Premier Sponsor:

dontfall

Jan 25, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Jeep Owners-Tire and Rim size help please
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a 1988 YJ Jeep Wrangler. I have 235/75/15's on currently. The factory size stock tire is a 205. When I was looking at purchasing new tires awhile back, I was interested in upgrading to perhaps 30-10.5-15. Obviously a much much bigger size tire. I was told that since I have a 15 inch rim, I cannot do this. I would need to purchase a 16 inch rim. The room in the wheel well would not be enough to hold the tire I was wanting. Is this actually true or was the guy trying to sell me a hefty set of rims that I truly wouldn't need?

Any help is appericated.

Thanks all!!

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Partner russman

Jan 25, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jeep Owners-Tire and Rim size help please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Putting on Tire Changer Professional Hat now...

a 31x1050-15 is a bit bigger than the 235 you currently have on...in fact the comparison is as follows..

Code
31" (Tall tire) x 10.50" (width accross tread)  x 15" (rim size)= Overall height of  the tire is about 31" tall

Code
235 mm (across tread 9.25") x 75 (aspect ratio of sidewall) x 15" (size of rim)= 29" high and about 9.3" wide

The biggest issue with what you currently have is gonna be yoru rim width. It is prolly a 6-7" wheel and you will need at least an 8" for the 31's, otherwise it will look like you are riding on balloons..and if you took it out wheelin'...you would be very prone to popping a sidewall since they will be sticking out so far...

Is the Jeep stock....the 31's would prolly have a hard time fitting under a stock, without any lift help....anywho...hope that helps..

The Russman, Tire Changer Professional
Les Schwab Tire Centers

In reply to:
I own a 1988 YJ Jeep Wrangler. I have 235/75/15's on currently. The factory size stock tire is a 205. When I was looking at purchasing new tires awhile back, I was interested in upgrading to perhaps 30-10.5-15. Obviously a much much bigger size tire. I was told that since I have a 15 inch rim, I cannot do this. I would need to purchase a 16 inch rim. The room in the wheel well would not be enough to hold the tire I was wanting. Is this actually true or was the guy trying to sell me a hefty set of rims that I truly wouldn't need?

Any help is appericated.

Thanks all!!

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Partner russman

Jan 25, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #3 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn posting bugs....postcount ++

Partner wideguy

Jan 25, 2006, 4:04 PM
Post #4 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From Jeep tech.com

In reply to:
For Wrangler YJ

31" tires
Suspension - No lift required for street use but there may be some slight plastic fender rubbing. 2" to 3" lifts are recommended for trail use to increase articulation
Body - No lift is required but a 1" or 2" body lift can be used in place of a suspension lift to gain clearance and eliminate rubbing
Fender - No trimming is required and none is recommended

Google is your friend.

wjca

Jan 25, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #5 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have a 1995 YJ. I ran 32-12.5 (or 11.5, I can't remember which) BF Goodwrench Mud Terrain tires on 15 inch factory rims. I also had a 1.5 inch shackle lift and a 2.5 inch Skyjacker suspension lift to make room for them. That thing hummed on the highway. That large of tires also caused the speedometer and odometer to be off. I was always going about 5-8 mph faster than what the speedometer said, and the odometer read less miles that were actually on the jeep. Other than the fact that the little four cylinder had trouble turning those big tires on the highway (it had no trouble turning them offroad, especially in 4 low), running larger tires was not a big deal

My brother has a 1992 YJ with a 2 inch suspension lift that he runs 30-10.5 BF Goodwrench All Terrains on 15 inch factory rims. He bought the bigger tires before he put the lift on it. He doesn't have any problems.

So to answer your question, you definately don't need bigger rims, but jacking up the body a couple of inches wouldn't hurt. The best way to do it and still get out relatively cheap is to buy heavy duty shackles that will give you 1 or 2 inches of lift. The best way and most expensive way is the suspension lift. Don't waste your money on a body lift.

Chris

tribaltalon

Jan 25, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #6 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont listen to a les swab or discount tire guy. they dont know anything. they've told me many times what i cant put on a rim, and of course they were wrong. now, you probably have a 15x7 rim, if its a 15x8, you can fit up to a 12.5 with no problems. with a 15x7 i'd stay with a 31x10.5. you could put a mild body lift on it and fit those 31s no problem. or, seeing as its a yj, you could do a shackle lift which is super easy and get another inch or two out of it. just depends on what you want to do with it. so what you would want to look for is a 31x10.5/r15.. if the tire was a 31x10.5/r16, then you would need a 16 inch rim.. the r15 signifies the height of the rim. and you can fit 31 inch tires on a 15x7 rim no problem, it wont look stupid. les swab guy, you should know that its not the height, its the width. if he goes with a 31x12.5 tire, then yes, the tire would balloon out really bad. ;)

Partner russman

Jan 25, 2006, 4:47 PM
Post #7 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
dont listen to a les swab or discount tire guy. they dont know anything. they've told me many times what i cant put on a rim, and of course they were wrong. now, you probably have a 15x7 rim, les swab guy, you should know that its not the height, its the width. if he goes with a 31x12.5 tire, then yes, the tire would balloon out really bad. ;)

Must have had various bad expierences....as I don't need to try tp push new products on ppl if that is not what they are looking for....

you are right....the height shounld not cause a prob....but teh width is what could could rub...every rig is different and without seeing what exactly anyone has...it is had to describe what CAN and WILL fit. The examples of the previous YJ owners is great...but teh 90 series are gonna be differnt than an 88....I have slapped a set of 20's on a Grand Cherokee (like a 00 or 01) and then they also had a grand cherokee the year previous model...and they would not fit....so it will be a trial and error....every rig is a little differnt....good luck and make sure you get what you are lookign for in terms of off road tires strickly...Hwy and 4x4 tire combo....but takl to the tire guy and let him know exactly what you are gonna be usign the rig for and find the right time.....

A Wrangler MT is not the best tire if you are never gonna take it wheelin' but it might look cool...there will deffinatley be sacrifices made. Anywho...good luck 8^)

dontfall

Jan 25, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #8 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. I do take it offroading now that I have recently slapped 1300 bucks into the engine- :twisted: !!! I'll have to look into the shackle lift but I know that won't happen anytime soon. My tires have much more road life on them so until them, I'll add all of this into my "Idea" box.

Chris

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook