RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

welikoa

Feb 28, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and Chemotherapy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I j

lewisiarediviva

Feb 28, 2006, 6:08 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing and Chemotherapy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I haven't but I can tell you what I have seen from two experiences:

First: My mother-n-law went through chemo. I know that at one point she slept a lot. She was able to keep up with work and she did keep her house clean.

Second: My step sister had ovarian cancer. Survival rate for this cancer is almost zero. She slept a lot more than my mother-n-law but she also managed to somehow keep up with her teen age daughter and ride her horse, except when the horse had pneumonia.

I'd recommend always being with someone who knows your condition and knowing when you can climb according to the cycle you are in. You may be able to climb on day three after chemo.

I see my step sister as an example. You are still alive, so live your life. But take care of yourself too.

thetroutscout

Feb 28, 2006, 9:50 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work with some cancer patients. There are many factors that will rule what you're able to do. Depending on the type, frequency and duration of the chemo will greatly influence how you react and how your body is able to cope. There really isn't a clear answer and you're going to have to figure out what your limits are. You can most likely write off climbing on chemo days. However, if able to, climbing would be a great exercise activity to keep your body and spirit healing. Best wishes in your full recovery.

^^ike

gblauer

Feb 28, 2006, 1:38 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck with your chemo. You are in my prayers.

hillbilly

Feb 28, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

howdy, As a past chemo nurse, I can tell you that everyone reacts differently to the meds given. A good positive tough attitude seems to help more than anything. The ability to maintain proper nutrition and moderate exercise make a huge difference. Lance Armstrong does a good job relating his experience. He even credits the wasting effects of chemo for allowing a body make over. Live Strong

healyje

Feb 28, 2006, 1:59 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welikoa,

I've seen Ben Moon still cranking hard so depending on you're circumstances you may be able to as well. Keep up and at it if you can - all my best to you...

Joseph

losbill

Feb 28, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been there. PM'ed you. Didn't want to leave a long post.

Hillybilly is right. Armstrong's book was on the mark.

dirtineye

Feb 28, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done chemo twice, and am about to probably do it again.

You'll know what you can do and can't do, nobody will have to tell you.

One thing I would seriously consider is, staying out of the gym, because every little scratch I ever got from a gym wall got infected, and in chemo you really don't want that.

In my experience, if your chemo is successful, you will get the chance to remake your body. Keep that in mind. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Assume that it is not a train.

Best advice I can give you is what my oncologist told me, when I asked her, "Am I going to be dead in 6 months?". She replied, "Well maybe. But you have a choice. You can worry about it and be miserable for 6 months, or you can be as positive as you can be and try to make yourself as happy as you can. Either way, the outcome will be the same, you'll be alive or dead, but one way you will have been be miserable, and the other way you will have made the best of things and been as happy as possible.

Second best advice: Find a GOOD Swedish massage therapist. See them once a week during chemo.

crotch

Feb 28, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best of luck on the upcoming chemo. Stay positive!!

piton

Feb 28, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

best of luck to you welikoa and dirtineye.

try to maintain a healthy diet while on chemo.

welikoa

Mar 3, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice and support. CLimb on!

motomagik

Mar 3, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It totally depends on which type of chemo you get. on my first treatment which lasted six months I was very tired most of the time but still sort of functional, I could go for walks and easy bike rides. I wasn't climbing at the time, but I'm sure I would have been able to do some easy stuff.

The second and third treatments I had were horrible, I was in and out of the hospital for 4 months and definitely thought I was going to be dead for sure, couldn't barely even get up the stairs to my bed most days. Anyhting even remotely taxing was out of the question, I remember trying to go for an easy bike ride one day because I was going insane, and couldn't get back up this tiny hill to my house. Took me all afternoon, having to sit down every few steps.

Good luck, stay tough, and your body will tell you what you are able to do. Definitely try to keep your life as normal as possible, but take care of yourself and don't push.

dukeandbeads

Mar 3, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best of luck to you who are facing chemo soon.

I didn't have to have chemo when I had cancer, just radiation. And it was before I was climbing. But in order to feel sane and in control, I had to continue working out in the gym. (Even 3 days after surgery, with a drain in my armpit, I was there on the exercise bike.) What I had to do was just listen to my body and honor it. You'll do the same. Don't feel you have to push hard. You've nothing to prove to anyone, much less yourself.

Some days you'll feel good, like right after chemo (depending on what you're getting) and that's usually because of the steroids you're given with the chemo. A few days later, you may crash. Your blood counts will drop after a while, so you will really need to pay attention to germs.

Anyway, I hope all goes smoothly for you. Get in the gym even for some light climbs for just a few minutes, if that's all you're up to. Mentally, it will be well worth it.

Anne

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook