RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

nola_mark

Mar 20, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Slidell Rocks, LA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a climbing partner in the New Orleans/Slidell region to work with at the Slidell Rocks climbing gym. I live in downtown New Orleans and I can assist with transportation to and from Slidell.

I am a beginner and I was introduced to indoor climbing by my former roommate who is a 10+ year veteran of climbing. I've only climbed 4 times previously and have not yet tried bouldering. I'm interested in partners of any skill level but beware that I am a newb.

lizarddoc

Mar 25, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slidell Rocks, LA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't know they had a rock gym in Slidell! I thought there was one in NO that was pretty good as well? Maybe it was affected by everything last fall.
I have a friend in Mandeville that my be interested in meeting you there one night. I'll let him know to look here!
katie

Partner tgreene

Mar 25, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #3 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lood around here for STL_Climber, as he's just recently transplanted to NOLA from St. Louis and is a stout climber that's forever looking for partners...

ClimbMax closed down since they were on Canal Street and likely completely under water. Elmwood Fitness Center has a Nicros 3D tower in Kenner, if it survived. http://www.elmwoodfitness.com/...?button=rock_wall_on

ninja_climber

Mar 25, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah man whats your name? I worked in Slidell Rocks last year my names Adi. Tell the guy that owns it I said hi. Its an awsome gym, just opened up March 2005. The owners name is Charlie.

Go climb man!

nola_mark

Mar 28, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #5 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. Didn't think I'd get any replies to this thread after the first week. I saw the post by STL_climber but he's obviously an experienced climber so I didn't want to pressure him to deal with a beginner like me. Given my lack of experience I figured it was better to let others approach me instead of vice versa.

Adi, I'll definitely say 'hey' to Charlie when I get there. Never hurts to make friends with the people that own and/or work at the gym.

I'm not sure about 'climbmax' being closed from the flooding but I know they at least had reduced hours based on their website. Based on that and also reviews I've read of the place I figured it would be better just to drive the 1/2hr to Slidell and go to a good gym. I haven't been there yet and I was planning on going this past weekend for the first time but the shoes I ordered from REI are too small so I have to exchange them. That will certainly take a while with the shipping times.

nola_angie

Mar 28, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #6 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb-max is closed. So closed it's stripped to the walls, even the railing outside is gone. I used to have a bunch of people who climbed in NOLA, but with Climb-max closed, our little family broke up and I don't think many of them are even climbing anymore.

If you see a tall guy named John (he's a great climber) tell him Angie and Mel say hello. Also keep an eye out for a guy with a huge dragon tattooed on his back, and a great snake on one shoulder and Egyptian motifs on the other- his name is Ted, and he's a great teacher. If you *DO* spot him. please PM me. I've found all my old climbing family except him.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm not in NOLA anymore. Stuck in Texas :(

but at least there is real rock out here! :wink:

ninja_climber

Mar 29, 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #7 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol The guy with the Dragon is a Daryll(sp?) and the tall guy named John is going to be with a bit shorter guy named Sean. If you see t hard core climbers with a huge wing span climbing with a crowd of teenagers my age around them...thats them....

fitzontherocks

Mar 29, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #8 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At one time, ClimbMax also had a place in Kenner, in addition to the one on Canal. Is the Kenner location closed, too? And where is the gym in Slidell? (I'm a former New Orleanian and get down there fairly often. In fact, I'm headed there tomorrow for a wedding.)

Partner tgreene

Mar 29, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #9 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Given my lack of experience I figured it was better to let others approach me instead of vice versa.
That's super thoughtful and commendable, BUT, it's unlikely that an experienced climber will seek out n00bs... On the other hand, they are generally very happy to oblige when they are sought out.

Also, for a really good workout, ya could always just traverse the Causeway! :mrgreen:

nola_angie

Mar 29, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #10 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lol The guy with the Dragon is a Daryll(sp?) and the tall guy named John is going to be with a bit shorter guy named Sean. If you see t hard core climbers with a huge wing span climbing with a crowd of teenagers my age around them...thats them....

Nah, Darrly has a small circle dragon...he's got a girlfriend now, and I don't think he climbs anymore. Ted has a full back dragon- all yellow with some orange...it's amazing. he always wears a cap, but underneath is he's a red head! Cool guy. Darryl is a great teacher, too, but I don't think he's out much. Lani, if you see him...he's so sweet. Dark kid, lopsided grin...usually instagating a chalk fight.

I miss them.

Hey, who the hell are you? Did we ever climb together???

If you knew the German kid, Tom...I have his car!!! :lol:

ninja_climber

Mar 30, 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #11 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol I don't think we've ever climbed together...I think...I lived in Slidell up until August. I usually climbed at the gym with friends from school and occasionaly went to HP40 with John and Sean.

stl_climber

Mar 31, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #12 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Elmwood fitness center in Harahan opens their tower at the end of April but restricted hours like everything lately, no leading, and only auto-belays. However, I drove by it the other week and laps on auto-belay should be decent training.

I might head over to Slidell rock gym tonight to get some bouldering in. Just PM me if you want to climb on a weekday at the gym. I am not sure about leading in that gym. I need to get a look at how they have the bolts into the wall, wall composition, and not sure if like the fact the anchors at the top are single instead of two. Kinda voids the whole always in on two points philosophy.

I am more interested in a place to just tug on plastic.

Still looking for a partner for climbing trips to TN, Arkansas, and OK areas...

nola_mark

Apr 2, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #13 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll let you know when I'll be heading over to the Slidell gym. As I mentioned, I'm waiting for my new shoes to get shipped which will be at least a week yet. After that I'll PM you to let you know.

stl_climber

Apr 3, 2006, 1:43 PM
Post #14 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym isn't bad. I visited twice of the weekend. The boulder area has a lot of promise, and the density of holds were good. However, not enough slopers and crimps. I noticed a lot of problems that look like they went up then holds were used for others and the original problem was not removed.

The gym affords you a pretty good chance to just work the traverse from one end to the other. Good training.

The route climbing looked okay. I have not jumped on the normal wall. I did hear they recieved in some new bolts and will be putting them on the wall.

I doubt I will do much leading though. They seem to be putting up the bolt line along the route line or maybe it was just because they lacked a good quantity of bolts? I do not know. All I know is I watched a guy lead climb yesterday and if he had fallen at his last bolt it would have been a good 12-15 foot fall. Not a bad fall but the fact his last clip was 6-7 feet to his right on a left facing corner would have swung him either into the corner. The gym is definitely not a place to learn lead climbing safely indoors. Not a newbie lead climber gym. Not sure what the point of not running a straight bolt line is in the gym? Run the bolt line then put up a route around it. Most gyms I have seen due to liability usually over bolt. Definitely not the case at Slidell Rocks. They still need to put two anchors at the top of each route.

Oh well, least its a place to tug plastic between trips outdoors. My back, neck, and triceps are so tweaked... That kinda thing puts a smile on your face.

fitzontherocks

Apr 3, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #15 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stl_climber and nola_mark, when you guys are ready for a road trip to Arkansas, let me know. As a former New Orleanian, I'd be glad to show you some sweet sandstone. (Went to a wedding in NOLA this weekend and had a great time. Our former neighbors had a crawfish boil for us. I was in heaven... again.)

ninja_climber

Apr 3, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #16 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

God I miss crawfish boils... :cry:

fitzontherocks

Apr 3, 2006, 6:28 PM
Post #17 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mudbugs... in Sarajevo?

guinchard

Apr 4, 2006, 1:52 AM
Post #18 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just spent 8 hours of my Saturday night at slidell rocks, its a great gym. they rent shoes too so you don't have to wait till your shoes come in to go. I'm planning on making a weekly visit there so IM me if you are still looking for a partner

stl_climber

Apr 4, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #19 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should be up for ST or maybe the Ranch in a few weekends. I wanted to do some climbing to the right of the rap station at ST and also put a rope back up on Windy Arm buster (sp?).

A few lines at the Ranch I want to get back on or was eyeing last time I was up there also.

I'll drop you a PM.

I have been thinking about the Wichitas also. Its all 8-9 hours for me now. I am still looking for a local partner to do some trips to the T-Wall.

Partner chugach001

Apr 4, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #20 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this site for more local climbing info...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cajunclimbers/

Jeff

ninja_climber

Apr 4, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #21 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh...edited: cuz I'm a retard and posted before I finished typing...

ninja_climber

Apr 4, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #22 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol maybe you missed it fitz ,but I lived in Slidell up until August. and worked at Slidell Rocks. Actually while I'm typing this I'm also typing a reply to an email from the owner. Awsome guy btw...he's a ninja too...was my sensei until I left.

gerkins31

May 12, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #23 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved out to Covinton. I used to go to climbax fairly regularly, but now the closest gym to me is Slidell rocks, wich is 40 minutes away, and gas isn't getting any cheaper. Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone in the covington area looking to partner up and save some gas for the trip to Slidell? Or better yet, does anyone know if there are any other climbing gyms closer to Covington? my seaches keep coming up dry.

ninja_climber

May 15, 2006, 5:59 PM
Post #24 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only gyms in LA are Slidell Rocks,Rok Haus, and the former Climbax...your only alternatives are 1.Slidell Rocks 2.HP40...or 3.which I have done..climb Olive Garden...hell its all inset stone...

kane_schutzman

Jun 13, 2006, 3:47 AM
Post #25 of 25 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice to see we have some fellow LA Climbers! I live in Ruston, about 5 minutes from LA Tech. What is the closest gym to me? Hell, any climbing for that matter!

I would love to make some trips to Ark, or somewhere nearby if you guys go. I am not experienced, but I would sure tag along to gain some!

Let me know!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook