RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

coolklimber

Jan 23, 2006, 4:33 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Lead Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is lead climbing? & what is it like in a gym? What gear do I need?, (excluding harness, shoes etc.) Please pm/email me if you can answer my questions.

Partner tisar

Jan 23, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lead Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:troll:

Yaahwn. You're too lame to even deserve a troll rating. Go get playing on the Autobahn. :?

- Daniel

gochubug

Jan 23, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Search the site: you'll find all the answers to your questions already here many times over :roll:

styndall

Jan 23, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yaahwn. You're too lame to even deserve a troll rating. Go get playing on the Autobahn. :?

- Daniel

WTF?

You people call "troll" waaaaaaaaay too frequently. You could call it "easily researched question," maybe, or "obvious," but troll?

You need to work on your definitions.

Partner jammer

Jan 23, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

- Daniel

WTF?

You people call "troll" waaaaaaaaay too frequently. You could call it "easily researched question," maybe, or "obvious," but troll?

You need to work on your definitions.

:troll: :wink:

qtm

Jan 23, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look up the definition of a troll. Noobs posting questions that have been asked thousands of times before isn't trolling, it's just them being clueless noobs. Which is why there's a beginner's forum, so noobs can ask these questions without bothering you "experienced" people in the "real" forums.

qtm

Jan 23, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look up the definition of a troll. Noobs posting questions that have been asked thousands of times before isn't trolling, it's just them being clueless noobs. Which is why there's a beginner's forum, so noobs can ask these questions without bothering you "experienced" people in the "real" forums.

iclime

Jan 23, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is lead climbing? & what is it like in a gym? What gear do I need?, (excluding harness, shoes etc.) Please pm/email me if you can answer my questions.

Oh, what the hell... prolly a troll, but I'm bored.
This answer is specific to a gym/inside situation. Going outside is, of course, a whole different ballgame.
You know how, normally, in the gym you and your belayer start out standing next to each other, but the rope runs from your tie-in knot, up through a big hunk of metal ("anchor") at the top of the plastic, and then back down through your belayer's belay device? That's called a top-rope. More specifically, a slingshot top-rope. As you climb, your belayer takes in slack, so if you fall, your belayer locks off and you should only fall, say, a foot.
In lead climbing, you and your belayer stand next to each other, but the rope runs straight from your tie-in knot to your belayer's device. When you start climbing, your belayer is feeding out slack, not taking it in. As you climb up the wall, you'll notice these neat little bolt-dinky piece of nylon-carabiner setups ("'draws") every two feet or so. Okay, I'm being sarcastic. It's probably more like three feet. Some nice person put them there just for you and every other climber on the route, so you can clip your rope through the carabiner as you climb up. These intermediate points of protection keep you from falling to the ground if you fall.
If you do fall while leading, you fall twice the distance between you and your last bolt, plus rope stretch. It's a big deal, or at least it can be, so try to avoid it.
When you get to the top, you clip into the anchor, which is typically two 'draws right next to each other. Your belayer can then safely lower you back to the ground, unless the two of you are just too bad-ass to handle that, in which case your belay should rocket you back to the ground and then lock off at the last second, thus impressing all who hold you in awe.
You can then untie and pull the rope back through the draws. If you partner wants to lead it, sometime you try to leave the first draw clipped so that they start out on what is essentially a top-rope.
Leading, even in the gym, is quite a bit more dangerous than top-roping. You're taking more direct responsibility for your own safety. There's more ways for you to do dangerous things, for instance back-clipping (rope comes unclipped from the 'draw on a fall) and Z-clipping (you clip out of order so it looks like a Z, or maybe an N).
Most gyms offer lead classes, and if this is your first exposure to it, it'll probably be in your interest to take it. Your gym will probably want to give you a test in any case.
Do a search, this is a fairly basic and broad topic, and there is a bevy of information on it from a variety of sources.
Avoid dying.
M

cully_larson

Jan 23, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Troll or not, that's pretty much one of the laziest questions around. I took 5 seconds to google "what is lead climbing" and the first result answers his question. You don't even have to wade through rc.com posts.

Partner tisar

Jan 23, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Look up the posts in his profile. Noobs posting questions that have been asked thousands of times have a good chance to get me answering them patient and politely as far as I am not a clueless noob myself. This is why trolls got me punking especially in the beginners forum, cause it keeps "experienced" people from contributing here and stick to the "real" forums.

:roll:

- Daniel

reg

Jan 23, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

koolklimber wrote: " Please pm/email me if you can answer my questions.
"!???? why not read the forum for the answers???

theonlynebraskaclimber

Jan 24, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is messed up how "experienced" forum members will jump all over the new members if they ask a obvious question. If you have a problem with stupid questions then stay out of the beginners forum. Isn't that what the beginners forum is for? If you have nothing better to do then sit around and make fun of people that don't know as much about climbing then you do, you have bigger problems then asking a stupid question.

mcfoley

Jan 24, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you need to change your name to UNcoolklimber 1st.

ajkclay

Jan 24, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, calling someone out for asking a question in beginners when they have only a handful of posts, and then flaming them with crap like "do a search"

I call that a troll.

What the hell do you think a beginner's forum is for?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that they may not know the ropes around here.

Beginners is not the place for hostility, say something positive or get out.

Or should we just close this forum so you can't be offended by such atrocities as someone asking a question that's been done before? Geez! Do a search yourself! Look how many threads there are listed at the bottom of each thread with similar content. Let me know how many you find with no "similar topics" listed.

Not too many are there? So where do you get off flaming a newcomer?

In Australia we call that cherry-picking. Find a harder target, go pick on Curt or JT you heroes.

Adam

qtm

Jan 24, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Look up the posts in his profile. Noobs posting questions that have been asked thousands of times have a good chance to get me answering them patient and politely as far as I am not a clueless noob myself. This is why trolls got me punking especially in the beginners forum, cause it keeps "experienced" people from contributing here and stick to the "real" forums.

:roll:

- Daniel

And again, look up the definition of a troll. Someone posting here saying "trad sucks" is a troll. Someone asking "Why is sport better than trad" might be a sophisticated troll. But someone asking "What is trad" is just a clueless beginner. Someone who asks a lot of clueless questions is not a troll, they just need to be given a little more personal guidance. And really, that's exactly what the OP asked for, PMs with more information. It's ludicrous to call someone a troll when they request you answer them privately.

Partner tisar

Jan 24, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, no harsh feelings here. :roll:

If coolklimber was such a clueless noob (now he might be clueless anyway), it seems strange to me that he comments on different topics which take a little more insight to the climbing world:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1293793#1293793
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=1290539#1290539

I admit, this is no proof. On the other hand: If he's just a clueless noob he really deserves a good spank for contributing at all... And the 'boulder with helmet' thing was just ridiculous...

Soo, ck, if you're no troll then:

1.) STFU
2.) Check out the 'help' button in the top menu
3.) STFU for another couple of days
4.) extensively use the search function
5.) Come back and ask questions which are worth answering

@qtm: I really try to give what I can to be usefull - this time I got angry. Sorry.

- Daniel

* edit to fix coding

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook