Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
Wichita's (Oklahoma) March 11th-19th. Any Partners?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

nurocks

Feb 11, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Wichita's (Oklahoma) March 11th-19th. Any Partners?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,
I am a geology grad student at Baylor University. I am new to the south and Texas's lack of granite. I have decided to go to the Wichita's over spring break for some climbing.

I currently am climbing at a lowly 5.8-5.9 level (grad school hasn't allowed much time from climbing) and I'd probably only feel comfortable trad leading .6s or .7's Never the less, I am hoping to find a partner for a few days between the 11th and the 19th of March. I have all my own gear and am a very safety conscious climber. I expect you to be too.

Before moving to Texas I had climbed mostly at Rumney NH, Acadia Ntl Park, ME and in western MA and around Boston. I've been climbing for a few years and trad leading for a little over a year.

I'm 23, Male, a non-smoker and I do drink. I don't care what gender you are but I ask that you be at least 18 and under 65. My oldest regular partner is in his 50's and he climbs harder than me, but I don't want someone who's parents might expect me to be responsible for you. Hope I am not sounding like a tool...

I'd be interesting in camping for my stay in Oklahoma. Motels and Hotels get expensive. I'll be driving up from Waco TX, so if you are on the way I might be able to pick you up. Maybe.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw this out there and see what bites. Let me know if you are interested and able.

Thanks a lot,
Jason

byron

Feb 12, 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wichita's (Oklahoma) March 11th-19th. Any Partners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camping at doris (the campground in the refuge) is six bucks a night for tent sites.....so....pretty cheap for a week or so. my partner and i just spent last weekend in the wichitas, but i doubt either of us would be able to climb midweek due to work. we both live appox 2 hours from the refuge. it's a great place to climb.....lots of areas....lots of solitude....and lots of runout, especially if you sport. we climbed in treasure cove last sunday, and have also climbed echo dome. echo is probably a little better for what sounds like your level (about like mine) i led my first 5.9 sport there. some of the areas are gated, but you can park outside the gate and hike in as early as you like. the rangers allow this. the treasure lake parking area, where you would park for treasure cove or elk slabs, is NOT gated. the gate for the narrows, a popular area, doesn't open until nine. (i haven't yet climbed there) hope this helps!
byron
p.s. for what it's worth, there's no alcohol allowed in the refuge....and i hear they're pretty strict on that....so you might keep an eye out for barney fife.

nurocks

Feb 12, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP...

gordo

Feb 12, 2006, 2:52 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be out of town that weekend, but might sneak in a day that week. I'm self employed so I can take a day here and there. But I'll have to wait to see when the time gets closer.

okclimbermatt

Feb 12, 2006, 3:43 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM sent

gordo

Feb 12, 2006, 3:58 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matt...we should hook up some time locally!

nurocks

Feb 12, 2006, 4:24 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I'll contact y'all personally tomorrow sometime. But I am glad it looks as though I'll be able to find a partner for a few days in OK afterall. I'm excited.

It's kind of funny, that after living so close to so much decent rock in New England I never made it to the GUNKS because it was a 4 hour drive and I was lazy. Now that I'm in Texas once I found out that the Wichitas were only 4 hours away, I jumped. I wasn't looking forward to the drive to the dessert of 12+ hours.

Thanks again,
Jason

nurocks

Feb 14, 2006, 3:21 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump.

furrymurry

Feb 15, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately (for you :D ) I'll be climbing down in Mexico during that time, but I'd love to hear how you think the Oklahoma ratings compare to the NE after your trip.

nurocks

Mar 11, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap.

I was made clear to me yesterday that I should not, and subsequently will not be going to Oklahoma over break. I would really like to climb there over break, but my school schedule just doesn't allow for it at this point.

To anyone who I have spoken to about possibly climbing next week, I apologize for having to bail. This is my first climbing trip I've missed for reasons other than weather...hopefully mon-weds of next week will pour and I won't feel as though I actually canceled my trip...but as if weather did.

Well, should I come accross 3 or so days where I can not do any work, and I can justify the drive, I'll try and make it to the Wichita's after all. Until then...it's researching and writing my thesis proposal and creating required figures. Grad School is grand!

Later and Sorry,
Jason

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook