' attitude.

Looking at it, it stinks that I have to toss all that stuff and can't find a use for it.

Here - maybe this will help:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=97633
101 things to do with old gear

mendou

Jan 24, 2006, 3:35 PM
Post #20 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I replace mine every 2 years...
According to your profile, you have been climbing for a week. So, wouldn't you replace yours every week and a day?

hahaha.. :lol: thats right thats his profile says but i think is just because he forgot update his profile, cause his profile says that he is member since Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:25 am so thats why he dont have just one week climbing...

pico23

Jan 26, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #21 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First let me give a big sup' to everyone. As a newbie to this forum I hope to gain much wisdom :wink:

First round is on me!!

I did try to perform a search, however the search function appears to be e x t r e m e l y slooooooooooow and when it did return my querrie the results were numerous.

So let the bashing begin if this question has been beaten in the ground.

What is the general life of webbing? Do you base it on the day it left the spool? The hours on the rock? Falls?

Your input is appreciated!

When it looks worn or faded I replace it. Probably 5 years of climbing on slings. less than a year on rappel anchors. I've been using the same top roping cord and webbing for probably 6 years. With the cord I realize there could be core damage from sand and stuff but the sheaths still look new. Granted I don't top rope much on rock.

Anyway, I don't think there is a number of years or months. It's dependent on conditions the webbing or cord was stored in. I worry much more about elasticity of my dynamic ropes.

As far as not seeing UV damage, you definitely see it. and if you store your gear someplace out of the sun it is only being exposed to UV a small part of it's life.

iclime

Jan 28, 2006, 8:53 PM
Post #22 of 22 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
101 things to do with old gear
Agreed! Don't throw out your webbing. At some point you will want to do something besides a life-safety app with it. I've probably used fifty or more feet in the last two years for one project or another. Keep it or send it to me!
M

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook