Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kydd76

Jan 31, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #1 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Red Rock Rendezvous 2006
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Red Rock Rendezvous, is any one going?

Partner macherry

Jan 31, 2006, 4:10 AM
Post #2 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Rock Rendezvous [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just booked my flight for vegas today!!!! yahoo!!!

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 31, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #3 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, my spring break is earlier this year, dammit! I had a blast last year though...

vegastradguy

Jan 31, 2006, 5:27 AM
Post #4 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there. Find me at either the rc.com booth (is there one this year?) or the ASCA booth.

Also, being the local that I am, we should probably start a betting pool on what weather catastrophe we'll get this year.

1st year is was damn hot.

2nd year is was damn cold.

3rd year will be..... perfect? windy? snowy? freak tornadoes? a hurricane?

grippedclimer

Jan 31, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #5 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So how is it? A zoo? Fun Party? I would assume one would have to go with lower climbing ambitions considering all the people that will be out there. However, that may just be on the trade routes. SOunds like a good time!

leapinlizard

Jan 31, 2006, 6:55 AM
Post #6 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One day I hope to go, I only live a couple hours away and yet still haven't been able to go. Last year I was in New York for the ECAD which ended up being on the same weekend, I mean why would they plan it that way, and this year school has eaten my time down to the negatives. Oh well we will see about next year, or maybe I will just slip away for a few hours.

kydd76

Jan 31, 2006, 1:18 PM
Post #7 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I Was seeing if any one would what to climb at RRR, since I will be there. I am not a newbie. If there is a RC.com both I would love to help out.

hammerhead

Jan 31, 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #8 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When is the RRR?

steelhands

Jan 31, 2006, 1:44 PM
Post #9 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My regular partner and I are going. We've been climbing for about a year, leading sport to 5.8 and I've been doing some easy trad in the 5.6 range.

Does anyone know what kind of clinics they will have? Even though we've been climbing awhile, we decided to do the Friday intro to climbing. We felt that another "fundamentals" class couldn't hurt. Also, we took the gear package so we'd have an extra set so our friends and family would have greater opportunity to climb with us.

At some point, we'd love to get on a significant multi-pitch climb that really gets some exposure. All the rock here (Memphis area) is single pitch. The idea of being 600 feet off the deck sounds exciting. I'd even be willing to hire a guide to accomplish this.

My partner is going back on Tuesday morning but I am staying until Thursday morning, so if anyone would tolerate a tag-along climber after the event is over, that'd be great. Look for a 50ish tall guy with a Memphis Mountaineers tee shirt with my rc.com and supertopo handles, Steelhands and SammyLee printed on the shirt.

51 days to go.

veganboyjosh

Jan 31, 2006, 1:53 PM
Post #10 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll be there, and i think i'm dragging my partner/ropegun with me.

anyone wanna taxipool from the airport? we're thinking of getting there thursday. leaving RR monday morning, for the airport. we don't have flights yet, but will soon, i think.

pm me if you're interested in this.

looking forward to it.

josh.

snakehuntergirl

Jan 31, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #11 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The R.R.R. should be a great time! It was last year even though it was raining and cold at the party.
The only thing I'll recommend, if you're a beginner is choosing your classes early on. A problem we saw with last year was that towards the end of registration, beginners were picking advanced classes because the beginning classes were full. I'm sure everyone in those sort of classes still had a good time but a partner of mine, who was a more advanced climber felt it put a damper on his learning experience because much time was spent on belaying total newbies on 5.10's (most of them couldn't get up them) and he hurt his back a bit. Don't plan on many hours of actual climbing in these classes, although you could venture off on your own if you have a day or two to spare! IMO, the R.R.R. is more of a social event where you get to meet some really great climbers and people, but you'll be able to get good info. on a lot of gear and climbing products out there too! Food is typical barbecue stuff; nothing special, but there was alcohol last year at the party for those interested. Also a little Booty.

My guess at the weather; overcast, 10-15mph winds, no rain. Temp high 65 degrees low of 48.

Gigi~

gordo

Jan 31, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #12 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about a link for details?

steelhands

Jan 31, 2006, 2:25 PM
Post #13 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mgear.com/RR06/

Partner taino

Jan 31, 2006, 2:46 PM
Post #14 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I won't be able to go this year to do financial concerns, but I had a very good time last year; even the pouring rain and freezing temps just put a capper on things. My GF and I thought it was going to be warmish during the day and cold at night, but we ended up going into Vegas to buy some thick fleece and raingear because it was BITTERLY cold and raining. The wind Saturday night was so bad that it damaged a North Face (?) expedition tent and wrecked a couple of display popups, made mincemeat of "tent city", and forced the organizers to add 3-4 heavy-duty tie-downs to the main canopy.

Thank goodness for Timmy O'Neill; he saved the party on Saturday night by being a total nutball and taunting everyone to come out and stand in the rain to watch all the presentations. "YOU CALL YOURSELVES MOUNTAINEERS?! YOU'RE STANDING UNDER A FUCKING HEATED TARP OUT OF THE RAIN AND COLD! YOU'RE NOT MOUNTAINEERS, YOU'RE PUSSIES! GET OUT HERE AND WATCH!"

The "theme hotel" just nearby the RRR site was... not somewhere I'll stay again. I recommend camping, or finding a real hotel within a tolerable drive.

I second the suggestion above that beginners especially should register as early as possible for the available sessions.

If you're going to be kicking around for a few days before or after, and you decide to get the guidebook (perhaps from Supertopo - great guidebook), be aware that the guidebook lies horribly about approach times. Double ALL approach times.

Regarding weather... I vote for a bit of both.

T

kydd76

Jan 31, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #15 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking at the routes in red rocks park. I can’t wait, so I can get climbing.

vegastradguy

Jan 31, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #16 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mgear.com/RR06/

addiroids

Jan 31, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #17 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1st year is was damn hot.

2nd year is was damn cold.

Huh? What year was I there then? As I remember it was beautiful. I think it was Year #1. I might have a saturday Wound Care class this year, but will try to make it. Maybe go for another speed record on something.

There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

In reply to:
Thank goodness for Timmy O'Neill; he saved the party on Saturday night by being a total nutball and taunting everyone to come out and stand in the rain to watch all the presentations. "YOU CALL YOURSELVES MOUNTAINEERS?! YOU'RE STANDING UNDER A FVCKING HEATED TARP OUT OF THE RAIN AND COLD! YOU'RE NOT MOUNTAINEERS, YOU'RE PVSSIES! GET OUT HERE AND WATCH!"

If you're going to be kicking around for a few days before or after, and you decide to get the guidebook (perhaps from Supertopo - great guidebook), be aware that the guidebook lies horribly about approach times. Double ALL approach times.

No, the guidebook is right on. Get on the stairmaster, cut your rack in half, and ditch the 90 Liter expedition pack.

That would have been hilarious to watch Timmy's antics. I might just go for that. Gotta make sure I stop by Rental Equipment Inside first for some gore-tex to go climb in the desert.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

vegastradguy

Feb 1, 2006, 5:11 AM
Post #18 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Huh? What year was I there then? As I remember it was beautiful. I think it was Year #1. I might have a saturday Wound Care class this year, but will try to make it. Maybe go for another speed record on something.

There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

first year, but considering avg. temps are usually in the 70's and it was broaching 90 that year.....it wasn't like Vegas Hot, but it was pretty damn hot given the time of year.

In reply to:
Double ALL approach times.

gotta go with Paul on this one- the guidebook is pretty much right on if you don't get off trail and can maintain a decent walking speed. get lost, of course, and all bets are off.

most folks just aren't used to huffing up to 2 hours for a climb....

Partner coldclimb

Feb 1, 2006, 9:57 PM
Post #19 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning on showing. Can't miss me, I'll be with the guys wearing bright orange. :lol: Looking forward to meeting more of you.

harmonydoc

Feb 1, 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #20 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've registered - got an email that said clinic enrollments should open the week of February 13th. Never been to RR before, looking forward to it!

Partner macherry

Feb 1, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #21 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay we should be starting a list:

coldclimb
harmonydoc
vegastradguy
macherry
scoobybruce
kydd76

updates will follow

kydd76

Feb 1, 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #22 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be there, would any one be up for sharing a tent site? If you will need a ride from airport I will have a car. I am planning on leaving Denver on Thurs after work, getting in to town that evening, and will be going home on Tuesday.

Partner j_ung

Feb 1, 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #23 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll be there. Find me at either the rc.com booth (is there one this year?) or the ASCA booth.

Actually, there probably won't be a booth. We have something better in mind this year: 3 half-day self-rescue clinics to be taught by Jackson Hole Mountain Guides.
Jay

Partner macherry

Feb 1, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #24 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually, there probably won't be a booth. We have something better in mind this year: 3 half-day self-rescue clinics to be taught by Jackson Hole Mountain Guides.
Jay

great, where will i hang out!!!! :?

vegastradguy

Feb 1, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #25 of 84 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jay

oh sure, be all responsible and giving back to the community. sheesh.

fine, i'll be at the ASCA booth- Greg, Larry, and I shall be throwing around old 1/4" hand drills.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook