RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

andrewbanandrew

Feb 22, 2006, 6:58 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Heel blisters and heel lift
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently purchased a pair of La Sportiva Trango Extreme Evo Gtx boots (makes me wonder what next year's model will be called). They were, out of 8 pairs of boots, the only pair that came remotely close to my size and remotely close to fitting.

I am a size 8 US, and the boots are size 41. I get almost no heel lift when walking on flat ground, but as I discovered these past two weekends, I get enough heel lift when walking up a moderate (30-40 deg) slope to get heel blisters. I already use superfeet insoles. I'd say I get about a centimeter or maybe a little more when frontpointing with the laces cinched down super tight.

I'm wondering if this is normal (because I am naive and new to full shank ice climbing boots) or if I should've gotten a smaller size boot (since a 41 euro is closer to an 8.5 US than 8 US). And if that's the case, what can be done if I can't afford to get a smaller size boot (now that I can't return these). More socks? Heel shim? different lacing technique?

I'm pretty tempted to bite the bullet and order a half size smaller from somewhere else just to see if a size down would make a difference.

anykineclimb

Feb 22, 2006, 8:11 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re: Heel blisters and heel lift [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

have you tried adjusting your lacing?. You mention "the laces cinched down super tight" try keeping the front (lower section) loose and cinch the ankle. This may help reduce the up/ down movement.

you could always just order another pair. if it fits worse, return em!

chugachskier

Mar 3, 2006, 5:19 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was getting blisters early on in my ski boots from the same thing and I started to accommodate to it, so even if you can't get new boots there might be hope. Dr. Scholls makes some nice waxy kind of pads that you can affix to your heel also, but I also think checking another size will ultimately answer your question best.

insainio

Mar 3, 2006, 5:41 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First thing, good job using superfeet. They work wonders and are the first step to making a boot fit better.

I would suggest trying a tongue depressor. It is a 5mm shim that you slide down between the tongue of the boot and the laces. What it does is create another layer of material between the laces and your foot so that you can get a better fit. Any outdoor shop that does boot modification should have these and they are cheap. About 3 dollars for a pair. If they work,you can trim them to fit better and then glue them to the outside of the tongue to keep it in place. It doesn't look pretty but its better than blisters.

Also, remember that converting a 41 to a 8.5 isn't an exact science. Every boot manufacturer is different when it comes to sizing. La Sportiva tends to run about a half size off. A 41 is usually more like an 8 than an 8.5. If you do decide to go down half a size, your toes may hit the front of the boot and create a whole new problem. And then you would be stuck with two pair of poor fitting boots.

Hope this helps.

edited for clarification

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook