RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

ozoneclimber

Feb 3, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1659 views)
Shortcut

ascending systems
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hear a lot on this site about how hard ascending fixed lines is. It doesn't have to be, if you would check out some caving websites, such as www.onrope1.com. I started out caving and the systems that I would suggest for climbers are the Frog system or a Single Bungee Rope Walker. They use the Petzl Basic or Croll, although the Single Bungee needs to have free-floating knee ascenders like a Gibbs, rope camming device. The prices posted on the site are a little high but you don't have to buy the "system" you can just look at the way it's set up and jury rig it to do the same thing.

Good luck and climb on.

-Bobby

Partner jammer

Feb 3, 2006, 7:40 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Re: ascending systems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, they are expensive! Thanks for the link. Good to see what is outside the climbing community for gear. Still do spelunking?

apollodorus

Mar 10, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Re: ascending systems [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the wall is steep enough, the Froggy Style is a really good way to ascend a rope. You can do it with two regular wall jumars, but a Petzl Basic is better for the harness ascender. The Basic is better than the Croll because it will sit flat when you can clip it through your leg and waist loops (not the donut) to keep it as low as possible. The croll is twisted, and won't sit flat unless you clip it to the donut. Keeping the harness ascender as low as possible is key.

If the wall isn't steep enough for the Froggy Style, the classic Yosemite jumars + aiders system is about the best way to go on a wall.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook