RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

alpine_monk

Mar 20, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

WYOMING I'm comming!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will soon be departing NY to live in wyoming. I don't have a job there yet, I don't know what town I want to live in, and I don't know anyone there. I just want to be withing a short driving distance of Jackson Hole and the Tetons...so a few questions: how expensive is Jackson and/or Teton Village? If they are very expensive are there towns close by that are more reasonable? Is it easy to find work (i want to find simple labor work while I am getting my wilderness first responder training)? are there some decent spots close to said location that I could live out of my truck? anyone willing to put me up and show me around for a few days? my closest friends are in Steemboat Springs CO. so that would be a bit of a drive to stay at their place and try to set myself up in WY.

any info or contacts would be greatly appreciated. post here or PM me.

watchme

Mar 20, 2006, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Re: WYOMING I'm comming! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever you do, don't move to Cody. It sucks. :wink:

guanoboy

Mar 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Star Valley to the south gets rural and cheap pretty quick. Wilson is cheaper little town to the west with a high number of yurt-livers. enjoy. I hope you like to ski - winter is about 9months long in J. hole.

mistajman

Mar 20, 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lander would be a good choice.

apolobamba

Mar 20, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Baggs, WY - HAHAHAHAHAHAHH

You have no idea what you are doing.

wyomingclimber

Mar 20, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so a few questions: how expensive is Jackson and/or Teton Village?

Very. I think Teton County is the wealthiest county in the U.S. An old, somewhat run down 2br townhouse would be well over $300k

In reply to:
If they are very expensive are there towns close by that are more reasonable?

Not really. Jackson is surrounded by public land and geographic barriers. Most people who want to live somewhere cheaper live either in Alpine (about 50 min drive in summer) or Victor (about 40 min in summer.)

In reply to:
Is it easy to find work (i want to find simple labor work while I am getting my wilderness first responder training)?

No problem. Don't expect top pay, but employee shortages are pretty common in Jackson.

In reply to:
are there some decent spots close to said location that I could live out of my truck?

People definitely do it, though I never have, so I don't have the beta.

In reply to:
anyone willing to put me up and show me around for a few days? my closest friends are in Steemboat Springs CO. so that would be a bit of a drive to stay at their place and try to set myself up in WY.

I'm headed out of town for a while and I'm not sure when I'm coming back, so I can't help you there. I'd suggest going into the climbing gym or maybe checking out the climber's ranch. People in those places should be able to help you out.

alpine_monk

Mar 21, 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the replies so quickly. looking at a map Wilson and Victor both look like they would be reasonable proximity. and yes to whoever asked if I like sking...well actually boarding.

In reply to:
Baggs, WY - HAHAHAHAHAHAHH

You have no idea what you are doing.
Er, what? I've been bouncing around between climbing towns half of my life with quite a high succes rate. These days I lean more towards long exposed alpine climbs and backcountry boarding. Jackson happens to have both, and on a high quality level. why does wanting to move there make me clueless?

wyomingclimber

Mar 21, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind two things:

1: Wilson isn't any cheaper than Jackson and doesn't probably have much in the way of the type of housing you'd be looking for.

2: While Victor looks close on the map, it's over Teton Pass. Good skiing, bad driving.

Like all resort towns, Jackson has it's issues, but if you like to board and climb alpine stuff (and perhaps mountain bike) it's hard to beat.

Don't come here for the sportclimbing, tho...

alpine_monk

Mar 21, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Don't come here for the sportclimbing, tho...
HAHAHAHAHA

petsfed

Mar 21, 2006, 1:01 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The turnover rate in Jackson for the average low income individual is quite high. If you live out of your truck and take an average paying job, its quite lucrative. However, as soon as you start having to pay rent, bills, etc., the cash flow suddenly seems not big enough. It is VERY expensive to live in Jackson Hole. The Star Valley is nice, but it is the quintessential Wyoming urban area. A little low brow, but endearing. Lander would be my first choice, but it doesn't put you in a good spot for skiing, unless you like back country, and even then the Winds aren't that good for it. Cody would probably be your best option. Reasonably cheap, access to LOADS of alpine/ice, and loads of skiing abounds too. Indeed, watchme warned you away because it fits your criteria perfectly, and only a few hours from the Tetons. From Cody to Moran Junciton is not quite 150 miles. However, in winter, its a very roundabout path, so bear that in mind. Indeed, the road through Yellowstone (which is the most direct route) is closed in winter. In which case, your path leads down to Shoshoni, then back up through Dubois, which is pushing 270 miles. Wyoming in winter can be a bit frustrating.

alpinerockfiend

Mar 21, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey alpine_monk, there are many great spots to live out of your truck within 10 miles of Jackson. Many more within 20. I'll PM you with the specs. I'd be happy to show you when I get back home in May.

Temporary labor jobs are pretty easy to find and pay surprisingly well. Go by the JH Temp Service on Pearl. They'll hook you up. I work for a landscaping company, and we may or may not need some temporary or seasonal help. If you're serious, I can find out for you.

alpine_monk

Mar 21, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NICE!!! I am very serious. my time line is uncertain as of yet though. I may be there as soon as next week and as late as june. June 14th at the absolute latest. some of this also depends on how sure I am of employment so your offer is very much appreciated. Regardless of when I come or if that job works out I will be in contact with you via PM. It coud never hurt to have a contact in that area.

watchme

Mar 21, 2006, 5:11 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you do think you want to check out Cody, you can send me a PM.

This place really is amazing. Quality bouldering 5 min from town, pretty good sport climbing, great WW paddling and mountain biking. And the weather... For the past two weekends I went bouldering in shorts and a t-shirt on Friday afternoon, then ice climbing on saturday. This time of year it is possible to go WW boating, ice climbing, cragging, nordic or alpine skiing, mountain/road biking or hiking within an hour's drive of Cody.

The ice climbing is better in Cody than Jackson, but the skiing is better in Jackson by far. But you can go cragging most of the winter in Cody whereas Jackson it's usually too cold. In the summer when the roads through Yellowstone are clear, I think it's about a 3 hour drive from Cody to Jackson. I usually make it to the Tetons several times each summer.

alpine_monk

Mar 21, 2006, 5:23 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks alot watchme, I'm sure at some point I will take you up on your offer.

cosmiccragsman

Mar 21, 2006, 6:16 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't move to Wyoming, Move to Disney World. :lol:
Cosmiccragsman

my_lenka

Mar 22, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi,
i think jackson is a commercial town...but its nice in a way..everything is expensive,but work is needed in area as well and is well paid. i love jacksonhole and im coming back to jackson this summer again (i live in slovakia) . i hope to do a lot of climbing :D u will love the country!

alpine_monk

Mar 22, 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eastern Europians are some of my favorite people, drop me a PM whenever you are coming to Jackson and we can climb!!! after all thats what this site is all about right?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook