First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rufusandcompany

Jan 25, 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #1 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Best Drum Solo In A Top Hit
Report this Post
Can't Post

List your favorite drum solo(s) from top hit(s).

My three are:

- Moby Dick, by John Bonham - Led Zepplin

- Tank, by Carl Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

- Neil Peart in pretty much any Rush song. My vote for best drummer of the century.

anykineclimb

Jan 25, 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #2 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Drum Solo In A Top Hit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best "drum" solo. ever.

http://www.filecabi.net/video/keyboad-Rock.html

rufusandcompany

Jan 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #3 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Best "drum" solo. ever.

http://www.filecabi.net/video/keyboad-Rock.html

Very cool

lordjim

Jan 25, 2006, 1:42 PM
Post #4 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The opening solo for "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen. I think that Eddie Studebaker plays but I'm not sure.

marcallain

Jan 25, 2006, 2:36 PM
Post #5 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote is for Neil Peart.

I've seen his solo twice in concert and it's simply amazing!

Partner pharmboy

Jan 25, 2006, 2:45 PM
Post #6 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

P.H. Naffah.... IMHO the absolute best drummer to ever hold a set of sticks.

tradchick

Jan 25, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #7 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

John Bonham gets my vote.

Also memorable, the drum solo in Iron Butterfly's classic In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Partner russman

Jan 25, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #8 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Also memorable, the drum solo in Iron Butterfly's classic In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

i was thinking of that one too...what is that one, like 5+ minutes long, in teh middle of an 8-9 minute song....that one is a very good one too....and Back in The Day :roll: 8^)

Partner pharmboy

Jan 25, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #9 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What was the band that featured two drummers... maybe late 70's or early 80's? Genesis? I recall seeing it as a kid on the "Blue Jean Network" and remember that it rocked.... damn, who was that...hmmm.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 25, 2006, 4:12 PM
Post #10 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It may not be technically the "best" but how can this thread exist without a mention of "Wipe Out?"

edge

Jan 25, 2006, 4:14 PM
Post #11 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What was the band that featured two drummers... maybe late 70's or early 80's? Genesis? I recall seeing it as a kid on the "Blue Jean Network" and remember that it rocked.... damn, who was that...hmmm.

Grateful Dead. Hart and Kreutzeman.

No Dead show was complete without "smurd" (drums spelled backwards) leading into "space."

kachoong

Jan 25, 2006, 4:21 PM
Post #12 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....not quite a solo as such, but a pretty awesome performance.... Nick Mason..... Time.... off Delicate Sound of Thunder.... those flouro drumsticks!

tarzan420

Jan 25, 2006, 4:23 PM
Post #13 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Grateful Dead. Hart and Kreutzeman.

No Dead show was complete without "smurd" (drums spelled backwards) leading into "space."
coulda been the Allman Brothers as well, even though that was more 1 drummer and 1 percussionist.

My vote for best (short) drum solo would have to be the one in Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" - a drummer soloing, with other musicians backing (ie. like a solo on most any other instrument), not to mention in 5/4 time.

jaflorence

Jan 25, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #14 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to get into intellectual, odd drumming styles and solos that are still mainstream, the best I can come up with would be Danny Carey of Tool. Tim Alexander of Primus is another good example.

The thing is, I really don't enjoy the stuff you'll typically hear in top hits and mainstream raido. I don't want to take away at all what these drummers have done, and I do admire and respect Peart, Bonham, and the like. But if I want to hear really good drummers, I'm going to listen to something specifically for that, not just whatever might be on the radio. Give me Buddy Rich (ok, maybe not so much him), Dave Stevens, Sonny Emry, or any of the other guys you've either never heard of or have to seek out.

bobd1953

Jan 25, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #15 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ginger Baker, "Do What You Like" Blind Faith.

dingus

Jan 25, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #16 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coulda been a lot of bands... Doobie Bros, Lynrd Skynrd, The Dead all sported two drummers.

Sorry, two-drummer solos are never going to rate in my book.

You'll have to invoke the Way Back Machine on the Obscure Setting, but trust me on this...

Rick Lee, the drummer for Ten Years After. Classics, One of These Days, I'm Going Home, Choo Choo Mama, Slow Blues in C... if you never heard that man Rick Lee play, I'm afraid you never heard the best. The best fusion of skilled jazz (the REAL drummers) and the power of rock.

His best solo is "Hobbit" from Ten Years After Live.

I really like the deep heavy beat of modern hard rock. Guitar and drum solos don't carry much truck anymore, but the beat goes on anyway.

Cheers
DMT

rufusandcompany

Jan 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #17 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you want to get into intellectual, odd drumming styles and solos that are still mainstream, the best I can come up with would be Danny Carey of Tool. Tim Alexander of Primus is another good example.

The thing is, I really don't enjoy the stuff you'll typically hear in top hits and mainstream raido. I don't want to take away at all what these drummers have done, and I do admire and respect Peart, Bonham, and the like. But if I want to hear really good drummers, I'm going to listen to something specifically for that, not just whatever might be on the radio. Give me Buddy Rich (ok, maybe not so much him), Dave Stevens, Sonny Emry, or any of the other guys you've either never heard of or have to seek out.

Danny Carey is a good drummer, although he, in my opinion, isn't anywhere near in the same league as Neil Peart, who can almost make his drums sing. Tim Alexander is a phenomenal drummer too, but, again, not quite in the same league as NP. It's fun to see that people actually pay attention to the drummers. Thanks for the responses.

KC

rufusandcompany

Jan 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #18 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Guitar and drum solos don't carry much truck anymore

I would agree that drums solos are a thing of the past, although I will maintain that Bonham's Moby Dick solo fit seemlessly into that song better than any other drum solo that I've ever heard.

Partner wideguy

Jan 25, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #19 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anything by Peart is hard to go wrong by but my favorite all time

1938(??) Gene Krupa - Sing Sing Sing with the Benny Goodman Orchestra. Widely considered the first extended Drum solo in Jazz. Most recordings don't do it justice but if you can find a good quality copy you'll be amazed. The speed of his stick work, the driving pace and the way it fits so seamlessly with the song... IMHO Krupa is the standard that all modern drummers strive for.

(And Sing Sing Sing WAS a hit song.... for it's time 8^) )

Oh course, Drum Boogie is some pretty amazing sticking and Krupa's many duels with Buddy Rich are worth seeking out as well.

dingus

Jan 25, 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #20 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I would agree that drums solos are a thing of the past, although I will maintain that Bonham's Moby Dick solo fit seemlessly into that song better than any other drum solo that I've ever heard.

I exceeded my lifetime quota of the Mighty Zep sometime in the mid 90's. Saw em play, owned every album, played them till every note of every song was permanently etched into me brain.

Then one day I puked Led Zeppelin, projectile vomited all the lads all over the baking asphalt and drove away from the crusty mess.

So obviously I can relate to the song in question. My 'no Led Zeppelin, none of of the time' radio refuses to play it.

BUT... Bonham wasn't even remotely in Pearts league bro, avd we both know it. He was a basher and the right dude for Zep, and that is a classic solo (I can hear it in me brain... MAKE IT STOP!), but the dude was a basher in the end. Peart can actually drum like a jazzman, different league altogether.

I mean no offense if Zep is your all time or anything. The 12,713th time I heard Stairway to Heaven (you should hear Dolly Parton's version, yuk yuk) was the straw that broke the Dumbass's back.

DMT

rufusandcompany

Jan 25, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #21 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I exceeded my lifetime quota of the Mighty Zep sometime in the mid 90's. Saw em play, owned every album, played them till every note of every song was permanently etched into me brain.

Then one day I puked Led Zeppelin, projectile vomited all the lads all over the baking asphalt and drove away from the crusty mess.

So obviously I can relate to the song in question. My 'no Led Zeppelin, none of of the time' radio refuses to play it.

BUT... Bonham wasn't even remotely in Pearts league bro, avd we both know it. He was a basher and the right dude for Zep, and that is a classic solo (I can hear it in me brain... MAKE IT STOP!), but the dude was a basher in the end. Peart can actually drum like a jazzman, different league altogether.

I mean no offense if Zep is your all time or anything. The 12,713th time I heard Stairway to Heaven (you should hear Dolly Parton's version, yuk yuk) was the straw that broke the Dumbass's back.

DMT

Dingus,

I agree with you, 100%, that Bonham can't hold a candle to Peart. You jumped the gun, because I basically said that in the OP. I said that Peart was my pick for best drummer of the century. My point about Moby Dick, whether or not you're over it, is that the drum solo, more than in most other songs, fit that song like a glove. We part company in that Bonham is a basher.

I, too, have sent LZ packing. They walked the plank years ago. My current tastes run more toward bands like: The Dave Mathews Band, Coldplay, David Gray, and the likes. Not must for nostalgia, although I never turn down an opportunity to crank up a Sublime tune.

Well, at least we have managed to state the obvious; "Peart is the man."

jaflorence

Jan 26, 2006, 7:32 AM
Post #22 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's fun to see that people actually pay attention to the drummers.

I've been drumming for well over half my short life, and I'm at the point that I don't really have a choice anymore. That's ok, though.

To be honest, I never really got into Neal Peart. I do like what I've heard so far, and he is absolutely skilled, way beyond myself, a truly talented musician (which is different than just a drummer). Their singer just grated on my, and I couldn't really dig Peart's playing like I can Carrey, Beauford (!), or this kid I know personally that recently graduated from UF. Solos are great. It really can show your strengths and diversities as a drummer. However, if you can feel the music and really groove, that accomplishes much more. That's why I love Carter Beauford so much - the man just grooves so smooth and sweet, throwing in lots of tasty licks that still groove and fit in.

rufusandcompany

Jan 26, 2006, 9:16 AM
Post #23 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
It's fun to see that people actually pay attention to the drummers.

I've been drumming for well over half my short life, and I'm at the point that I don't really have a choice anymore. That's ok, though.

To be honest, I never really got into Neal Peart. I do like what I've heard so far, and he is absolutely skilled, way beyond myself, a truly talented musician (which is different than just a drummer). Their singer just grated on my, and I couldn't really dig Peart's playing like I can Carrey, Beauford (!), or this kid I know personally that recently graduated from UF. Solos are great. It really can show your strengths and diversities as a drummer. However, if you can feel the music and really groove, that accomplishes much more. That's why I love Carter Beauford so much - the man just grooves so smooth and sweet, throwing in lots of tasty licks that still groove and fit in.

I never actually like Rush, and I would like to have heard Peart play with a, as you put it, "grooving" band. There is no doubt in my mind that he could handle anything that is put before him.

I actually didn't expect so many responses from this thread. It's cool to know that people actually pay attention to the drummers. They are the heartbeat of the music.

Cheers,

KC

vivalargo

Jan 27, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #24 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Listen to Steve Gadd's drumming on Steely Dan's hit, Aja (Asia), basically soloing all the way through. Gadd was the guy that Pert and all the rest emulated. He changed drumming forever, just as Jones, Morello, Rich and Cobham did before him.

Rock and roll hasn't really fashioned any drummers of the caliber of those jazzers, many of whom can play any style (Gadd has played with Clapton for years). Bill Buford, formally with Robert Fripp, was one rocker who went onto fantastic things.

This is a fun topic to me because drumming was my first love and I played all the way through college.

JL

squierbypetzl

Jan 27, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #25 of 36 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Donīt remember who the the drummer is, but Brubeckīs "Caravan" speaks for itself. One of my favorite jazz songs, Iīd near kill to see it played live

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook