RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

krispywawa

Aug 10, 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Italy-->austria-->switzerland!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip next year round the world... will be in Europe June/July'ish to Italy, Austria and Switzerland :D

Will be hitting up Dolomites i'm sure, and have friends in Switzerland as tour guides, but don't know much about Austria's climbing (western)?

Any/all info on all 3 of these countries much appreciated! where to climb/accomodation (CHEAP), etc. for my 2 months there?

Trad/sport/bouldering... all of the above!

Cheers!

overlord

Aug 10, 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [b]Italy-->austria-->switzerland!!![/b] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

man, remove the bold tags from your thread title. i guess theyre the reason the title is not displayed on the FP.

and if youre in slovenia, drop me a line and well see if i can help you :wink:

paolo75

Aug 10, 2005, 1:02 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW, I can reply for Italy and for Dolomites especially. Cheap accommodation: In the dolomites you find a lot of "Rifugi". These are kind of "hostels" close to the most famous and/or beautiful area, they are cheap and you can get a lot of beta about the area they are in.
Only one thing, be careful on choosing the "C.a.i" ones (C.a.i= Club alpino italiano, Italian alpine club) and not the one owned by individuals. You can see which is which simply reading the guide you should have or searching for any kind of C.a.i authorization they have and that should be outside the building. Anyway, ask for the price and you will realize immediately in which rifugio you are in...

Routes: Dolomites are one of the biggest "funfair" for climbers in the world. You can find from very, very easy routes to tough and scary big walls. The kind of rock you can find there is limestone, a particular kind... pretty soft, loose and steep when it is yellow or orange, good and solid when grey or black.
For the dolomites you don't need a full rack of camalots, aliens, stoppers and so on. You need tricams, some stoppers, some medium size friends and pitons. And kevlar threads.

If you wan to go more in specific drop me a PM I'll try to send you some beta.
Ciao
Paolo

montafoner

Aug 10, 2005, 1:05 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krispy,
A good start would be to search the routes database and get in contact with the area route poster. For example 'Murmeltier' would be a good source for info in Vorarlberg, Austria. They may not have all the info you need, but they would be a good start. Tirol has more climbing and Innsbruck is a beautiful city with stellar views.

[plug]If you have a chance, go to the Montafon Valley in Vorarlberg. Take the InterCity train from Innsbruck to Zurich via Bludenz. Get off at Bludenz and take the Montafoner Bahn (yellow & red train) to the Schruns. On the way in you will pass a mountain onto which my father helped carry up and install the Gipfelkreuz (summit cross).[/plug]

A good option while there would be to buy a multi-day lift pass that covers 5 local ski resorts. All are within a short bus ride from the Schruns train station. A nice 3rd/4th/easy 5th class hike would be to take the Hoch Joch cable car (the large 40+person one, not the small 4 person lift) above treeline. The higher lift might still be running, but if not, you still have access to some sweet adventure climbing. Let me know if this sounds like something you want to do and I'll get you more info/links and even a map. While there you must eat Kaese Spaetzle.

cheers,
Montafoner

matteo

Aug 12, 2005, 8:41 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

even cheaper than "rifugi", in the Dolomites there're some "bivacchi", a quite basic shelter for a night with few beds and sometimes a stove. Do not camp around, it's not permitted.
ciao ciao
Matteo

maxdacat

Aug 12, 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Re: Italy-->austria-->switzerland!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe consider the Salbit area in Switzerland.....it's just near the town of Andermatt and offers 10-15 pitch bolted granite routes.

not sure how your German is but try googling or www.salbit.ch

mario_s

Dec 19, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi
camping of course would be cheapest accomodation. illegal though, but practised. no better sleep than under stars.
could provide bed or at least some space for sleeping bag in vienna and großreichenbach.
there really are many possibilities for climbing, u should have more specified questions. of course we could climb together.
greetings from austria

travelguy

Dec 28, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sent you a PM

ranquet

Feb 3, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

give my respects

www.kiot.at and www.stonemonkeys.com

cheers,

Peter

Partner heiko

Feb 4, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

when in northern Italy (or western Austria), drop me a note.

Bye,
Heiko

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook