Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 27, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #1 of 61 (18593 views)
Shortcut

We need your help! Bozeman Pass Access Alert
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently received this email, Montana climbers need your help.

Please read on....

In reply to:
SMCC Members,

Your help is needed now to protect the future of rock climbing on Bozeman Pass.

As many of you know, a large land conservation project involving over 2000 acres has been underway on the Pass for the past few years. The project will protect a critical wildlife corridor and provide new access points to public lands. The project will also directly benefit the climbing community.

Many of you contacted the Montana Congressional delegation last year in support of this project. Thanks to those efforts, Congress appropriated $1 million in the 2005 Land and Water Conservation Fund Budget. The project requires an additional Congressional appropriation of $1.6 million. Your help is needed again this year to secure the last increment of funding necessary to complete the project.

Without the conservation project the long-term prospects for climbing on Bozeman Pass are not good. The popular climbing area on the north side of I-90 is entirely on private land. Most of the crags on the south side, including Frog Rock, are situated on public land, but access to the rock is across private land. Parking for all of the climbing is along I-90, and the Montana Department of Transportation has stated unequivocally that it will eventually curtail use of the present parking areas for safety reasons. In short, future climbing on the Pass is at risk.

The conservation project, once completed, will secure permanent access for climbers who wish to enjoy the limestone crags on both the north and south sides of I-90. The climbing area on the north side of I-90 will become public land administered by the Gallatin National Forest. Plans call for the development of a new parking area, a trail allowing permanent public access to the crags, and cooperative management of the area for climbing. Another new trail will provide public access to Frog Rock and other crags on the south side of I-90.

To achieve that result, however, as many letters, e-mails, and calls as possible from climbers are needed now. Please contact, and ask your friends to contact, Senator Burns, Senator Baucus, and Representative Rehberg encouraging their support of this project. They need to hear from you to help them convince Congress that this budget item deserves priority. If you can write only one letter, address it to Senator Burns, since he is on a key committee with respect to this funding.

An action alert further describing the project and providing addresses and other information is attached. Also attached are sample letters, but we encourage you individualize your letter and inform our representatives that you use these lands and that they are important to you.

Southwest Montana climbers cannot afford to lose climbing areas. The small amount of time required from each of us to write letters could yield a big benefit. Thanks for your help!

Bill Dockins
Access Committee
Southwest Montana Climbers Coalition

These areas are in jeopardy. Please, we need your emails, calls, and letters.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=43968
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=14224
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=57775
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=41055

In reply to:
The Honorable Conrad Burns
United States Senate
187 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Re: Bozeman Pass/Schmidt Property

Dear Senator Burns:

This year, the U.S. Forest Service and Gallatin County are trying to complete an exciting land conservation
project in the Bozeman Pass area, only five miles east of downtown Bozeman. The project covers
approximately 2,055 acres, straddling Interstate 90. It occupies a key part of a critical wildlife corridor, which
many biologists regard as being one of the most important linkage sites in the entire Yellowstone region.
Ensuring that there is enough undeveloped land between the Gallatin and Bridger/Bangtail mountain ranges is
critical to the continued survival of elk, moose, deer, black bear and other wide-ranging animal species.

In the coming months, approximately 250 acres, in the first phase of the project, will be purchased and
conveyed to the Forest Service. Another 390 acres are available for purchase this year in the second phase of
the project. If these acres are successfully acquired, then another 175 acres will be donated to the Forest
Service outright, with an additional 1,240 acres conserved through a conservation easement to be purchased by
Gallatin County. The County has already committed $800,000 for this purpose. While LWCF funding will only
be used to purchase a total of 640 acres, it will ultimately be responsible for stimulating the permanent
conservation of more than three times as many acres.

Thanks to your leadership, the U.S. Forest Service has already received $1 million from the Land and Water
Conservation Fund (LWCF) to help pay for the project. This money will be used to purchase the first 250 acres
in the coming months. Another $1.6 million is currently being sought from the LWCF to pay for the remaining
land that is slated to go into public ownership.

In addition to protecting a key part of a critical wildlife corridor, this project will provide significant public access
benefits, including guaranteed access to a popular rock climbing area and the establishment of a new public
trail, which will greatly enhance access to the Gallatin National Forest.

Even though funding will be tight again this year, I strongly urge you to continue supporting this project and
doing whatever you can to make sure that the needed funding is secured. With your leadership, we have
an opportunity to conserve critical wildlife habitat, while enhancing public access and recreational
opportunities in one of this nation’s most important natural resource areas. Thank you once again for
your help in conserving some of our state’s most special places.

Sincerely,
Name:
Street address:
City, State, Zip:
Phone:
E-mail:

In reply to:
YOUR MESSAGE IS KEY TO SECURING CRITICAL FUNDING THIS YEAR!

We need you to tell Congress know just how much the community supports this project!
Congress will soon be considering its priorities for the LWCF for FY 2007. Please contact your
Congressmen, thank them for securing partial funding for this project last year, and encourage their
support for $1.6 million for the Bozeman Pass/Schmidt property funded through the Land and
Water Conservation Fund in the FY 2007 Interior Appropriations Bill.

(NOTE: Letters to Members of Congress can take months to get through due to security concerns.
Instead, please fax, call, or email. To send email, go to the websites listed below.)

The Honorable Conrad Burns
U.S. Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: 202 224-2644
Fax: 202 224-8594

The Honorable Max Baucus
U.S. Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: 202 224-2651
Fax: 202 224-0515

The Honorable Dennis Rehberg
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: 202 225-3211
Fax: 202 225-5687
www.house.gov/rehberg

IT’S VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE CONTACTED OUT
DELEGATION -- PLEASE FAX A COPY OF YOUR LETTER TO 406-582-1136
OR EMAIL THEM TO: LANDTRUST@GVLT.ORG - THANK YOU!!!

Please help us protect climbing for present and future generations. Thank you for the help and support!

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 27, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Re: We need your help! Bozeman Pass Access Alert [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=14811

Please, send those letters, your help is needed.

Tom

Partner j_ung

Mar 27, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #3 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll make this the feature for a while.

boardline22

Mar 27, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll send in my letter tonight when I get home.

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 28, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #5 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

Thanks for the support guys, it is greatly appreciated!

Tom

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 28, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #6 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

Thanks for the support guys, it is greatly appreciated!

Tom

Partner tyify

Mar 28, 2006, 7:49 AM
Post #7 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time to put up some fliers in the University Climbing gym and Spire. I like the pass for its fun sport climbs and easy access. Lets keep this area from being closed!

Partner tyify

Mar 28, 2006, 7:52 AM
Post #8 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And as a add on....here are some photos of the area in question. Just a little early season climbing we did a couple weeks back.

http://www.gourp.com/...nyon%20Rockclimbing/

crimpstrength

Mar 28, 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #9 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont Vermont up Montana (or Oregon)

I'm in for an email

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 30, 2006, 3:48 AM
Post #10 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Time to put up some fliers in the University Climbing gym and Spire. I like the pass for its fun sport climbs and easy access. Lets keep this area from being closed!

The entrance bulletin board at The Spire has the issue on display, with info, sample letters, photos ect...

Sometimes you just need to point it out, some people don't notice.

Just like I figure that even though this thread is on the front page in red, it must be going unnoticed. It only has 550 views.

So here's a bump, hopefully someone will notice it.

Tom

oh yeah, here's another pic. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=71349

roshiaitareya

Mar 31, 2006, 6:44 AM
Post #11 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What happens if this grant doesn't go through? Wouldn't it just stay private land or is the owner threatening to kick the climbers out? I realize the parking situation, and putting a more permanent trail to frog rock, but is that all? And how far does the area go? Will it affect Bear Canyon too? I'll send some emails.

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 31, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #12 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What happens if this grant doesn't go through? Wouldn't it just stay private land or is the owner threatening to kick the climbers out? I realize the parking situation, and putting a more permanent trail to frog rock, but is that all? And how far does the area go? Will it affect Bear Canyon too? I'll send some emails.

In reply to:
Without the conservation project the long-term prospects for climbing on Bozeman Pass are not good. The popular climbing area on the north side of I-90 is entirely on private land. Most of the crags on the south side, including Frog Rock, are situated on public land, but access to the rock is across private land. Parking for all of the climbing is along I-90, and the Montana Department of Transportation has stated unequivocally that it will eventually curtail use of the present parking areas for safety reasons. In short, future climbing on the Pass is at risk.

If it doesn't do through, my understanding is that the present parking will eventually be closed, and that future access may not be an option. According to an article in Outside Bozeman, Ted Lange of the Gallatin Valley Land Trust said, "It's all a package deal. If one piece fall through, the rest of it falls through."

Currently the northside of the pass that contains the bulk of the routes is private land, if we don't secure this, there are no guarantees on future access. There is nothing protecting this climbing...yet.

Please send those letters and emails!

Thanks again,

Tom

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=71374

roshiaitareya

Apr 1, 2006, 6:16 AM
Post #13 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I was just thinking that if they shut down the current parking conditions then a new one could be made. But I suppose the transportation peoples would shut that down too. I'm not saying it's a bad cause, I was just wondering what would happen if it didn't go through.

closetothesun

Apr 4, 2006, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What were the EMail addresses again?

roshiaitareya

Apr 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #15 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What were the EMail addresses again?

For Burns go here...
http://burns.senate.gov/...=ContactInfo.EmailMe

For Baucus go here...
http://baucus.senate.gov/...lForm.cfm?subj=issue

For Rehberg go here...
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Hope those work.

kortazone

Apr 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #16 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know. Bozeman Pass is pretty much a choss pile. Do we really need to waste tons of tax payers dollars just so frat boys have another place to leave (broken) beer bottles? The rock isn't even that good!

It's only redeeming quality is it's proximity to Bozeman.

boardline22

Apr 5, 2006, 3:34 AM
Post #17 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know. Bozeman Pass is pretty much a choss pile. Do we really need to waste tons of tax payers dollars just so frat boys have another place to leave (broken) beer bottles? The rock isn't even that good!

That's the beuty of it, its location. Anyways, I am thinking about going there for college, maybe...

roshiaitareya

Apr 5, 2006, 5:27 AM
Post #18 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I've climbed there and the rock isn't bad. It's limestone, so you can't expect granite quality. And I've never seen broken beer bottles around, or any trash for that matter, it's always been clean when I've gone. And yes it is close to Bozeman, that's why it's great, you can cruise over after your classes and get some climbs in.

P.S. The greek system in Bozeman isn't that big, only about 300 members, so the chances of "frat" boys running around is pretty slim.

bigsky5

Apr 5, 2006, 8:55 PM
Post #19 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Bozeman Pass is fun. I've introduced climbing to a few friends there and will be bummed if we lose access. I've sent emails and will get others to do the same.

atpeaceinbozeman

Apr 6, 2006, 3:41 PM
Post #20 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

At least you're partially correct.

You should go and read the first post, it explains that this is much bigger than rockclimbing. Be sure to read the sample letter too.

The time you spent making an account and posting this could of been spent sending a letter to Baucus. Nice first post though, at least it got the thread some views. :P

Tom

More pics
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=19985
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=42439

kortazone

Apr 6, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #21 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You should go and read the first post, it explains that this is much bigger than rockclimbing. Be sure to read the sample letter too.

I did. It talks about a wildlife corridor. I'm not sure exactly how the corridor runs (it’s not very clearly spelled out in the post) but I think having an interstate running through the corridor might cause more of a problem than it being on private land.

But here's the thing. Half the money is already raised. This is a new initiative. It’s not like Bozeman Pass has been bought by private owners and now its in danger of being shut down. Its the exact opposite. It was always on private land, always at risk of shutting down because of the silly parking lot on the side of an interstate, but now there is an initiative to make the land public. Where's the crisis???

In reply to:
The time you spent making an account and posting this could of been spent sending a letter to Baucus.

Why would I do that? I don't think the money should be wasted. My intention was to get people to think exactly what you're asking them to spend money on. Hence the post here instead of to Baucus.

In reply to:
I've climbed there and the rock isn't bad. It's limestone, so you can't expect granite quality

No, its Montana limestone. There is plenty of limestone that provides stellar climbing, not too much of it resides in MT. But I was talking more of the quality of the routes than I was the sturdiness of the rock. Maple Canyon is some of the most rotten rock I've ever climbed on, but its also some of the most fun.

If people think Bozeman Pass is the best place on earth, thats fine. But its on private land and to make it public costs some cash, a couple million or so. I personally don't think that its worth it. I'm just providing my point of view, and if enough people can convince congressmen otherwise you'll get your way. To me, it looks like it'll happen anyway. I don't think this should be an "access alert".

In reply to:
The greek system in Bozeman isn't that big, only about 300 members, so the chances of "frat" boys running around is pretty slim

Yes, MSU's Greek system isn't that big but if you have a cap on cars right now (what is it 5-10 cars??) imagine how many people will be there when they create a proper parking lot? The more people that use it, the more people will abuse it.

Not every piece of rock on the planet should be public and bolted.

atpeaceinbozeman

Apr 6, 2006, 5:55 PM
Post #22 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I did. It talks about a wildlife corridor. I'm not sure exactly how the corridor runs (it’s not very clearly spelled out in the post) but I think having an interstate running through the corridor might cause more of a problem than it being on private land.

But here's the thing. Half the money is already raised. This is a new initiative. It’s not like Bozeman Pass has been bought by private owners and now its in danger of being shut down. Its the exact opposite. It was always on private land, always at risk of shutting down because of the silly parking lot on the side of an interstate, but now there is an initiative to make the land public. Where's the crisis???

In reply to:
The time you spent making an account and posting this could of been spent sending a letter to Baucus.

Why would I do that? I don't think the money should be wasted. My intention was to get people to think exactly what you're asking them to spend money on. Hence the post here instead of to Baucus.

You bring up some points I'd like to clarify.

The fact that the interstate runs through the corridor is the problem, hence the conservation project. The preservation of the climbing is a direct benefit.

This is not a new initiative. To get this far in along in a conservation project as complicated as this, years of hard work and planning have taken place.

The risk of the parking area being shut down is now greater than ever, especially in a post 9-11 world.

The emails and letters I am asking people to send is in support of funding from a budget called the Land and Water Conservation Fund Budget.(follow the link)

The funding comes from other places as well, here are the components:

~1240 acres north of the freeway will be protected by a conservation easement financed with an 800,000 dollar contribution from the county(Gallatin) Open Space Fund.

The Schmidts(the private land owners) will donate the 175 acre piece favored by climbers to the Gallatin National Forest.

Federal funds of ~2.25 million will purchase the Schmidt's 640 acres south of the freeway to also be added to the Gallatin National Forest.

Last year, with the help of emails and letters, 1 million was appropriated under the Land and Water Conservation Fund Budget towards this conservation project. This year we are hoping to do the same.

Tom

tkalakay

Apr 7, 2006, 4:06 AM
Post #23 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

owens

Apr 7, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #24 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Kortazone raises a valid point.

Using Federal funds to basically buy land for a climbers parking lot smells of pork. The wildlife that use the north/south migration corridor to cross the highway would be far better served by an underpass or overpass, similar to those in the Canadian Rockies.

Making a larger and safer parking lot to hold more subarus and tacomas means nothing to an elk,bear, moose, etc that historically move north/south.

Wildlife don't care who owns the land. If what is currently private and unused becomes public and more heavily used, I tend to think the wildlife will use it less. Cars and trucks moving through at 75mph certainly kill wildlife, but they don't scare them the way a biped wandering around the woods does.

If the climbers want a parking lot, I think local efforts to raise the funds should be used.

Federal money would be better spent building a large culvert underpass that migrating wildlife could use to avoid crossing the highway. While this would be much more expensive than the land purchase, it would ultimately save lives of both people and animals, as well as make the north/south migration more effective for the natural ecosystem.

If I am misunderstanding the benefit this land buy would provide the wildlife, please let me know. If I lived in Mobile, Alabama, please explain to me with a straight face what my tax dollars are doing for the poor climbers of the Gallatin Valley.

owen

kellyanne

Apr 7, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #25 of 61 (18591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a climber, scientist, conservationist, and staff with the Gallatin Valley Land Trust working to conserve Bozeman Pass and other important landscapes throughout the region, I'd like to add a few things to this dialogue.

First, federal and state dollars are, in fact, being spent on wildlife crossings. The Craighead Institute and American Wildlands have conducted extensive analyses of how to best protect wildlife from highway traffic on Bozeman Pass specifically, and these plans are being implemented. Check out the Craighead Institute's webpage for more.

However, the highway is just one piece of the problem. Dozens of housing developments on Bozeman Pass also impair wildlife connectivity. The Gallatin Valley is being developed faster than any county in Montana, and it is more vulnerable to development than any county in the American West (American Farmland Trust 2005). If the Schmidt family wasn't so generous in selling portions of their property and their development rights at bargain costs, all 2055 acres could be sold to developers, with dozens of house sites. Not only would climbing access likely be gone, but wildlife habitat would be permanently ruined and the scenic value of this property-- visible from all over the Gallatin County-- would be destroyed. The significant portion of this property that won't become US Forest Service land will be held in perpetual conservation easement, ensuring its status as prime wildlife habitat and open space. And by the way, no federal tax dollars will be spent on that portion of the project-- only on portions that will become federal land.

This project, as Tom points out, has been underway for years with the cooperation of dozens of government agencies, non-profit organizations, and private landowners. It benefits not just climbers and not just residents of Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley, but generations to come by protecting-- forever-- the very ecological and scenic fabric that creates our community, inspires our imaginations, and allows for fun (however chossy) climbing.

Thanks for your letters to Congress and your support of this important project!

Sincerely,
Kelly Pohl
Land Protection Specialist
Gallatin Valley Land Trust

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook