RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

zen_alpinist

Jan 18, 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Igloo building in RMNP
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for someone(s) to come up with me this Saturday (Jan. 21st) to try out the new igloo building tool (ice box) I acquired.

I want to build one (or more, time permitting) up in the forests under Black Lake at RMNP. Depending on how many people help out can be a factor too. Could be closer to Mills Lake area as well.

Whomever helps out will know where a nice, semi-permanent shelter will be to stay at for their climbs/trips up at Black Lake. Will probably try to make the largest one possible with the tool, about 11ft diameter.

I won't be staying in it this weekend as I have other obligations come Sunday, so if the helper(s) want to sleep over this weekend, have at it. But for future usage, I figure whomever helps out just exchanges emails with everyone to find out who might be using it on any given day.

I've built one with one other person, and it took around 4 hours...but it was the first time through and a lot of experimentation. Should be better this time round.

Send me a PM asap if interested.

Cheers!

zozo

Jan 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Re: Igloo building in RMNP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like I will be hiking right by you. We'll pop in for a sec and see how they are coming.

outdoorsie

Jan 20, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sent you a PM.

go_dyno

Jan 21, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is an igloo building tool?

Is there a link to someplace on the web that can teach you basic igloo building 101 ?

Thats really a great idea!

God Bless

zen_alpinist

Jan 21, 2006, 2:48 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The igloo tool is called the 'Ice Box' and is made by Ed from Longmont, CO.

http://www.grandshelters.com/ is the website of the company.

Have had moderate success, and believe the system to be sound. Strength of the device could be improved, but may sacrifice some of the lightweight factor (only about 4.5lbs).

It functions by using a box which you fill and pack with snow, which in turn is attached to an adjustable, length pole staked in the center of your work area. You pack in the snow, and move and fill in again. It builds an igloo in an upward, inwardly curving spiral; all the snow on top is supported through all the snow on the bottom.

And I can attest to the claims on the site that you can indeed build one with sugary, granual, depth hoar (only got 4 tiers done due to time, but it was strong).

Zozo and Outdoorsie: might be looking for a site around upper Mills lake instead, shorter distance to hike in. Still not sure if I'll be skiing at Copper instead. :)

If we're in the area, I'll be wearing blue snow bibs and tote around a red, wild things pack. My GF generally wears black snow bibs and probably a black down jacket.

Oh, and as for teaching igloo 101 techniques, I am sure a good google search will help lead you in the right direction for learning traditional building techniques.

Cheers!

igloo_ed

Mar 2, 2006, 2:42 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I'd forgotten about this thread and happened to spot a suspicious pile of snow. The rest of the group went right on by.
http://24.9.85.115:100/Photos/Picasa/2006-02-26_Snowshoe_Black_Lake/target35.html Least ways, I think it's yours.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook