RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

climbsomething

Jan 28, 2006, 5:53 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Slacklining and the general public
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really don't think slacklining is stupid. If I've ever said so, it's only because I can't do it. I mean, I really suck at it. If I could do tricks more advanced than standing on the line without clinging to somebody's hand, I'd thump my chest for sure.

Being that I am keen on all aspects of climbing culture and always curious about non-climbers' reactions to all that we hold sacrosanct (or at least consider normal), I am considering pitching the idea of a small slacklining story to my editor at the local paper, where I write features. (I am confident she won't know what the hell I am talking about at first, but that's okay, since novelty often gets my foot in the door)

So, I come to gauge the 'DURRRR' factor. If you cracked open your local paper (or, I guess, clicked onto the paper's Web site) and saw a well-researched story on slacklining, do you think non-climbers and non-slackers would be, if nothing else, amused? Or would it even be worth it?

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 28, 2006, 6:28 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slacklining and the general public [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you cracked open your local paper (or, I guess, clicked onto the paper's Web site) and saw a well-researched story on slacklining, do you think non-climbers and non-slackers would be, if nothing else, amused?

So far I have seen a complete total of two good slackline articles put out there. Both gave something interesting to people with or without a basic understanding of the sport ahead of time.

One was fairly short but sweet didn't try to do too much other than say hey world, look at this, and the other one was just a well interviewed local paper with a bit of research.
Links to a few that have already been done (the one from wisconsin wasn't bad in my opinion)

Please, if your going to write about it please learn from some of their mistakes, there are a lot of crummy articles out there already. I've been misquoted in 8 so far so they make it sound semi-ridiculous and got even the basics I gave them in writing way off base and sometimes outright wrong so bad I was ashamed to be associated with the article.

Only a few have gotten even the bare basic stuff right even when it was over email and I gave them 99% of the research links and info on other people to interview they needed. Bah, sorry for the minor rant, I just had some bad experiences with journalists and TV reporters.

climbsomething

Jan 28, 2006, 6:38 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Duly noted. I'm very sensitive to sounding clueless in my articles, and to making sources sound stupid. I'm sure the former has happened, law of averages and all, but I really hate it. And I respect climbers (slackers, by extension) too much to risk that. I may give up the idea (I don't know how many Tucsonans slack) , or it may be rejected. But, I thought it was kinda neat.

Thanks for your feedback!

NB: I noticed the best story on your site was from a college paper. Cool. I'm no longer at my college paper, but I'm probably the same vintage as that writer.

remykins

Jan 28, 2006, 6:54 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, that first post disclaimer was crazy.
Anyways.

I've tried to explain the finer points of slacklining to many people, ranging from the girlfriend to random passer-bys. Long story short is: Some people understand it and think its kind of cool. Others tighten their hold on their children, dogs, steaks etc.
If you've got the dangles to get a well researched paper out in the newspaper I think that people will respond positively. I for one love reading about obscure activities but that could be because I'm a climber...

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 28, 2006, 7:07 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(I don't know how many Tucsonans slack) , or it may be rejected. But, I thought it was kinda neat.

I'm pretty sure there at least a dozen of my rigs there from the last year so there's gotta be some sort of slacking presence there. I also have had several questions from that area about what to do without trees. I'd have to run some database queries to get an exact number though.

Blue Ridge Outdoors did one last month that wasn't bad, that was the short one I was referring too. 1 pager that still struck me as very thin due to the giant photo, but decent overall. I wish they had interviewed more people or had a bit more meat but it was well done anyway.

A little history, a little explanation, a few tips and local spots and some interviewed locals content could be all that it takes for a good article as long as it is well written. Focusing on any one too much makes it too lopsided for general use in my opinion.

By the way, if you ever want to learn more than standing and want tips or coaching drop me a line. I head out west at least once or twice a year or you could always swing by the mid-west (not that I'm sure why you'd come to the land of no rock though). I do workshops every now and then and most folks see tons of progress fast with a few good personalized tips.

climbsomething

Jan 28, 2006, 7:37 AM
Post #6 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Yeah, trees are kinda at a premium here. Cactus might not be up to the demands of a good line, but it'd make a cool photo :)

v_nuthin_ace

Jan 28, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There were highlining articles about the highlining at Ouray Ice Festival, . The Denver Post and the Montrose newspaper. The writer from the Denver Post is interested in doing a follow up this spring.

There is plenty of precedent for both slacking news articles, and tv coverage.
And the more the merrier, although the real hurdle for slackers, highliners especially, is access and liability insurance.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 28, 2006, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that the people most adamantly opposed to slacklining in Alaska are the climbers. Not all of them, in fact not even very many of them, but we have our share of old hardmen climbers who've been in the mountains longer than I've been alive, and some of those guys just can't get used to sharing their mountains with a couple young guys walking across empty air on a string.

As far as the general public goes, I've never had a problem with anyone not involved in climbing. I've rigged lines in playgrounds and parks, and the only interest I get is positive. Here in Alaska the general population is more redneck than not, so the environmental issue of tree friendlies has never been a problem with authorities. Most people look on with interest, and make comments about me slipping and getting nailed. :lol: Kids love it!

If you need photos to supplement your article, I have thousands, both highline and lowline. There's samples on my site at http://www.morffed.com on the '04 and '05 pages.

The public is growing more and more aware of slacklining. We're nowhere near mainstream yet, but we're closer and closer to acceptance. Joe's site is a major factor in that, with his articles and such, and I think the new Gravity Highline Team has serious potential to spread good publicity. The future looks good, as long as we work together and use our heads. :D

tangen_foster

Jan 28, 2006, 8:59 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If you cracked open your local paper (or, I guess, clicked onto the paper's Web site) and saw a well-researched story on slacklining, do you think non-climbers and non-slackers would be, if nothing else, amused?

So far I have seen a complete total of two good slackline articles put out there. Both gave something interesting to people with or without a basic understanding of the sport ahead of time.

One was fairly short but sweet didn't try to do too much other than say hey world, look at this, and the other one was just a well interviewed local paper with a bit of research.
Links to a few that have already been done (the one from wisconsin wasn't bad in my opinion)

Please, if your going to write about it please learn from some of their mistakes, there are a lot of crummy articles out there already. I've been misquoted in 8 so far so they make it sound semi-ridiculous and got even the basics I gave them in writing way off base and sometimes outright wrong so bad I was ashamed to be associated with the article.

Only a few have gotten even the bare basic stuff right even when it was over email and I gave them 99% of the research links and info on other people to interview they needed. Bah, sorry for the minor rant, I just had some bad experiences with journalists and TV reporters.

nice collection of articles slackerjoe...but, regarding the first frontpage photo of slacklining, at least one predates your Wisconsin article by at least 20 years...but that's only if you're counting the Moscow Idahonian. When i return to Idaho, I'll dig it up--one of my wife slacklining in Pullman Washington circa 1985.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 28, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When i return to Idaho, I'll dig it up--one of my wife slacklining in Pullman Washington circa 1985.
Awesome, front page articles are pretty rare for stuff like this (that is unless nothing else happens to be going on in the world). If you could just give me the info on it'd be love to put up whatever I can.

My problem with putting up news clippings this far has been copyright issues, I can't just scan them and I've got a ton (at least 2 dozen) more to put up that simply aren't on the web. I'd especially get in trouble for those magazine articles which have paying subscribers so that'd be a big no-no. Just putting up a reference wouldn't be doing anybody much good either unless they have access to back articles for various news papers and such too.

By the way, I didn't even notice but there are more than one articles from Washington. The one I thought was well done was from the Western Front newspaper.

uncleslackline

Jan 29, 2006, 3:50 AM
Post #11 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

November 27 1997 Front page LA Times!
But of course that pre dates Joe the Pro's slackline experience!

uncleslackline

Jan 30, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I head out west at least once or twice a year"
So when it comes to hooking up with this babe, your a traveling man?
But when it comes to hanging out with us in Red Rocks you are all excuses!

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 30, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
November 27 1997 Front page LA Times
In reply to:
Moscow Idahonian Front page 1985

I've added these. If anyone has more please PM me and I'll add them to our new reference links.

Thanks.

By the way, Climbsomething, I say go for it. After thinking on it I think as long as you approach it carefully and do at least a bit of research I think it could be an entertaining article for the average folks and possibly spark more interest in the area. If you can make sure and list any nearby areas that are slacker friendly. There are likely a lot of folks out there who don't have a place to set up line and aren't ambitious enough to rig their own advanced anchors.

Unc, I swing out west for WORK - i.e. not on my schedule, but on someone else's. I can usually lay over an extra day or so but I don't get the call the shots on when.

eric_t83

Jan 30, 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(...)
Kids love it!

I'm often out slacklining just as the kids come home from school, and there are always a bunch of kids that stop to watch. It usually ends up with them using my line as a slingshot or swing :)
We usually have a lot of juggling equipment and stuff lying around too, and kids love that sort of thing as well :)

cyclekiller

Jan 30, 2006, 8:39 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slacklining for me is all about sharing the love! Whether your high or low, spinnin or standin, walkin or watchin, its all good! Setting up here in SF golden gate park , and experiencing slacklining with strangers is a blast. Last week i held the hand of a 65ish gramma as she tore that thing up, front and back, and i couldnt of kicked the smile off of her face. Also getting an entire family , enjoying a sunday picnic, out walking and laughing shows us slackin really is for everyone! Joe and Unc , you guys need to kiss and make up, seriously, i know your both makin $ off slackin and competing for our dollar , but damn guys stop talkin and get walkin! share this shit with everybody, stop turnin it into a jr,high drama fest. Anyways Unc Im not in the valley of death anymore, but it was great to hang with ya at my bbq, still slackin with at- risk-teens in the woods though! anyone in San Fran that wants to walk hit me up! :D

tangen_foster

Jan 31, 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
November 27 1997 Front page LA Times
In reply to:
Moscow Idahonian Front page 1985

I've added these. If anyone has more please PM me and I'll add them to our new reference links.

cool...

a side note, joe healy (healje) and I just put in a proposal for a workshop on slacklining at the Rocky Mtn. Regional Association for Experiential Education Conference in Carbondale, CO (April 7-9). If our propsal is accepted, we'll tell a bit about the history of slacklining in a powerpoint with pics, then teach some basics outside.

healyje

Jan 31, 2006, 1:34 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never did get a copy of them but there were shots of me juggling pins on my lakefront midline in the Chicago Sun Times around '82 or so...

tangen_foster

Jan 31, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #18 of 18 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Never did get a copy of them but there were shots of me juggling pins on my lakefront midline in the Chicago Sun Times around '82 or so...

If someone is able to access those on microfiche, I'd love to see them. And when you start rooting around in old Chicago newspaper editions, check out May 1, 1978 for shots of Joe climbing the Sears Tower to hang a "Greenpeace" banner protesting the whale hunt.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook