RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

3cclimber

Feb 16, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

snowtube
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone ever used a snowtube? wouldn't they be lighter than packing snowpickets on a climb.

3cclimber

Feb 16, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: snowtube [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anybody know anything about snowtubes?

nevenneve

Feb 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If this is anyhow and attempt to lure someone into a remote location to play with your snow tube..... :x

nevenneve

Feb 17, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wtf are you talking about?

bkalaska

Feb 17, 2006, 1:37 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like petzl made a picket out of an axe shaft. I couldn't find a weight. I can't see how much lighter then a picket it could be, and there seem to be fewer places/choices to attach to. It may limit possibilities.

toml

Feb 17, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have both snowtubes and T-shaped pickets of various models, both a nice Coyote and a nasty something else.

The snowtubes are, in fact, substantially lighter. I did measure them on a digital scale and they are a lot lighter - I don't have the figures to hand but the difference is very real, like 30% lighter than a 2' Coyote or something. Somewhere on the net I saw some weight data on them suggesting they were quite light, and I didn't believe it, so I checked myself.

They work a lot like sticking an ice axe into the snow. You can't clip the middle if you place them as a deadman (though you could girth hitch it).
The hole where you sling them is much more rounded than regular T-beam pickets, so one can put in thin cord or slingage (Mammut 8mm?) without any fear of it being sliced.

While I have packed them in on a couple of climbs, I have yet to place a snowtube in anger. (I've had a couple for maybe 2 years now.) The tip seems pretty sharp, so I have faith it'll go in nicely. Maybe this weekend?

Also, I'm not sure this is a side benefit unless you're a doofus like me, but I've put my 3' Coyote in 'upside-down' once or twice because both ends are squared off - not sure this is the case in newer models. (Unlike some other pickets where one end is 'sharp' or cut at a 45 degree angle, say). Anyway, so instead of one end hammered to sh*t and one sharp end, now I have a slightly 'blunted' sharp end and a very blunted 'hammer end', where the metal is splayed out a bit.
The snowtubes, like some other pickets (Yates?) are angled at one end so you'd have to be a real moron to put them in upside-down.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook