Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chrisparedes

Jan 19, 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #26 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Re: EVERY climber should practice Yoga! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For those who think Yoga is girly or whatever, I challenge you do to a full 10 minutes of it. Many poses require a great deal of strength and body tension. It is not just stretching and contorting your body in weird. In fact several poses you probably already know, but once you learn how to properly breath, you realize how difficult and strenuous it is to hold a pose. Real men do yoga.

aarong

Jan 19, 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #27 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those requesting scientific results on yoga and physical benefits here's a link to a recent study from the Annals of Internal Medicine (Dec 20, 2005) about yoga and chronic lower back pain:

http://www.annals.org/...tent/full/143/12/849

jt512

Jan 19, 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #28 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I totally agree, I cant tell you how many times my ability to crush a beer can between my ass checks has helped my ability to send 5.12s, and its all thanks to yoga. Also, it gives people outside of the climbing community a chance to see how big my bulge is in my tights.

Were the beer cans empty? If not, the increase in climbing peformance could have been the direct result of beer enema. If this were true, then one could climb stronger by just pouring a little beer up their ass, obviating the need to spend hours upon hours sitting in unfomfortable, contrived positions while inhaling incense.

Jay

dingus

Jan 19, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #29 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking of practicing Santaria, does that count?

DMT

raymondjeffrey

Jan 19, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #30 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like 'Yin' Yoga because it focusses on stretching and flexibility. The teacher is hot too. I am pretty blocky so anything that increased flexibility in my core and lower back and hamstrings is a good idea.

Jefro

jred

Jan 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #31 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is great, personally I found it helped my core strength quite a bit. The thing about yoga is that for me it was not sport specific enough.I like plates or gymnastic training more, less non-sense, more obvious purpose.

dkennedy

Jan 20, 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #32 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Were the beer cans empty? If not, the increase in climbing peformance could have been the direct result of beer enema. If this were true, then one could climb stronger by just pouring a little beer up their ass, obviating the need to spend hours upon hours sitting in unfomfortable, contrived positions while inhaling incense.

Jay

Man I learn something new everyday on this site. I will try this out tonight and report my results.

Partner the_mitt

Jan 20, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #33 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(This post was edited by the_mitt on Nov 14, 2006, 8:13 PM)

granite_grrl

Jan 20, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #34 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I did my first class this evening and really enjoyed it. It was relaxing and difficult at the same time. After going once I don't really care if it helps my climbing.

Mitt

Hey Sean!!! Where you doing yoga in Hali?

howzit_rockin

Jan 20, 2006, 2:03 AM
Post #35 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been doing yoga now for about 2 months and I think it's awesome. It's totally helped me with my climbing and my work (concrete). I'm not really into the religous aspect of it, but that part can be respectfully overlooked (and I do mean respectfully). Even those who don't follow Hinduism can benefit from its philsophy. Yoga without the religous aspect is not just stretching...it's also about strength and focus. I just got a series of dvd's from a store and started them. The instructor is making a lot of money and she is in no way a qualified Hindu, but I can look past those things. I'll probably get burned out on the same routine after a while, but by then I'll probably be able to mix things up a bit on my own. I have one dvd with a power vinyasa routine...which is more of a strength workout, but it also incorporates the flexibility as well. I would recommend yoga for all climbers.

Partner the_mitt

Jan 20, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #36 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(This post was edited by the_mitt on Nov 14, 2006, 8:14 PM)

granite_grrl

Jan 20, 2006, 2:23 AM
Post #37 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am doing it at a church out by my way in prospect. First night and I am hooked already, hopefully it will help my climbing but thats really secondary.

Mitt

My mother was looking to get into Yoga a little, and Prospect would be much more convient than Halifax. Could you PM me the details?? Thanks.

paganmonkeyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 2:34 AM
Post #38 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm thinking of practicing Santaria, does that count?

DMT

depends...do you got no crystal ball ? /ducks...

paganmonkeyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #39 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Heh, I thought this was funny:

In reply to:
According to Tantric philosophy and Yoga, a chakra is a points of energy in the astral body. There are seven primary chakras, which are associated with various parts of the body, emotions, desires, thoughts, powers, and health.* New Age gurus think chakras have colors and give rise to auras, which reveal one's spiritual and physical health, as well as one's karma. The alleged energy of the chakras is not scientifically measurable, however, and is at best a metaphysical chimera and at worst an anatomical falsehood.

don't the chakras and the meridian energy centers line up nicely and correspond with the actual nervous system trunking and branching, anatomically speaking ? I seem to recall seeing some diagrams showing that they in fact do...

climbingyogi

Jan 20, 2006, 2:59 AM
Post #40 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hola,

This is definitely my topic. 2 years ago I started yoga 'cause I wanted to become a stronger climber. Well I got way more than I could have ever imagined. yoga has given me a whole new persepctive on life itself. It calms my mind and body, as it helps me when I'm climbing in difficult situations. Yoga involves breath work as well which we all know can be very useful while climbing.

Healing...with yoga...dealing with my emotions has been a great support for me. Some people do get injured doing yoga. Take it slow. Also finding a good teacher is important to start. I know it can be very intense but stick with it if you enjoy it. The awareness it can bring you is incredible.

Peace and gratitude

Lynne

wonderwoman

Jan 20, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #41 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently started going to a power yoga class at my gym once a week, and I really feel that it has helped my focus in climbing. For starters, I focus on breathing through hard moves which has helped me a lot. I have also gotten more flexible and generally more focused in my climbing. But I have also become more focused in life, too. Hey, it works for me!

annak

Jan 20, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #42 of 42 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga rules!!! Any serious training includes comprehensive stretching routine to complement strength training, speedup recovery, and of course to increase flexibility. For climbers, some other Yoga elements like conscious breathing, balance poses, and overall body awareness offer additional benefits. Our gym offers Yoga class on that is very climbing specific, and has no "spiritual" component, I like it a lot. The weeks I miss it, I feel much tighter and achy, and it takes me longer to recover after hard climbing weekend.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook