RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

bahandi

Feb 27, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

For all you 'lazy' climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

in my 2 months of climbing, i've noticed where i am lacking. finger strength, forearm strength, leg strength, etc., etc.

however, i've seen huge gains overall, particularly my core.

my question is, will training my core outside of climbing benefit me more? the reason i ask, is i've noticed that my core has 'kept up' with my constant climbs, and - in my opinion - will continue to get stronger the more i climb. in other words, my core will put out when i need it to put out.

i get on my hangboard every now and then. i stretch like crazy when i've got room. my forearms get a work out everytime i pick up weights, i've started doing leg workouts... but i'm never on the ground doing situps/crunches, never on a bench or bar doing leg raises.

should i consider adding core training to my routine? or can i simply rely on climbing to shape and condition my core?

overlord

Feb 27, 2006, 8:23 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Re: For all you 'lazy' climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

core strength training is definitely something to work on if you think its lacking.

and be really carefull with that hangboard. beginners usually end up with torn tendons...

kricir

Feb 27, 2006, 9:06 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you need a strong core to support strong limbs, if you work on your limbs outside of climbing then you should work on your core too. Girls tell me that they really like good abs anyway.
Its cool that you train, but sense you have only been climbing for 2 months, technique is really what you want to be focusing on. Technique is all about climbing something in the most efficient way possible. Technique is the most important part of climbing, big guns only help if you have the technique to know what to do with them. There is a weak looking asian girl at the gym I climb at who was pulling down 5.10’s after 4 days of climbing, because she has natural good technique.

Im not telling you that you should stop training, but beware that added strength could result in you climbing harder climbs by thuging your way up. Learning bad technique habits will only cause you to plateau, and you will have to go back and learn to climb without using power to get anywhere.

and yeah, be carefull with the hangboard, you should climb, or do hangboard workouts, but never both at the same time, (or week for that matter).

have fun and happy climbing!

anykineclimb

Feb 27, 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good way to throw in ab work is to do "L" pullups or for that matter, anytime you're on the hangboard, instead of just hanginging there, raise your legs or just to your kness to parallel.

Also remember that your "core" is more than just you abs.
make sure you work you lower back with some hyperextensions, hollow bowls and Supermans. (Google)

Situps are also great as they not only work the abs, but hip flexors.
Planks and side planks are good too.

esoteric1

Feb 27, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im so lazy i didnt even read the whole thread...

bahandi

Feb 28, 2006, 4:41 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
im so lazy i didnt even read the whole thread...

haha :lol:

kricr: i agree, technique is huge. i noticed that the instant i saw a little asian girl at my gym (coincidence? haha) scamper up the overhang and send a nice little roof route.

thanks for all the advice. i did come to realize that the lower back is also included in the core.

thanks for the warnings regarding the hangboard, and i am taking it easy. i'm limiting myself to the jugs when i get on it.

after a hard night of climbing and playing around with the new roof holds at my gym, i have come to accept the fact that i would rather my core be 'ready' for a workout -- rather than have it worked out while i climb.

so i guess i'll need to be getting those crunches and supermans in

cellardoor

Mar 8, 2006, 4:32 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, this seems to be my experience. My core tends to keep up with whatever level i'm on. Like if i'm climbing at v5 my core seems to develope to hold for v5 roofs and stuff like that. However, if i go and jump on a v7 i tend to be lacking because the core isn't totally there. Then when i start working v7, it takes awhile as not only do my arms need to strengthen but so does my core. To save time, i'd say work your core so that it's one less thing to worry about as you progress.

Cheers,
Mike

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook