Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
LAX to BKK Summer Fares
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

socalmtb

Feb 2, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1995 views)
Shortcut

LAX to BKK Summer Fares  (Europe: England: Peak_District: Stanage_Edge__OS_: Stanage)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had some recent beta on the typical airfare costs from LAX (Los Angeles) to BKK (Bangkok) during the summer season (June-August). I've tried searching recent posts, but no help there.

So far, the online travel sites are pricing fares around $1000 (not including taxes/fees). I've also gone to STA Travel and a student rate is about $800 (including all taxes/fees). Does this sound about right or should I keep looking for cheaper fares? I was hoping to spend around $600, but if that is a pipe-dream for summer air travel then I will reassess.

Also, do you all recommend arranging a place to stay by "walking in" or beforehand via the net? I've heard good arguments for both, but wouldn't mind more guidance. Supposedly, since we'll be there during the low season, its not hard to find a place to stay?

Thanks.

t-dog
Deleted

Feb 2, 2006, 4:13 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Re: LAX to BKK Summer Fares [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dunno about the airfare, but for the places to stay you'll have no problems finding cheap stuff during the summer, so don't bother booking something before hand.

Have fun, and stay hydrated!!

Partner coldclimb

Feb 2, 2006, 6:00 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to Railay in June. We booked our bungalow on West Railay when we got off the plane in Krabi, barely managed to catch a longtail to Railay after dark, and somehow walked straight to the right place to check in. All worked out great.

Tickets from AK to Bangkok were around $1300 at the time.

You'll love it! :D

socalmtb

Feb 3, 2006, 5:12 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info. Seems like the consensus is to not make lodging reservations in advance.

Anyone else have input in regards to airfare?

mink

Feb 7, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My classmates and I are headed to out there in March. The fares people paid (well over a month in advance) range from ~$1000USD to ~$1300USD for economy. Those fares are from Washington, DC to Vietnam / Thailand.

I booked a hotel in advance, but I'm a paranoid traveler. The feedback I got from other travelers is book directly with the hotel, not through an agent, as the agent will charge you a booking fee.

Have a great time!

caughtinside

Feb 7, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went in '02 in August, flew out of SF. Ticket was around 600 bucks, I booked it on Travelocity.

That's definitely the low season, and finding a good place to stay is no problem. You can still climb no problem.

jackeroo_31

Mar 21, 2006, 5:10 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fly to BKK about 3 to 4 times per year. I fly from IND and have paid anywhere from $800 to $2000 per trip. Depends on when and how much lead time for the purchase. I have heard of trips cheaper than that, but I have not flown on any of those flights.

The easiest way to find the best rate is to NWA (my personal preference) Search by dates, and select that your schedule is flexible. Then, select that you can travel up to 3 days before or after your planned date and do the same for the for the return.

NWA will then return a grid with 49 dates and prices, you then can use this for prospective travel dates, when you purchase your tickets.

I personally use Thaifly.com. Good rates and good service.

I have also talked with many farangs that fly from SD, LA, SF on EVA air. It is based in Taiwan. Everybody, with no exception, has commented on the service and price. Unfortunately for me, the do not fly from IND.

Hope that you have a good trip. If you want or need any recommendations, I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

korkster2004

Apr 22, 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking to fly over there also. I have found some flights ranging from high 500's to high 600's. Try china airlines or just use travelocity or something like that. They have pretty decent prices

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook