RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

jakedatc

Mar 21, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Lincoln woods last week(3/16)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here ya go.. i didn't do much with this but i could get you a unedited version too if you'd like.
http://img.photobucket.com/...woods/3_16_06002.jpg

tarzan420

Mar 22, 2006, 2:02 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lincoln woods last week(3/16) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

looking/reaching is always better, it looks/feels a little static as of right now.

the blown out background is kind of distracting, IMO, but it does give you a very definite foreground/background.

I'd definitiely like a tighter crop, and that would allow you to take care of the blown out spots.

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2006, 2:46 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

she's hand foot matching... i'd consider that reaching..

the blown out i had to accept to get the angle.. a different day in better light would be much better.. i agree it's a bit distracting.

for me tight cropped boulder pics lose the story of the problem. but thats my opinion.. depends on what your goal is i suppose. if it was a route i'd agree 100%

Thanks.. keep it coming

melekzek

Mar 22, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can agree about the story part, but light is how you tell the story. If you are going to kill the story while telling it, it does not matter how good the story was.

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2006, 5:36 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

?
http://img.photobucket.com/...oods/3_16_06002b.jpg

mr_mohaupt

Mar 22, 2006, 5:56 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hum... the crop is much better but overall I am still not sold on the image. Was it shot on film? It seems soft or something, I am guessing the scan.

~Mike

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2006, 6:48 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's digi.. just compressed to fit on photobucket. might be a touch out of focus due to the fact that i was backing up and falling over my crashpad while i was taking the pics. Park guys were having us move so they could drop a tree after she finished that try.. luckily she sent it first go.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/Lincoln%20woods/ that has the rest of the series..

krillen

Mar 22, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dind't notice the hand/foot match until you mentioned it. I think if I were shooting I would have tired to exaggerate that more. If you had the option, and we don't always, the higher you could have got at the spot where you are standing the better. The downward angle woudl open up her body and reduce those hotspots.

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea.. i would have liked that angle.. but we were getting moved.. it would have solved alot of the problems brought up

melekzek

Mar 23, 2006, 7:32 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I dind't notice the hand/foot match until you mentioned it. I think if I were shooting I would have tired to exaggerate that more.

not only her leg covers the move, it is too dark and flat to tell. Since you did not expose for the shadow, it is too dark. Poor camera tries to balance between very light and dark regions, and gives up overexposing the background and underexposing the story.

Bring back some color and contrast there.

jakedatc

Mar 23, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea.. i gotta stop being a lazy ass and start using my digi in the modes more like my SLR. aperture priority setting is usually what i throw it in to focus the DOF and let the shutter sort itself out. oh well.. when you're in a rush i guess you can only accept what you get

melekzek

Mar 23, 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
aperture priority setting is usually what i throw it in to focus the DOF and let the shutter sort itself out. oh well.. when you're in a rush i guess you can only accept what you get

automatic modes work great most of the time, but you have to be able to tell when it is going to err. This case is a textbook example, where the automatic exposure is not going to make it because of the large difference between lit/shadow areas. It could have been worse, automatic mode could have selected to expose for the lit areas, and you will end up with the talent in complete darkness. Or it could have selected to expose for the shadow, which is where your subject is, and you will get a nice exposed talent, but complete white in the background. When you left the choice to the camera, you have to live what you get. I almost always shoot in manual mode with spot metering, and like to check zones etc, but i am a control freak.

That is said, since you are using a digital, you have no excuse for an obvious exposure error. You shoot, check you picture, oh automatic mode did not made it, so you correct and shoot. Repeat until you get it right :twisted:

jakedatc

Mar 23, 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea.. like i said .. it was her first and only burn on the problem and we were getting moved out of there by the park people. I was shooting one handed.. backing up.. moving bags etc haha. If she(or anyone else) gets on that problem again and i want to take pictures i'll be hanging over the top of the boulder shooting down.. maybe a bit from climbers left

the conditions weren't good.. mid day. like f22 sun.. harsh shadows. I'd love to use my SLR and have the familiarity that i do with that.
my slr "workflow" as it were:
AP,SP,M
zoom into grey-ish area with same light.. pick A and S settings
autofocus on subject click half way to lock
compose shot.. shoot.

i just need to figure out how to do that quickly with my digi. because i won't take my slr out to climb unless i'm not going to climb and someone is getting on something super photogenic. so i'm just have to hope for a few decent shots among crap

Partner philbox

Mar 24, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing I will add and that the talent has too many clothes on and I do NOT mean that in a sexist way, I would say the same if the talent were a bloke. For me climbing a hard boulder problem is all about muscle definition as much as it is about the form of a human climbing something.

Those big fat clothes on a skinny body tells me that it is way cold though. Of course the cold weather adds to friction so that also tells me part of the story that this pic is about.

I agree with the overblown background being a distraction. That is all I am seeing in this pic. The talent and the dark shadows are completely overwhelmed in this scene.

Best part of the pic is the long flowing mane of blond hair. If that could be captured in full swing then that would add to the movement that the pic would hint at. Once again I am not making these statements out of sexism. Just stating an opinion.

jakedatc

Mar 24, 2006, 2:10 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea.. it was 40F (5 C?) out.. if i had asked i bet she would have gone for less for the picture but my gf was there also and that would NOT have sounded good "uhh could you have less clothes on" :looks down to see a branch sticking through my chest: oo damn

her hair is great and it's funny because she had it all tucked into her jacket early in the day and someone i told to say hi if they saw us didnt realize because i said "i'll be with a blonde" so once we realized who was who she pulled her hair out and they were like ahhhh i see now

When it warms up i'll try to get her to repeat it for a good photo. it has the potential for a nice shot.

krillen

Mar 24, 2006, 2:20 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fill flash would have helped bring your exposure values MUCH closer together. It wouldn't have corrected everything, but it would have given you more latitude to play with.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook