RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

fisaacs

Aug 21, 2002, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

chalk...Does it really matter?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got about all the info I need on most of my other gear, but am still at a cusp on figuring out what I should do about chalk. From what i've surmised, it barely matters whose chalk-bag I buy (especially since i'm a beginner, the best one is probably a cheap one) and I know about using pantyhose instead of a ball, but does it really frikkin matter what kind of chalk I go for? I've been thinking about the eco-ball, but would like to know if anyone's had any negative effects from this (other than overdried hands when belaying)

thrillseeker05

Aug 21, 2002, 7:36 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

chalk...Does it really matter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

now your just counting pennies.... just get a ball of chalk and get on the rock!

peanutbutterandjelly

Aug 21, 2002, 7:41 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea chalk bags are all personal preference. I like a smaller bag, but I know a lot of people that like big bags. Chalk, well chalk is chalk.

pir8penguin

Aug 21, 2002, 7:54 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a slightly more specific preference: prana chalk bags. i'll admit i got my first one because they were/are trendy (cool logo, etc) but i've tried others and i really don't like them (especially not the black diamond or REI clakbags). I'm in love witht the fleece in prana's (because it's shorter and softer) and the big bouldering chalk bag works well since i have larger hands. i have a standard sized bag that i keep a chalkball in for the occasions where i have to use a chalkball (certain gyms).

chalk? block chalk, it's the cheapest. balls are ok, but less at one time, more to fool with in a fix. eco ball? why bother...unless yuo're going to climb where they don't allow chalk (ie, zion).

climbera5

Aug 21, 2002, 7:57 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personal preferance really. Some like a small bag and dip fingers only, others like a big bag to get the whole hand. A ball helps distribute chalk more quickly over palm of hand. It depends on the route you are doing and how much you sweat. You'll want a bigger bag for long routes, etc.

bsperes

Aug 21, 2002, 8:11 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go medium bag with a Pusher chalk ball (easy to refill) and of course Pusher chalk. I like to keep a little loose in the bottom of the bag in addition to the ball.

No SuperChalk, that stuff is killer on the lungs. Gives me the worst cough if near too much of it.

fieldmouse

Aug 22, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anything but power-grip

beyond_gravity

Aug 22, 2002, 3:06 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalkbags are not chalkbags. A crappy chalk bag and be really unplesent. Lets say you get a really small, unlined, cheap one. Your hand will barley fit in and it feel really bad on the skin. (also does not seal very well).

Things you should get...

Wide opening- Can you get your hand in with ease?

Supported Brim- Nothing sucks more then a chalkbag that wont stay open.

Lined- Unlined chalkbags are horrible. I'd pay another $30 for a lined one if I had to. Make sure it's lined and feels nice on the skin.

Design- How do you want to wear your bag? I'd pesonally go with a "one loop" attachment. This was you can either clip it on you with a biner, or us a chalkbag belt. The Two loop design is more stable, but you have to use a belt. You can use carabiners but you will have to use two and they dont allways sit nicley.

pir8penguin

Aug 22, 2002, 1:46 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

correction:dual loop bags can be worn with a single caribiner (ie, std prana chalk bag). i do this with my smaller chalkbag.

beyond_gravity

Aug 22, 2002, 4:28 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They can? Hmm, I guess i've never tried one of the smaller bags, but my BlackRock bag will not work with a single biner.

Partner tim

Aug 22, 2002, 5:16 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, just get a decent bag with a stiff opening, shovel a superchalk ball into it, and go climb.

you'll slide off of everything in sight during summer in the Southeast if you use regular chalk. Didn't ever make a difference when I was climbing out West (nice dry summers) but my god it is like night and day at Seneca or the Gunks in August. The cough sucks but, would you rather cough and send it, or not cough and grease off? Your call.

now go climb already

blindslap

Aug 22, 2002, 6:15 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like metolius chalkbags. cool designs and they are really good quality. For chalk i like the bison ball, good chalk thats easy to get to through the ball.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook