RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

eric_k

Feb 28, 2006, 7:38 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Blood donation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I gave blood the other day. First off most all the nurses there commented on the fatness of the vanes on my forearms, secondly it only took me about five minutes to donate all the blood needed instead of the 10 to 15 it usually takes. Have any others of you noticed this, if so then I think all climbers should donate blood more because we a just able to do it well.

thetroutscout

Feb 28, 2006, 9:43 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Re: Blood donation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the strangest post ever...

Just because you're arms are totally beefed out doesn't mean you able to "give blood faster." There are many variables involved in that scenario. After seeing your "big veins" the nurse could have chosen a bigger needle thus allowing more blood to flow. Your heart rate and blood pressure could have increased from ego boost you had just received. Maybe she was a hottie. Maybe you were more motivated by the thoughts a sweet juice and a cookie. Next time I go in to give blood I'm going to race the person next to me.

^^ike

nrg_sr_climber

Feb 28, 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hydration plays a role also. If your dehydrated you will give blood much slower then when you are well hydrated. My friends and I race when we give blood, just gives you something to do while your laying there.

auraseer

Feb 28, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right, climbers should donate blood more-- but that's just because everyone should donate blood more. I doubt climbing was the reason you had an easy time.

I've been donating blood regularly for years, since long before I started climbing. Phlebotomists have always commented on my good veins, and I routinely finish a pint in 4-5 minutes. Climbing hasn't changed this at all for me.

The big factor in ease of donation is the size and accessibility of your veins, which is set by genetics. In fact, one reason they use the vein in the crook of your elbow is that it's largely unaffected by how much muscle or fat your arms have.

At best, being a climber may have helped you flex your fist while donating, moving slightly more blood with the muscle action. That's likely an insignificant advantage, though, as even little old ladies have no trouble squeezing that little foam ball.

Partner phaedrus

Feb 28, 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe the nurse was just hitting on you... "My, what big veins you have!" :wink: :lol:

iclime

Mar 1, 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I'm definitely agreed that this is a weird thread. Anyway... I second the hydration notion: you will definitely give your blood away faster if you are well- (heck, even over-) hydrated. In the same vein (har!) it helps if you can get your blood moving a bit before hand. Don't do anything crazy, but maybe a ten-minute jog or something before you get in line.
And just in case you don't read the multitude of admonishments and advice, you'll feel a helluva lot better after if you've eaten well the day before. Eat spinach.
M

patto

Mar 1, 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hydration plays a role also. If your dehydrated you will give blood much slower then when you are well hydrated. My friends and I race when we give blood, just gives you something to do while your laying there.

Good! I am not the only one who races my friends.

BTW I have always been fast <5min (470ml), even before rockclimbing.

paganmonkeyboy

Mar 1, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're right, climbers should donate blood more-- but that's just because everyone should donate blood more.

second that...you'd be glad they aren't out if you went in...

qtm

Mar 1, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been giving blood since I was 18, and have donated gallons of blood.

Got some of that back. Had a bad accident (motor vehicle), and got at least a half-gallon transfused during my stay. Was pretty grateful for the donations.

Anyway, I don't think it's ever taken much more than 5 minutes, even the decades before I started climbing. The nurses have always said I had nice big veins. I don't think they can choose different needle sizes since the needles are attached to the collection bags and everyone gets the same bag (I think).

The coolest thing is the "double plasma" machine; instead of taking a pint of blood, it collects a pint of plasma. They hook you up to a machine which sucks out a pint of blood, spins it and removes the plasma, re-injects the remaining back into you (with some saline), then does it again. Definitely not for the queasy.

Donate, it saves lives.

angelaa

Mar 1, 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too have been donating for about 8 years now. & have been told over and over how HUGE my veins are! but I think that comes with muscle mass as well. Also I always get done with my donations in less than 4 minutes and I always get chastised for it . . they're always worried that I bleed too fast and they have something on their machines that can slow it down. Hydration is a big key to bleeding quickly.

I started because my grandfather had always donated blood, and as he aged they wouldn't let him do it any longer. At that time no one in my family gave blood but my grandfather, so when he couldn't do it any longer he felt really bad. I then figured since my grandfather and I are both the same type I should take over for him.

In reply to:
The coolest thing is the "double plasma" machine; instead of taking a pint of blood, it collects a pint of plasma. They hook you up to a machine which sucks out a pint of blood, spins it and removes the plasma, re-injects the remaining back into you (with some saline), then does it again. Definitely not for the queasy.

I agree that Double Plasma machine is cool, but they won't let me do it because I am 5 to 10 lbs too light.

I hear that they have a much higher body weight requirement, because you need higher muscle mass to donate through this method.
I keep trying to tell them that I DO have a higher muscle mass than most women and they should just try it out.

you know what they tell me - Go eat a burger, fries and a shake and come back! I think not!!!

In reply to:
Donate, it saves lives.

Partner csgambill

Mar 1, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They won't let me donate blood. Just because I spend a lot of time in malaria zones they say I can't give blood. Come on, everyone needs a case of malaria now and then to keep you on your toes. Well, not really, but honestly, they won't let me donate blood for that reason.

climberterp

Mar 1, 2006, 9:31 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tiny veins :cry: The two times I've given blood they had to bring in the nurse w/the skillz and use the itty bitty needle......which made the whole process take forever!! And I felt really shaky and funky afterwards, so I didn't do it anymore, but oh the guilt!! (I'm O neg). Now I don't weigh enough, so at least I have a valid excuse.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook