Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mrhappypants

Jan 28, 2006, 9:05 AM
Post #26 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Re: How long where you stuck on V0 or V1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started climbing two septembers ago (04), and I was getting V2s before the end of the month. I took a break for winter (november-march) and after two weeks in the spring I got my first v3. Since then I've not been climbing much. Over last summer I was working too much and whenever I wasn't working, it was raining. Now I'm in Italy for a year abroad, and so I haven't been climbing for four months. It's killing me!

Anyways, I am definitely one of those that "powers through" delicate problems. I thrive on overhangs and campusing.

I started climbing at the same time as my friend Logan. We progressed at almost the exact same pace. He got his first v2 (we were both working the same one) a few days before me, and then I got the v3 first on the same day that he did. We basically have all of the same climbs under our belts.

Except for a few: There is a v1 that is just a huge overhang with a heel hook, and I can do it without the heel hook, making it more like a V2.

There are 5 v0 slabs in our area. I can do one of them, with difficulty. Logan, who can't even do a single pull up, can do all five of them, and did them all on our first day climbing. He also has better success on traverses.

daithi

Jan 28, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #27 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now I'm in Italy for a year abroad, and so I haven't been climbing for four months. It's killing me!

Italy has some absolutely amazing climbing. It would be a travesty to spend a year over there and not do any climbing.

mchristie

Jan 28, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #28 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to Hueco and you'll be falling off of V2's for years. It really depends on where you climb. Ratings are subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt. Climb for the enjoyment of it not for the grades.

xjlx

Jan 28, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #29 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym that I go to/learned to climb at has bouldering problems/but aren't really graded. If you ask the employee's they will tell you, but they are not marked. Anyways, the first problem I ever did was a v2, it was the "easiest" problem at the gym, only took me 3 months to get it too :lol: I am often stuck with trying problems that are over my level, but I wouldn't say that is neccessarily bad. It does get frustrating sometimes when it feels like you don't make any progress, but I have seen overall progress in strength and technique. OP - Stick with it, no matter how long it taks bro.

jaybro

Jan 28, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #30 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how many rabid teenagers does it take to
screw in a lightbulb?

not that there aren't some excellent points here.

work hard, but be patient.

jred

Jan 28, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #31 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Now I'm in Italy for a year abroad, and so I haven't been climbing for four months. It's killing me!

Italy has some absolutely amazing climbing. It would be a travesty to spend a year over there and not do any climbing.
No kidding is this a joke?

liquidshadow111

Jan 28, 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #32 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still stuck on V2
:D

mrhappypants

Jan 28, 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #33 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not a matter of location - its the program I'm in. I have school five or six days a week, and the other day/two days are spent studying. I'm kind of miffed. I was planning on enjoying italy, and instead i've been thrown into an academic program way above my level and that which I anticipated. There's a sport climbing area a day trip away, but i've never done sport before, so i'm gathering all of the gear as fast as I can afford it.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No kidding is this a joke?
:oops:

collegekid

Jan 29, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #34 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's some V0's and V1'st that I'm still stuck on, and I've been climbing for over 4 years!!!!

Then there's the v4's that I can get in an afternoon...and v6's that take me 2 or 3 separate visits...there's a V7 that I've visited 3 times, and just need to link it all to get the send (hopefully i'll get it over spring break).

So it all depends on the type of climb, your style, and how motivated you are to get it done. If you REALLY want a particular climb really badly, just work it into submission by visiting it over and over again and you'll eventually get it (unless it's some mono-pocket-one armed pull up-type of climb, which obviously requires some natural talent).

keep at it, have fun, and send!

I honestly don't remember how long it took for me to get my first v1.

sick_climba

Jan 29, 2006, 5:45 AM
Post #35 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started on v.2s and such.... but i didn't start bouldering until about 6 months or so into my climbing life.
In reply to:
How long did it take you before you could move from doing V0's and V1's to doing bigger stuff like harder V1's and V2's and such?
Dude don't think of it as being stuck there... and don't think about moving on from v.0 and v.1 have fun while your one them. I can tell you I have climbed a lot of boulders, and i have found a lot of v1s that are much more fun than pumping out on a v.6. Don't think about ratings, find a boulder and climb every route you can on it. then you have fun with out feeling retarded for not being able to top out a v0- or what ever because you don't know what it is.basicly skrew ratings, climb and have fun!
good luck

drewskey

Jan 29, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #36 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing about a month and a half before I pulled off a V5.

monicastrasen

Jan 29, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #37 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a question to the original poster and any post-ees, for that matter --

How old are you? I think this is a valid point in terms of how fast you progress through the grades.

I'll be 45 this year and hope to go from V2 to the V5/6 range by the end of the year, maybe summertime if I'm persistent. I figure at this rate I can save joint/ligament/tendon integrity and (fingers crossed) avoid injury. If I were, say, 20 years younger, my game plan would be much different -- mainly tearing up every bouldering problem I could get on and setting my sights on some crazy V10 by year end.

As to the numbers thing, I agree with many responses here -- climb hard, do your best, have fun, and $%*& the ratings! I try not to let my competitive side take over and just use grades as a way to judge my own progress, but man, it does make me feel like I'm dragging my behind when I read that someone is at V5 after 6 weeks -- congrats, by the way, on that.

jaybro

Jan 30, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #38 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I'll be 45 this year and hope to go from V2 to the V5/6 range by the end of the year, maybe summertime if I'm persistent."

This, strikes me as a sensible, attainable plan. Good luck!
Jay-49

styndall

Jan 30, 2006, 4:14 AM
Post #39 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go to Hueco and you'll be falling off of V2's for years. It really depends on where you climb. Ratings are subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt. Climb for the enjoyment of it not for the grades.

You'll be falling off some Hueco V2s for years. On No One Gets Out Alive, though, every hold is the thank-god jug you want at the top of your project.

Local Flakes spanked me hard, though.

katalyzt

Jan 30, 2006, 4:07 PM
Post #40 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha ok well thanks for all the info.

just to clear things up... I'm not really concerened with when I'll be able to cend a V1 consistantly and smoothly. I figure that'll come in time and frankly I donn't care since my footwork needs the most attention at the moment, so I do mostly traversing. I was just curious what the average time is :)

Haha, plus if I really cared about the numbers I wouldn't be going to the gym. There's this 14 year old kid who's been there the past couple times who can just climb walls like a monkey (consistanly doing around V5's). Makes me look like a total pansy. But he's definatly fun to watch and learn from.

And about injuring my self at that pace... Nah I don't think so. I know my bodies limits (been doing extreme sports my whole life). The trick is to push your self hard but just to the edge, not over.

Thanks for all the positive words guys. ROCK ON!

watchme

Jan 30, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #41 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this topic illustrates perfectly why John Gill originally created his closed-end "B" scale for rating boulder problems. He wanted people to not focus on numbers, but on the problems themselves.

climbsomething

Jan 30, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #42 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

And about injuring my self at that pace... Nah I don't think so. I know my bodies limits (been doing extreme sports my whole life). The trick is to push your self hard but just to the edge, not over.
If you say so. Climbing is an insidious beast.

mchristie

Jan 30, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #43 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think this topic illustrates perfectly why John Gill originally created his closed-end "B" scale for rating boulder problems. He wanted people to not focus on numbers, but on the problems themselves.

Ding....Ding.....Ding.....LAdies and Gentlemen we have a winner!!!!!! The B system might not be perfect, but your exactly right, it stresses the movement and the problem, NOT THE ATTAINMENT OF A NUMBER!

blueeyedclimber

Jan 30, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #44 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For about 12 hours, waiting for the Search and Rescue team. Imagine my embarassment, though, when they said I could probably just jump down to my crashpad and I'd be all right. Well, how was I supposed to know? I've never taken one of them self-rescue courses!

alpinerock

Jan 30, 2006, 9:45 PM
Post #45 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
PS. no matter what 90% of people say climbing is all about the grades,
I beg to differ on this point, enjoying climbing in no way means that you have to be climbing for the grades, how else would you explain people being driven to get FA's? I have helped develop several bouldering areas and am working right now on a sport area near maple canyon i can promise you that all the problems currently on my "most rewarding/favourite list are all personal FA's, most aren't pushing me in a physical sense but the joy of discovery more than compensates for it. I recently took several days off of working on my V10 project to go and scrub and redpoint several V3s or problems i consider well within my comfort zone and i can honestly say that i enjoyed them in some ways more than my proj(still unsent... damn snow...)

In reply to:
if it wasn't 90% of climbers would just climb 5.3 AND HaVE A SUPER AMAZING TIME WOOHOO!!!!
once again dead wrong bud, look at climbers like Chris Sharma who love climbing are at the very top of the sport and don't climb for numbers, he is notorious for not grading his problems whether its V16 or V4 as long as he's enjoying it, it doesn't matter what the grade is.

In reply to:
But no... climbing is about challenging yourself and thus it is about the grades.

once again false see above statements

In reply to:
2 weeks is insufficient time to be climbing "hard".

false unless your the next dave grahman most in fact all will not be climbing hard unless your some extreme outlier geneticly speaking who the likes of talent wise has never been seen...
In reply to:
Two months of climbing as much as you are and you will definitely feel stronger!
there is some truth in this statement, just stick at it and be persistent, but most importantly LOVE IT! cherish every second on the rock and i promise you'll improve and even if you plateau its ok because you love what your doing!

In reply to:
Remember getting better is about being consistent in your climbing and training!

I think i know what your getting at but just to clear up any possible confusion to key to improving in climbing is varying your training and climbing, essentially targeting your weaknesses. If your "consistent" in what you train you might improve for a while but you will plateau.

Just remember to love what your doing and everything else will fall into place!

alpinerock

Jan 30, 2006, 9:55 PM
Post #46 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
haha ok well thanks for all the info.

just to clear things up... I'm not really concerened with when I'll be able to cend a V1 consistantly and smoothly. I figure that'll come in time and frankly I donn't care since my footwork needs the most attention at the moment, so I do mostly traversing. I was just curious what the average time is :)

Haha, plus if I really cared about the numbers I wouldn't be going to the gym. There's this 14 year old kid who's been there the past couple times who can just climb walls like a monkey (consistanly doing around V5's). Makes me look like a total pansy. But he's definatly fun to watch and learn from.

Thanks for all the positive words guys. ROCK ON!

Do you by chance climb at the quarry? If so is that kid named james simmons? I'm just interested because that kids one of my climbing buds, i introduced him to the sport back in the summer and have been coaching him since then.

katalyzt

Jan 30, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #47 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nah I climb at RockReation. The quarry looks cool though so I think I'll be trying it out. I don't know the kids name but I think I over heard somebody call him Hunter.

krusher4

Jan 30, 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #48 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF man???? Drive for 10 more minutes and climb on rock???

katalyzt

Jan 31, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #49 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WTF man???? Drive for 10 more minutes and climb on rock???

Ok, dude... I'd love to but... It's Utah, "best snow on earth". But you are right, that's the eventual plan :) Give it a month or two, when the snow melts, and you won't be able to tear me away from the canyons.

alpinerock

Feb 7, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #50 of 97 (15040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nah I climb at RockReation. The quarry looks cool though so I think I'll be trying it out. I don't know the kids name but I think I over heard somebody call him Hunter.

Oh i know hunter too, he's a pretty dedicated kid, comes from parents who climb, one of the only young tradrats i know locally besides bob monson and myself to a certain extent.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook