Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Zion climbing history
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

stroker

Oct 1, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #651 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Re: Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cheers on that statement. The only time I've had cuffs on was by a Zion ranger near the old visitor center. My buddy and I got pulled over for doing 5 over. The "ranger" asked us if we had any weapons or drugs in the car. Impulsively and foolishly, I yieled a giant Wild Country friend that was resting at my feet. "Here's our gun," I regretfully said. The "officer" didn't think I was funny, and asked us to get out of the car. Instead of hiking to the base of a route, I was leaned over the top of the car, being frisked for all to see. The funny part obout this, is this was the second time this particular "ranger" felt me up. Earlier, he searched me near the Angels Landing parking lot. I had broke down, therefore he felt he might be able to bust a "hippie climber." Both times I recieved nothing more than embarrassment, and he recieved that substitute satifaction that only men of his like need.
I must say that the most aggressive of the anti-climber rangers were in Snow Canyon. There was a ranger, hopefully not there anymore, that we dubber THE SARGE. This bloke was about 6'7" and really liked to bust climbers chops. He screamed my buddy off a lead. Yes folks, he demanded my buddy to lower immediately. I found it enjoyable to park outside the south gate and sneek in. I enjoyed the idea of not pumping more money into the park through a gate fee, when I knew the dollars were being spend unwisely and wastefully. In minutes that lazy man would spot you walking off the road. He patrolled the short strip of pavement in a brand new Dodge diesel loaded truck. I could patroll that in a golf cart and save tax dollars. Anyhow, when THE SARGE would scream for us to come his way, we would take off on foot, knowing that he wouldn't chase because he didn't want to get his cowboy boots dirty. Instead, he would park his rig and bask in the sweetness of tax dollars blowing cold air condioning in his frown of a face. Returning to our left car usually required patience and stealth like tactics. FUN! In fact, he drilled me for information on "my purpose" in Snow Canyon, while clipping his finger nails and looking down on me. That guy sucked, yet I will miss the days when I was laying on my stomache in the desert to avoid the wrath of THE SARGE.

dangle

Oct 4, 2005, 1:58 AM
Post #652 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well stroker this thread HAS slown down enough for the number of thousands of views to excede the pages. I wonder if its because I don't have the terrier to kick around anymore. And then there's smoot the smoocher; dozens of slaps to me and one edit of flamer to respond resulting in what SOUNDS like a contradiction.

A mormon that knows his whines.

What a hypocrite. All those slaps and then HE screams to the moderators. A panty waste if there ever was one.

Don't misunderstand me I still rope up with mormons. They generally smoke up less of your weed and drink less of your beer. If no_one and I put up a route we should call it Gentile Conspiracy.

So stroker, you got felt up twice and the ranger didn't even kiss you or blow in your ear.
Typical. Slam bang and gone in the morning.

The tallest ranger I've seen there is NOT 6'7". But that would be the CR John Ibach. Since this thread has made lots of accusations of lying lets not leave out this worthless waste of taxpayer's dollars.

Even if this IS a Zion thread and Ibach runs a STATE park.

John agreed to protect a handful of my projects if I would abide by his new mgt. plan. He then unilaterally went back on his word and when I called him on it he said,"I made a judgment decision."

Well John I hope you are reading this. I'm making my own judgment decision. I say liars are worthless pieces of shite. And that includes you. All bets are off. I'll do the climbs I choose and you can stick your plan where you keep your word.

Called down someone in the middle of a lead huh? what an idiot. They must have an intelligence test to become a ranger.

I wonder where they put the ceiling?

Warren was right. I should calm down and have a glass of wine.
Leave the whine for someone else...

jglime

Feb 7, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #653 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn... i just read the last 20 pages waiting for the Crimes against Nature story (is that what the erased route was called? twenty pages later and I can't be sure)... and nothing. where do I lodge my complaint? it was like reading a book and not getting an ending...

flamer

Feb 7, 2006, 8:16 AM
Post #654 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They generally smoke up less of your weed

Gee Ron didn't you state in the R&I article about you, that you don't do drugs any more?

josh

dangle

Feb 13, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #655 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just saw this.

Still spouting huh Josh? Just where did it say that? Quote please.

This is just another example of your twisted BS. And what was it I did to you again (besides pick up the check)?

jglime, its CLIMB Against Nature.

The story was promised under a condition not met, but you can go to DRILLED POCKETS at the taco for some background.

Although there have been numerous cases where members of the climbing community have expressed their appreciation, most have generally behaved in such a childish manner that they've laughed their way out of what might have been quite a bonus. Perhaps it might be time to, in addition, hold both their and the park service's feet to the fire in one go.
I've been trying to create both fun and durable recreational resources. We can disagree on what constitutes constructive and destructive.

But little of what has been offered falls under the heading of constructive criticism and much has been foolishly destructive.

flamer

Feb 13, 2006, 9:11 PM
Post #656 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote please.

"I don't think young people should use drugs, but I smoked pot when I was 15."

Hmmm, I guess that just imply's that you don't use drugs anymore. Isn't that classic. Why Ron you should be the poster child for just say no!

So i guess you didn't say that you don't use drugs any more....specifically.
But isn't that how you tangled web's work?

What exactly did you do to me? Well nothing really except take pot shot's, so guess what? Goes both ways.

I'd still buy you dinner and beer sometime.

josh

dangle

Feb 13, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #657 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hmmm, I guess ......

So I guess....

Stop putting words in my mouth !

I still don't believe YOUNG PEOPLE should use drugs. I have come to other conclusions in near 52 years as well. Do I need to take your hand and walk you through the logic of that statement? Probably not, as this is your sick idea of fun.

Who took the first potshots "old friend"????? As I recall somebody was blaming me for someone else's work without contacting his old buddy to get the straight dope (or will you likewise quote the last phrase out of context as well just to live down to your assumed name?)

I must be a fool to even address such a failure that he gets his kicks baiting people on the net. Go put up a route Josh!

flamer

Feb 14, 2006, 5:53 AM
Post #658 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go put up a route Josh!

Think I haven't?
I never called you an "old Friend", I called you a friend....as I said before, i consider anyone who I've drank beer(on more than 1 occasion)with, had diner with, and would do it again...a friend. Good friend? NO. "Old friend" NO.

I'm sorry Ron did you not drill finger pockets on Black Massacre?

...and you have no idea about my nickname...you've done more flaming in your time here than I.

I may be in your neck of the woods soon.... and I'd still be happy to buy you dinner and beers.

josh

moose_droppings

Feb 14, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #659 of 667 (78128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, this post is front page again, Still (patiently) waiting for part IV of T_bird.

billcoe_

Aug 14, 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #660 of 667 (24532 views)
Shortcut

Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's another case of how time waits for not a one of us. (Or as Dustin Hoffman said he wants on his tombstone: "I KNEW this would happen!)Wink

Mike Strassman, a well known climber and climbing movie maker, who posted on Rockclimbing.com as Rocknroll, and who's profile said "Sex drugs and rock and roll, is sadly no longer with us.

Maybe a reminder to all of us to measure our words well and to treat others the way we want to be remembered when we are gone.

I thought his words on Todd Skinners passing thread were particularly well placed, well spoken and welcome.

Take care all:

Bill

moose_droppings

Aug 15, 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #661 of 667 (24521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "moose_droppings"]Wow, this post is front page again, Still (patiently) waiting for part IV of T_bird.[/quote]

Still waiting................................

dangle

Aug 19, 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #662 of 667 (24438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Moose, someone gave me a heads up on this, but I've been hanging out at the taco.
This place is kinda weird (and anybody that objects to that tends to re-enforce it).

Sad about Mike.
We climbed as friends in Snow Canyon in the early '90s and a few years later I ran into him at OR and he looked like he had aged a decade (obviously he had begun on the methamphetamine). He was beligerant and condescending, and seemed to take joy in an assortment of bogus rumors he had come by from his soon to be expartner in video production, McNeally (who's brother was briefly a ranger in Zion).

I heard from Peter earlier this month that it was the meth that killed him.

If if if,...

Maybe if he had been a better friend I would have bailed him out of his foreclosure like I did for another climbing partner just up the road from him. Doubtless the loss of his place sent Mike into the downward spiral.

As for the fourth chapter of the T-bird, well,..
maybe I shouldn't try to write history while its still being made.
Since this thread started Mike Anderson and Co. have made the third and fourth ascent, including the FFA.
In addition the not insignificant lightning caused fire on the rock's summit has altered the nature of the entire summit, even burning down the tree that comprised the final belay anchor.

And what's more, over seven years after his death in Mineral Canyon where Mondeau and I put up the first route in 6/84, the Earl Redfern story has taken yet another strange twist leaving our lives strangely intertwined.

stay tuned

moose_droppings

Aug 19, 2007, 2:14 PM
Post #663 of 667 (24434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dangle] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Ron, glad to know you still check in now and then.

skinner

Aug 20, 2007, 1:54 PM
Post #664 of 667 (24396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dangle] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dangle wrote:
stay tuned

2 years, 7 months, 6 days
53,700-some views later..

still tuned

bsmoot

Dec 31, 2007, 1:16 AM
Post #665 of 667 (24160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From Left to right: Chris Owens, Dave Jones and Brian Smoot on the summit of the Gatekeeper Wall ( V 5.10 C2)

epic_ed

Aug 25, 2018, 9:36 AM
Post #666 of 667 (21369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't logged into this site in many years. With the passing of Tom Frost and Jeff Lowe today I did a Google search and some how found myself here. Among the squabbling there's an incredible amount of history in this epic thread, as told by various climbers who pioneered the climbing in Zion and other areas. In my opinion this is one of the greatest threads ever on RC.com and since it's been over 13 years since it began I felt it was worth bumping. I hope a new generation of climbers takes the time to sift through it to find all the nuggets of wisdom and history it has to offer.

sungam

Sep 9, 2018, 5:36 AM
Post #667 of 667 (21024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] Zion climbing history [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good bump, good thread.

First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook