RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cornstateclimber

Dec 16, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

north carolina in feb.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hows the climbing in north carolina in february. Im going to be there for two weeks around morgantown hopefully any advice would be helpful.

jitterbugclimb

Dec 16, 2005, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Re: north carolina in feb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cold

whipperman

Dec 16, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #3 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in February around Morganton can be very good with a bit of sun. Shortoff gets great sun and will be plenty warm on a mid to high 40s sunny day.

sandstonejunkie

Dec 16, 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #4 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cold is right...but there is potential.

Rumbling Bald could be nice if the sun is out...maybe just for bouldering but if the temps hit the 30s to 40s and it is sunny you can get a good day in. Temps could be even lower depending on your threshold for cold. I was climbing at the North End of Moore's Wall last weekend, ice all over the place...it was tolerable, close to enjoyable (if only I had sent!)

Sauratown is also warm if the sun is out...but much further away from Morganton.

Rumor has it Short Off can be sunny and nice in the winter but I have yet to experience that...(not that the rumor is false, I've never been to Short Off in the winter)

good luck

Edited for spelling / clarity.

Partner phaedrus

Dec 16, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #5 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

cjstudent

Dec 16, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hopefully I'll be ice climbing in NC in feb.

thorne
Deleted

Dec 16, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the temps are near the averages and it's sunny, you'll find good climbing conditions at Rumbling Bald (45 min.), Looking Glass (maybe 1.5 hrs.), Blowing Rock Boulders (1 hr.), Sauratown (2 hrs.) and even Crowders Mtn. (1.25 hrs.). I listed these in order of my preference. If you want sport, I'd make the drive to Sauratown.

Shortoff Mountain is the most convenient to Morganton and a great climbing area. In fact, if you just have a few hours to kill and want to get outside, I'd recommend hiking up Shortoff. It's worth it. However, none of the routes get morning sun and quite a few stay in the shade all day. If it's unusually warm and hasn't rained in several days, I'd go there. Otherwise, give it a pass.

el_jerko

Dec 17, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets not forget Stone Mountain. Can climb in T-shirt on a sunny Feb day.

glyrocks

Dec 17, 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #9 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

seanb

Dec 20, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #10 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shortoff is the closest to Morganton; Rumbling Bald isn't very far. The downstream section of Shortoff can be nice in the winter. The routes are oriented a little more South and can be pleasant if there is no cloud cover. You'll want to get a copy of either Thomas Kelley's guidebook or the Shull/Lambert guide; navigating the long hike and getting to the start of the routes is often the crux for first time visitors.

Partner j_ung

Dec 20, 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the temps are near the averages and it's sunny, you'll find good climbing conditions at Rumbling Bald (45 min.), Looking Glass (maybe 1.5 hrs.), Blowing Rock Boulders (1 hr.), Sauratown (2 hrs.) and even Crowders Mtn. (1.25 hrs.). I listed these in order of my preference. If you want sport, I'd make the drive to Sauratown.

Shortoff Mountain is the most convenient to Morganton and a great climbing area. In fact, if you just have a few hours to kill and want to get outside, I'd recommend hiking up Shortoff. It's worth it. However, none of the routes get morning sun and quite a few stay in the shade all day. If it's unusually warm and hasn't rained in several days, I'd go there. Otherwise, give it a pass.

That plus el_jerko's Stone Mountain suggestion... all you need, my man! February is prime climbing season (asusming sunny weather) in NC!

glyrocks

Dec 21, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That plus el_jerko's Stone Mountain suggestion... all you need, my man! February is prime climbing season (asusming sunny weather) in NC!

Don't let that confuse you into thinking Stone Mtn. is sport climbing or fun.

hawesro

Feb 11, 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #13 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to call the ranger district in Grandfather Mountain to see what NC destinations are closed because of the peregrine falcon nests. They are pretty serious about it and I have heard of people getting their gear confiscatetd for breaking the closure regulations. The number is 828-652-2144. I am pretty sure that Shortoff is closed right now and the NC wall. Table Rock is available, but the approach road gate is closed. (Extra 2 mile hike). Access is pretty sensitive in NC, so please follow the closure rules.

rsmillbern

Feb 11, 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #14 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lets not forget Stone Mountain. Can climb in T-shirt on a sunny Feb day.

I was climbing there is a t-shirt just a couple weeks ago! Stay away if it is wet though.

scoTt

iltripp

Feb 11, 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #15 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Don't let this kind of talk discourage you. Stone is a great place to climb, and a good day in february will be plenty warm.

rsmillbern

Feb 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #16 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Don't let this kind of talk discourage you. Stone is a great place to climb, and a good day in february will be plenty warm.

I will second that, Stone is awesome!! If the sun is out and the temp is over 35deg you are golden!

hawesro

Feb 12, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. Stone Mountain is one of the best climbing spots in the southeast. Bring a bag hairy bags of nuts with you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook