RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

fishypete

Aug 21, 2002, 8:22 AM
Post #1 of 5 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Chouinard law suit??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw a mention of this in another thread, indicating that in the early 70's it induced the formation of Black Diamond.

Does anyone have some info about what the problem was?? I have never heard about this.

Thanks!

Fishy.

EDIT: I just saw the other post below "Chouinard to Black Diamond..." but again it doesn't have any solid info about the lawsuit. Sorry for the double post!

[ This Message was edited by: fishypete on 2002-08-21 01:36 ]

bigga

Aug 21, 2002, 10:07 AM
Post #2 of 5 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Chouinard law suit?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go look at the black diamond home page... I think they have it there in the history of the company

fishypete

Aug 21, 2002, 10:59 AM
Post #3 of 5 (4074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion.

I had scanned through that quickly - I was left curious if anyone out there knew any more details about the law suits (maybe what the accidents were for example) than the "failure to warn" message given officially.

I know, its a long shot!

Fishy.

bshaftoe

Aug 21, 2002, 3:15 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:A recent case demonstrates just how important this decision was. On August 22, 1986 Edward Carrington, an attorney from Houston and a neophyte rock climber, was killed in a fall. He had changed his rigging and his safety harness, and the fall pulled the couplings apart. Naturally, his estate
sued. The family was not so interested, but the law firm that was executor insisted, of course. They sued the climbing school, the guide/instructor, and the only "deep pockets", the equipment manufacturer, Chouinard Equipment Ltd., and the parent, Patagonia, a very lucrative mail order house. The two companies were owned by the famous ice and rock climber, Yvon Chouinard. As it turned out, the equipment company was quite small and had little in the way of net worth; for this reason the estate sued the parent company, the famous and lucrative,
Patagonia. (Product liability suits multiplied 400% from 1976 to 1986), and the increased liability insurance broke the equipment company, and it went into Chapter 11. Its assets were sold, and the shell remained, but 25 years of building the company were forever lost because an amateur changed his rigging behind the back of the guide. There was no piercing of the corporate veil of protection!

-From this document.

[ This Message was edited by: bshaftoe on 2002-08-21 08:18 ]

ride

Aug 26, 2002, 10:56 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate when people sue to cover their own stupidity, I mean come on, if no one tells you (in writing) that climbing is dangerous etc..etc.. does that mean it is NOT?

I wish there was a way to stop this madness

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook