Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Are your indoor grades and outdoor grades the same?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

keithdavies1

Feb 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #1 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Are your indoor grades and outdoor grades the same?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When you climb at the gym are your bouldering grades the same as they are when your outside. I find that i climb much higher inside than outside. Maybe its because the mat inside is a foot deep by 3m wide by 10 m long lo

or is it becuase outsied problems tend to be more technical than overhangging inside problems which are more strength based?l

mikej

Feb 14, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Re: Are your indoor grades and outdoor grades the same? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HA! They're not even close.
Indoor climbing is much easier. even if the problem is relatively the same as something outdoors, your holds outside don't have lovely taped marks and aren't bright and fluorescent. Also Ive noticed you don't have to deadpoint many holds in the gym. Everything sticks out of the walls, when a lot of features are embedded in rock, not necessarily sticking out. When i was at my strongest point in the gym, i hadn't been outside in like a month though. The next time i got outdoors was one of my worst climbing days ever. If you're gonna be a plastic puller, you have to get outside regularly too. And try not to compare the two too much.

cadaverchris

Feb 14, 2006, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some gyms like to sandbag their indoor routes for those same reasons listed above.

mikej

Feb 14, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #4 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ya, thats also true, one more reason you can't usually compare the two. Filthy sandbaggers.

keithdavies1

Feb 14, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #5 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sandbaggers?

mikej

Feb 14, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #6 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sand bagging is a stupid practice, but its when someone rates problems less than what they actually should be. Its either due to lack of experience or to trying to make someone else look bad. A lot of AZ problems are like that.

climbsomething

Feb 14, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #7 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of Phoenix climbing is just... shit bagged ;) The Phoenix gyms are also pretty generous in their grading.

The Tucson gym is definitely a sandbagger's dee-lite though. If you can climb our "10b/c" routes you're doing pretty good.

amd618

Feb 15, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #8 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive had similar experiences, i can own problems indoors and have trouble starting outside. up side to indoor is its a great place to learn technique imo

dubforceone

Feb 15, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #9 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we dont rate problems at the gym where i climb....i think it makes the climbing better....

bloodyhands

Feb 15, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #10 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mikej is right about the obviousness of indoor routes/problems .

Outside you not only have to locate the right holds, but also decide which holds to use; indoor problems rarely (if ever) have holds on the problem that aren't actually used (unless it's an easy problem and you're skipping holds). Outside you'll often find bomber and even chalked up holds that have nothing to do with the proper sequence. That's one reason why indoor climbing is an inferior substitute for the outdoors; it doesn't teach you how to read the rock, an very important skill.

As for sand bagging, sometimes it's due to the fact that people have different body sizes and strengths or were raised on sand-bagged problems. Ratings are, after all, only a ball park figure of difficulty.

sbaclimber

Feb 15, 2006, 3:44 AM
Post #11 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
some gyms like to sandbag their indoor routes for those same reasons listed above.
Wouldn't sandbagging be the opposite? Aren't you assuming the gyms are giving the problems higher numbers than their difficulty would actually imply (that would at least explain why the OP can climb 'higher' inside than out)?

c22

Feb 15, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #12 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually climb harder outside... possibly a motivation thing

rock_fencer

Feb 15, 2006, 4:42 AM
Post #13 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb the same levels i think indoor and out but i find outdoor easier because well its rock and you can always latch on to something or smear on some small crystal. Plastic is pretty much crap - not that i dont like climbing in a gym. But i find routes outdoors where i live at least of the same grading are easier than the indoor ones.

unrooted

Feb 15, 2006, 5:44 AM
Post #14 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing outside tears your fingers up, real rock hurts, therefore I climb much better inside, especcially in the Front in SLC. I've done v-4 outside, and v-6 at the front. Maybe cause I'm 6'4" and they don't know how to set harder routes without placing holds farther apart?

bloodyhands

Feb 15, 2006, 5:56 AM
Post #15 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Wouldn't sandbagging be the opposite? Aren't you assuming the gyms are giving the problems higher numbers than their difficulty would actually imply (that would at least explain why the OP can climb 'higher' inside than out)?
I believe he means that gyms sandbag routes to conter the fact that ppl climb higher rated routes inside than outside.

cadaverchris

Feb 15, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #16 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I believe he means that gyms sandbag routes to conter the fact that ppl climb higher rated routes inside than outside.

precisely. the gym says, "if you can climb v3 here, you can climb v3 anywhere."

and as every thread on this site concerning grades will tell you all ratings are subjective to the area. in my experiences with gyms like this- so as long as its not a big shot to your ego to only be a v3 boulder at the gym, your outdoor experiences wind up being very rewarding

ajkclay

Feb 15, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #17 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My gym was very over-graded until recently. It was a little ridiculous, there were routes graded 23 (11c) that I was able to eliminate holds on while onsighting them! Now at that stage I was onsighting about 20-21 outdoors but most definitely not eliminating holds from them.

I know it should not bother me but it was a bit annoying as the gym rats were trumpeting about being able to climb 11c's when in actual fact they were doing routes that were more like 10b.

Things have changed a bit recently (well last time I was there - when it was raining 2 months ago) with grades now more honest.

On the difficulty difference though I think there's a few factors:

A gym route tends to be more consistent at the grade, thereby making them perhaps more pumpy, but then this is balanced by the reduction on route-finding as you know exactly where the next hold is.

Then again, while holds are harder to find outdoors you tend to have more options for feet.

They really are two different animals I think... Often I find myself taking a week or two to adjust between summer (outside) and winter (inside) climbing.

Cheers

Adam

elepita

Feb 15, 2006, 2:59 PM
Post #18 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i climb the same levels i think indoor and out but i find outdoor easier because well its rock and you can always latch on to something or smear on some small crystal. Plastic is pretty much crap - not that i dont like climbing in a gym. But i find routes outdoors where i live at least of the same grading are easier than the indoor ones.

I agree, I have a harder time climbing gym routes than climbing outside. I climb much harder outside than inside. Plus it is so much nicer to climb rock, it has so many features that you can use. On plastic there is only one (or two) ways to climb a certain route, on real rock you have many more options. For me rock rocks! plus it is true that sometimes gyms grade routes easier to what they really are (or feel to me at least).

shear

Feb 15, 2006, 4:26 PM
Post #19 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb a good 3 grades LOWER inside than out. granted i use indoor as a training tool...so i rarely "project a problem" inside.

alpinerock

Feb 15, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #20 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing outside tears your fingers up, real rock hurts, therefore I climb much better inside, especcially in the Front in SLC. I've done v-4 outside, and v-6 at the front. Maybe cause I'm 6'4" and they don't know how to set harder routes without placing holds farther apart?

the fronts actually rather featherbagged in my experiance, i wouldn't go bashing the fronts route setters though, their some of the best in the nation. Its heaven climbing their problems after coming over from the quarry. I don't think that they make their problems harder by placing the holds farther apart, i'm only 5'6" and i've flashed their V7/8's, i haven't taken the time to really work anything though so i can't compare it to my outside redpoints which are usually higher but i also put more effort into them.

unrooted

Feb 16, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #21 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the fronts actually rather featherbagged in my experiance, i wouldn't go bashing the fronts route setters though, their some of the best in the nation. Its heaven climbing their problems after coming over from the quarry. I don't think that they make their problems harder by placing the holds farther apart, i'm only 5'6" and i've flashed their V7/8's, i haven't taken the time to really work anything though so i can't compare it to my outside redpoints which are usually higher but i also put more effort into them.

I used to think the same as you, and i actually still like the problems in the front, but I don't think the route setting quality is still the same, it's gone downhill in the last little while.

So what do you not like about the quarry? I have never been there, but the new gym that is being put in up here (logan) is by a guy that practically worships pedersen and his route setting "skills" and is having the quarry crew come up here several weeks before opening to put up the initial routes.

(I have never met Jeff Pedersen, but I do know that he has given Trevor (the rockhaus owner) a ton of help).

verbal

Feb 16, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #22 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym I climb at and a few others that I have climbed at purposely sandbag their routes. This is so that a climber doesn't climb every other day at the gym doing all the 5.11 that are really 5.10's or easier and then go to their local crag and get themselves in trouble on a route. Also I have heard people at the crag say, "there is no way this is 5.10, it should be rated 5.11+" and then they start trying to regrade all the routes at a crag.

I like the idea of if you can climb v3 here you can climb v3 anywhere. It keeps gym rats out of trouble, and ego's in check.

nevenneve

Feb 17, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #23 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A lot of Phoenix climbing is just... s--- bagged ;) The Phoenix gyms are also pretty generous in their grading.

The Tucson gym is definitely a sandbagger's dee-lite though. If you can climb our "10b/c" routes you're doing pretty good.
Sounds like my type of place. Just how generous is generous, though?

mattamatta

Feb 17, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #24 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually find that I can get myself to climb a lot harder on real rock than plastic. There's just so many big holds around that small holds seem hard, where on real rock, any little rough indentation feels like a great hold sometimes, and I have an easier time coming up with creative ways to use it.

Partner angry

Feb 17, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #25 of 52 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whenever I am leading my hardest outside, I'm not doing too hot at the gym.

I seem to plateau at a certain level at the gym or I'll injure a finger. I can't really improve on it so I work endurance or power there. All the while I manage to improve outside because of the work I do at the gym.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook