RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Mar 26, 2006, 7:57 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

1 meter fall on the ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am not sure what this climber was doing; if you are an ice climber, explain what she was doing.
Thanks

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060325p2a00m0na022000c.html

=================================

Mountain climber dies in freak one-meter fall

NAGANO -- A 50-year-old mountain climber died in a freak accident after she fell one meter on a frozen waterfall and strangled herself on tape attached to spikes driven into the ice face, police said.

Fellow climbers on the 2,805-meter-high Mount Amida in Chino, Nagano Prefecture, alerted police at about 11:30 a.m. on Saturday.

Officers arrived at the scene by helicopter to find Mikiko Kawaguchi, a company employee from Chiba Prefecture, dead.

Police said that Kawaguchi was climbing the 15-meter-tall frozen waterfall with three partners when she apparently lost balance and fell.

Kawaguchi had attached tape to her pitons, the steel spikes hammered into the ice face, in order to allow ropes to pass through them more smoothly, police said. (Mainichi)

alexnees

Mar 26, 2006, 8:28 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Re: 1 meter fall on the ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Horrible... but my guess is that the "tape" is sling material and the "ice pitons" are ice screws or something. Doesn't really matter, maybe she really was using old pound-in Snargs or something. Anyway, it sounds as though she had put a runner on one of her points of protection to keep the rope running straight, then she climbed above it, took the fall, and somehow got the runner wrapped around her neck.

I've never heard of this before, but I don't see how she needed to be doing anything especially unusual for it to happen. Just bad, bad luck. Perhaps a crampon point caught, causing her to fall head first, and her head went through the sling?

jackflash

Mar 26, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

She could have been carrying the sling around her neck and shoulder. To avoid dropping the sling, perhaps she left it around her neck when clipping the screw, then took the fall before she could get it completely off.

billl7

Mar 26, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
She could have been carrying the sling around her neck and shoulder. To avoid dropping the sling, perhaps she left it around her neck when clipping the screw, then took the fall before she could get it completely off.
The above came to my mind as well. Or maybe she just had the sling around her neck in the first place.

So, I realize having a sling around your neck is a no-no since, in a fall, it could catch on something/anything and do the same as for this unfortunate person. But what are folks opinion on having the sling around the neck on one side and under the armpit on the other (neck-shoulder configuration)? I've climbed that way. Am I setting myself up?

Bill L.

climbingaggie03

Mar 26, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that carrying slings over your head and under your arm is safe because if you were to fall with that, it would catch on your arm before it caught your neck. What's dangerous is taking it out from under your arm and leaving it just around your neck. Sad that this happened to the girl, however it did.

overlord

Mar 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that carrying slings over your head and under your arm is safe because if you were to fall with that, it would catch on your arm before it caught your neck. What's dangerous is taking it out from under your arm and leaving it just around your neck. Sad that this happened to the girl, however it did.

i wouldnt call a 50-year old a girl :wink:

now, thats a freak accident.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook