Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Warmer alternatives to the Red??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

runningitout

Feb 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Warmer alternatives to the Red??  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Ed___Terry_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So my buddy is flying in on Tuesday and we were planning on climbing in the Red but its supposed to be 30F or so.

Any suggestions for alternatives that would be nearby or on the way to the east coast...possibly a little south, not more than 5 hours or so.

thanks
Lis

I am already clear that if I were tougher the temp would not be a problem

overlord

Feb 18, 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Re: Warmer alternatives to the Red?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

one thread on a topic is enough :wink:

wes_allen

Feb 18, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forcast isn't all that bad for next week right now, but it is also Kentucky (and the southest), so it could change several times still. I went out yesterday, and even though is was forcast to be in the upper 30's/low 40's, I was still climbing in a t-shirt. Just as long as there is some sun, you would be suprised how warm it can feel.

But, if you want to head south to climb routes, then t-wall (mostly trad) is a nice warm place, about 4.5 hours from Lexington. Also, rumbling bald (trad, bouldering) is a nice winter area. You could also boulder at Rocktown, Little Rock City, or HP40 which are all about 5 hours away, except hp40 which is more like 6.

kafish

Feb 18, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got done looking at the weather and i am not sure how long your friend is in town for but it looks like starting weds the red is going to have some pretty good temps. It is the south man, don't give up on the weather until at least the day before. Oh an I have never been to the obed but i hear it is good. Not sure how much warmer it would be though. Good Luck

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook