RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pinnaclechick

Aug 20, 2002, 4:51 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

"Columbia River Gorge"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe there've been forums about this already, if so, sorry..but can anyone tell me what, if any, the climbing is like at the Columbia River Gorge in WA/OR? (or send a link..)
Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: cass on 2002-08-20 09:55 ]

tradgirl

Aug 20, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

"Columbia River Gorge" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a veritable plethora of climbing.

Broughton's Bluff at Lewis and Clark State Park.

Horsethief Butte in Dallesport

Beacon Rock

I think these are the major areas. At least that's where we find ourselves every weekend. Shoot me a PM if you're looking for people to hook up with for Gorge climbing (or Portland climbing for that matter).

Laurie

billcoe_

Aug 20, 2002, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi:

If you're thinking of moving out here from Ga. Be apprised that our rainy season just ended and will be starting again in ohhh, about 15 min.

As "Beth Wald" put it so succintly, it's a "slug infested corner of the Northwest".

That's why my friend Gary made started the 2nd rock climbing gym in the country (the first being in Seattle of course!)

Best climbing most of the year is in the gym.

BUT: it's a relatively short drive to Smith, you can snow skii damn near year round (A ski racer just died up there last week), and they say the windsurfing in Hood River is some of the best.

That might not have added much to your question: but there it is.
Bill

pinnaclechick

Aug 20, 2002, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone - thanks for the responses..

Bill - I'm actually from Bellingham, WA! Very familiar with the rain. I am not planning on moving back anytime soon, but I do want to get some ideas of places to go climbing in the future when I go home on family visits.

Thanks again for the info!

thrillseeker05

Aug 21, 2002, 7:52 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is great climbing not only in the gorge but all around hood and minutes from Portland...
only true Orgonians whine about the rain even when it's sunnny.

i climb outside.. ALL year round.

pinnaclechick

Aug 21, 2002, 8:30 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, when I was a Washingtonian, I whined about rain too - but after living in TX and now in GA - I know better. We'll take whatever we can get, and with a smile..

bowline

Aug 29, 2002, 3:55 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beacon Rock is well worth the visit. Good atmosphere, long crack routes with great protection, scenic. Broughton's Bluff and the several small sport crags outside Portland are not of the same caliber, unless your main interest is short sport routes. But Beacon's routes are mostly 9s, 10s, and 11s, only a few easier.

krustyklimber

Aug 29, 2002, 5:05 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Becca,

When you go home to Bellingham there is no need to drive half way across the state to go climbing... there is good climbing at Larabie State Park in Bellinham, at Mt Erie in Anacortes, South and East of you is Darrington with it's great granite domes and East is the Liberty Spires group...

But if you have to climb in the lower gorge area Beacon Rock (when it's not closed) Rocky Butte (in Portland) and Broughton Bluffs (also P-land) are the best choices for established areas.

All along the Columbia River and it's tribs all the way up into Canada are more cliffs then a person could climb in a lifetime! Many not published in guide books and even kept secret.

When you are ready to "come home" let me know and I can help you plan your schedule and hook you up with the right people.

Jeff

tbone

Aug 29, 2002, 6:05 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed a little at the mentioned Vantage, Frenchmen's coulee. Realy interesting area with cheap camping but aways off from the gorge. Awesome spot to camp/climb when going to see a concert at nearby gorge amp. Saw Dave Matthews last year for three days and climbed while there. If ya go while there are concerts don't plan on going to sleep till way late as there is a lot of partying going on in the camping area.

pinnaclechick

Aug 29, 2002, 1:46 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krusty, thanks MUCH. Why I didn't think of Larrabee.. Climbing is new to me but quickly becoming a passion, so I guess I might have figured it out eventually.. There are so many parks in and around Bellingham / Whatcom County .. now I'm sitting here visualizing them all.. trying to remember where the rocks are

I'll definately be in touch before I go up there. Looking forward to my visits home now even more.

Thanks All!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook