RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

qwert

Feb 6, 2006, 8:08 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

rugged camera case?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After i bought myself a new camera (sony DSC W15), i now need a case for it, to protect it, when its in my pac, or worse on my harness.
It should be shock resistant (for those uncontrolled falls, where i and my cam get smacked against the rock), dust proof (for hanging next to my chalk bag, and getting lost in the dusty depths of my pack) and waterproof (for those unexpected baths during lowering mistakes at waterfalls).

I think a hardcase would be best, but i havent found much, also a big problem is, that i always want the camera (the camera itself, not just the case) to stay clipped all the time, wich interferes with my demand for water- and dustproofness.

any ideas?

qwert

brodent

Feb 6, 2006, 9:53 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Re: rugged camera case? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could get the T1 and put it in this:
http://www.watershotonline.com/products/T1_housing.html
Very compact and rugged.
Attaches to a retractable lanyard. Just reach behind on my harness, grab it, pull it up, take picture and release.

altelis

Feb 6, 2006, 3:52 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how 'bout a pelican case?
http://cableorganizer.com/...elican/case_eggs.jpg

in all seriousness though, are you looking for a rugged soft case or a hard case? cause you can cut out 1/2 of useless suggestions right off the bat.....

schveety

Feb 6, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest the Pelican case as well (same one as is pictured in the above post). My boyfriend bought one at REI for $12.00 USD and it has worked very well. It is waterproof, dustproof, and very durable. He added some foam in the cover to keep the camera from sliding around because it was a little small for the case, and now it works like a charm. It's not as light as a softcase, but it's worth it.

-Schveety

nedsurf

Feb 6, 2006, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, a pelican case is what you want.

styndall

Feb 6, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an old Ambico softcase that worked pretty well for tossing around Hueco on a trip out there.

qwert

Feb 7, 2006, 8:05 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have looked into those peli cases, but it seems like they dont build one, that i could clip to my harness, and get the camera out one handed. i need something more "bucket like" so that the camera will stay in, even if i open it, wich seems not to be the case with the peli cases.
i dont mind if its a hard or softcase, but it has to offer some protection, no matter how.

qwert

qwert

Feb 10, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

Partner brent_e

Feb 10, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't thing you're going to find a case that's waterproof that isn't a pelican or similar. you can get one splashproof, though. Look into Lowepro's smaller WR bags. I think they make some of the smaller ones with the little turtle shell for them.

http://www.lowepro.com

more specifically:

http://lowepro.com/...ches/sliplock_cases/

bucketlike, water resistant, some shock capabilities. you can carry em on your harness/shoulder. the neoprene ones are nice, too (dunno if any of those are neoprene but some of the small bags are.

Good luck!

Brent

wearyourtruth

Feb 18, 2006, 6:59 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i know you've expressed reservations... but pelican cases are the sh*t. i've used one on everything from multipitch to whitewater canoeing, and i've never had a single problem (and neither has anyone else i've known who uses one)

flash5twelve

Feb 18, 2006, 7:13 AM
Post #11 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pelican-schmelican! What you need is an Otter Box. The 8000 and 9000 series are top loading and have a belt clip on them. I think the 8000 would probably fit your camera.

http://www.otterbox.com

pico23

Mar 15, 2006, 6:24 AM
Post #12 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
After i bought myself a new camera (sony DSC W15), i now need a case for it, to protect it, when its in my pac, or worse on my harness.
It should be shock resistant (for those uncontrolled falls, where i and my cam get smacked against the rock), dust proof (for hanging next to my chalk bag, and getting lost in the dusty depths of my pack) and waterproof (for those unexpected baths during lowering mistakes at waterfalls).

I think a hardcase would be best, but i havent found much, also a big problem is, that i always want the camera (the camera itself, not just the case) to stay clipped all the time, wich interferes with my demand for water- and dustproofness.

any ideas?

qwert

you are asking for the holy grail of cases.

the situation is you can't have your cake and eat it.

the camera you have isn't that expesive so if it's too expensive you might consider :shock: film. An Olypus Epic sells for about $60 used and takes a beating and is rain proof.

Personally though, I like my Lowe Pro cases. All but one case i own is lowpro (and that case was a mistake) and i've never been disapointed in protection.

The new pocket camera series is waterproof enough to end up floating in a stream after I dropped the camera 200ft (and myself 30).

Anyway, to make the case more waterproof you can add waterproof coating to the case yourself and seal the seams.

For protection a tupperware container works well in the pack. On the harness the lowepro case should be sufficient.

as long as you don't drop the camera it should hold up just fine to most climbing abuse.

the only time i use a truly hard case is when paddleing. I use a dry bucket ($15). It's padded with closed cell foam and completely water tight. A pelican case or otterbox of the same size would have cost over $100. You can come up with better ideas if you just think about it for a bit.

pjdf

Nov 4, 2006, 5:03 AM
Post #13 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally though, I like my Lowe Pro cases. All but one case i own is lowpro (and that case was a mistake) and i've never been disapointed in protection.

The new pocket camera series is waterproof enough to end up floating in a stream after I dropped the camera 200ft (and myself 30).

Anyway, to make the case more waterproof you can add waterproof coating to the case yourself and seal the seams.

Thought I'd resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one to ask a question about camera cases. I just bought a Canon SD600 and am looking for a case for it; probably a soft case that I can connect to my harness and access while on a climb, keeping the camera tied in the entire time. What kind of features should I be looking for? A lot of people have recommended the Lowe Pro cases, but there are a large variety of these. Would anyone care to suggest specific lines for a small digital camera?

Thanks for all the help.

-James

pjdf

Nov 10, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #14 of 14 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(bump)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook