RSS FeedRSS Feeds for View this Website

Premier Sponsor:

blacksun

Mar 30, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #1 of 13 (6744 views)
Shortcut

My site Earthclimber.com
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All!

Being a wedesigner of sorts and with a recent shoulder injury, I decided to make a website. The site idea came from the fact that, maybe I'm wrong, but I could not find a centralized easy to view map of major climbing areas in the US and the rest of the world. So with the help of Google's fantastic program, Google Earth, I'm adding major worldwide climbing destinations to a file that loads in Google Earth, available on my site:

http://www.earthclimber.com/

I chose to use Google Earth because, on a regular map, the scale is either too large or too small to either obtain proper detail or "the big picture". Google Earth allows you to scale in or out as far as you want (From about 500ft to a view from space!) as well as the awesome sattelite maps and 3d terrain.

So anyway, yeah, it's free and brand new, so it's not indexed on the search engines yet. (If you want to go back, remember Earthclimber.com or bookmark it because it won't be listed on Google search for months due to their new policy)

Note: You must have Google Earth installed before you download the locations!
Thanks all and please tell me what you think! :D

foyster

Mar 30, 2006, 2:26 AM
Post #2 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Re: My site Earthclimber.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good idea, you should have a link up for user submissions!

atpeaceinbozeman

Mar 30, 2006, 2:28 AM
Post #3 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice layer.

check out this thread, it has alot of climbing placemarks. (I added some myself)

It'd be cool to pull them all together.

Tom

mattq331

Mar 30, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #4 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's pretty cool - great job!

It will be even better when anyone can add climbing areas!

blacksun

Mar 30, 2006, 2:46 AM
Post #5 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

And 'bozeman, hey yeah, I'll check it out for sure.

And yes, I hope to get user submitted areas functional, but I'm a little undecided as to how to do it. Keep checking back though, as I am still working on it.

blacksun

Apr 3, 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #6 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I spent about 5 hours today....ugh.... and have added the ability for people to submit their own google earth placemarks through a form on the site. I also wrote up a little tutorial to help people learn how to do this.

I only have a couple guidlines which I'm gonna get out of the way here, before anyone jumps the gun.

- Search through the most current Earthclimber download and make sure the area/s you have in mind are not already added.

- Only submit well known areas that have no access problems and you know can handle traffic! No secret crags or "trespassing" crags. Also, if you want an area removed, let me know.

- Try to pinpoint the crag as best you can. For large or spread out areas, mark the parking area or maybe the highest peak.

- I intend to only add rock climbing areas. If alpine routes and mountains were added, there would be far too much clutter and confusion. If you have to wear rock shoes, or aid it, it's ok. A couple exceptions on really famous peaks. A few technical ice areas would be ok too.

So again I hope you all like it and any feedback is great!!!

http://www.earthclimber.com :D

blacksun

Sep 11, 2006, 8:45 AM
Post #7 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Earthclimber.com - UPDATE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all,

I just wanted to drop a note that I'm still working on my site, www.earthclimber.com, and I now have 128 climbing locations in the current download. "Dan" from http://www.railay.com helped out tons a couple days ago by letting me use his Thai Google Earth locations file which has lots of specific climbing spots but also lodging, transportation info and other stuff included. Not to mention the numerous people worldwide who have been submitting locations. So, it's worth checking out if you haven't in a while, or... never have.

It's all free, check it out....

http://www.earthclimber.com

:D

climbingtrash

Sep 13, 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #8 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nicely done black sun! The site looks good and it's a great idea. I'm adding you to my links page. :righton:

Partner j_ung

Sep 13, 2006, 1:11 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey that climbingtrash.com site is kinda fun, too. Let us know when the Willy Stick page is done. :lol:

joeforte

Sep 13, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, this is pretty cool, could come in REAL handy on roadtrips. It'll definately be with me on my laptop. Lets all pitch in and add a few locations. In no time, we'll have an amazing resource.

feanor007

Sep 13, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can't down load the earth climber stuff, my google earth is working fine, but when i click to download the earth climber stuff a window with code pops up instead. i'm on a mac if that matters, any help would be appriciated

zach

blacksun

Sep 16, 2006, 6:19 AM
Post #12 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

" i can't down load the earth climber stuff, "
Yeah, feanor007, I can hardly turn a Mac on so I can't really help you too much. But, on windows certain files become associated with certain programs, usually when you install them. So when you install Google Earth, any file ending in .kmz (the extention for the file you downloaded) is opened by Google Earth automatically. Just like how maybe a .mov video file is opened by quicktime. So, again, I don't know hows macs handle this, but you have 2 options.
1- figure out how to associate your files with specific programs. That might be an option in your web browser as well.
or
2- Much easier, download (save) the .kmz file from earthclimber.com to your computer. Then open google earth manually. Select "File" then "Open" and find the .kmz you downloaded earlier. It should start with "Earthclimber..".

Anyway good luck. Someone else on a mac had this problem as well. I'd like to get to the bottom of it at some point.

davidji

Sep 16, 2006, 6:59 AM
Post #13 of 13 (6743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good stuff. Thanks!!

Forums : Archive : View this Website

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook