RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

kevinwaldock

Mar 9, 2006, 9:30 AM
Post #1 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Mounting a Hangboard in Apartment
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello i need help/advise as to how to mount a hangboard in an apt. My main question is if you have plastercine walls what if any kinds of studs are in the walls. The wall feels quite solid, and i can hang off the door capping but if anyone has any advice from a previous experience it would really help me out. thanks in advance.

kevinwaldock

Mar 9, 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #2 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mounting a Hangboard in Apartment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone out there have a similar experience?????

midwestishell

Mar 9, 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #3 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo Dude
You should have a couple of options. If you can locate the studs (16" or 24" on center in a newer house) just screw the damn thing in. If you are worried about the plaster/sheetrock cracking drill the holes out first. Older houses can be tricky since the studs are not always perfectly spaced. You may need to think about using large lag bolts to hold up the hangboard. I have done this in the past with 4 lags and the board resting on the door frame and had no problem. Make sure you have stong walls if you want to use the lags though.

Good luck. Every house is going to be different.

Th

kevinwaldock

Mar 9, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #4 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the above advice. but has anyone ever mounted a board in a apartment building with plaster walls. anyone..... :?

fobnicat

Mar 9, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #5 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been wondering waht I will do when I move into my new apartment in a few months... Im not allowed to mount it to the wall so as of now I am considering building a frame taht I can collapse down and store away..
Planning on doing 2 "A" frame pieces /\ with another board across the back taht will fold downa nd keep it from swaying side to side then connect it at the top with a metal rod that with have the hanging board attachedt o it... Just another idea..

tobym

Mar 10, 2006, 1:08 AM
Post #6 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it necessary to post the thread twice? :wink:

cruzinsouthoc

Mar 10, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #7 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How old is the apartment? Sometimes, plaster on interior walls may mean metal stud walls, probably not in an apartment, but it's a possibility. You may want to look into that because you can't attach anything to them - if there are other fixtures attached to the wall, then it's a good bet you have regular 2x4's.

If there are 2x4's to attach to, then as long as you mount the hangboard properly as to prevent excessive movement while in use, then you won't damage the plaster anymore than you would have damaged gyp board.

You might want to find a way to mount plywood to the wall and make it as solid as you can. Then after you figured out how you're going to do that, attach the hangboard to the plywood. The holes in a hangboard are probably not going to line up exactly with the center of your studs so this makes sure you can use all of the botl holes in the hang board and you can use any fastening pattern you want with the plywood to the wall since you're not worried about lining up the holes in the hangboard.

anykineclimb

Mar 10, 2006, 6:30 AM
Post #8 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here ya go. A free standing, hangboard, um, holder.

http://i3.photobucket.com/...orolik/hangboard.jpg

All you need is some 2x4s, a small piece of plywood and a circular saw. Oh yeah and a screw gun and some 3' deck screws!

If you don't have the space, you can shorten the "feet" and widen it to go "around" a doorway. Use a couple of screws to hold it against the wall and you should be golden.

fobnicat

Mar 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #9 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah anykineclimb has the right idea.. same thing I was saying except I was hoping to make mine collapsable for storage in my small ass apartment

korntera

Mar 10, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #10 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just put the hangboard above your doorway in a header, there is always a huge thick peice there. Otherwise do like the above people said, find the studs. You can get a stud finder for under $10 then screw in a peice of plywood into the studs and then screw the hangboard into the plywood.

gtaussie15

Mar 29, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #11 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeh most of the time there is a huge piece of wood in the wall directly above the doorjam, just screw into that. If not then drill some holes into the plaster walls and use huge toggle bolts (thoes spring loaded thing) to scre the board in. But personally, I would look at studs first.

gtaussie15

Mar 29, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #12 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeh most of the time there is a huge piece of wood in the wall directly above the doorjam, just screw into that. If not then drill some holes into the plaster walls and use huge toggle bolts (thoes spring loaded thing) to scre the board in. But personally, I would look at studs first.

Partner brent_e

Mar 30, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #13 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just find the freakin studs, dude. Grab a spike, pound it into the plaster. If your house is really old you're going to hit the wood everywhere, but you should be able to tell what is the thin stuff that supports the plaster, and what is a stud. When you find one, and i'm not sure what was conventional back then, but your next is going to be 16-24" away. If the studs are too far appart to be of any use, take a piece of plywood or something nice, if you prefer, mount it to the wall hitting the studs, and mount the board to that.

Brent

snothead

Mar 30, 2006, 8:31 AM
Post #14 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think my last post worked...?

Ditto on the stud finder and plywood backing. I put a hangboard on hard plaster walls in my apartment. Plaster is fricking hard, and using a stud finder was even harder cause it was really inaccurate. The studs over your door may not be spaced the same as the wall studs. Use as large a piece of plywood as you can to distribute the weight over more screws in more studs in order to ensure it will hold your weight. The plaster in my walls is thicker than drywall - you'll need really long screws. And the holes have to be predrilled. Even doing that I burnt out the motor on my cheap drill and had to get a new one in the middle of the project.
I painted the plywood white and once it was up I put white tape over the screw ends and it blends in quite well. It looked like crap when I tried it without painting it.

Good luck.

treez

Mar 30, 2006, 9:10 AM
Post #15 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love these threads.

Many interior door openings will not have headers, but there is always a plate where the wall meets the cieling.

So cut your ply to go from the top of the head casing to the cieling. If the casing is as strong as you say it is, it will resist downward pressure while a few screws at the top will keep it from flipping out.

You might break the tape joint, but that can be caulked.

The holes can be filled with Onetime when you move.

Any way you shake it, you will need some touch - up paint.

"door capping" Priceless.

ski_n_scale

Apr 1, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #16 of 16 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just built half an A frame type of thing using two 2x4's that i can lean against the wall above my door. I have my hangboard screwed onto a piece of plywood that is attached to a dowel that hangs from the two 2x4 legs. It doesn't scuff or damage the walls and it's semi-portable so it's convenient.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook