RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner cracklover

Apr 1, 2006, 6:32 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Fifi hook question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For those of you who climb with a fifi: Do you girth hitch the keeper loop to your belay loop (like you would attach a biner), or to the crotch and waist loop (like you would the rope). Just started using one regularly, and both places seem to have their advantages. The latter keeps you in a little closer, but the former makes a tighter girth hitch that seems like it won't come undone. I'm afraid if I girth to my crotch/waist belts, the girth will loosen and then fall off, and I'll lose the fifi right when I'm flailing around, at the worst possible moment.

GO

Partner holdplease2

Apr 1, 2006, 6:44 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fifi hook question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy Cracklover:

When I used to use a Fifi, I girthed it to the leg loops where the belay loop goes thru, then threaded it thru the belay loop hole in the waist loop hole so that it came out the top of the harness. (Hard to describe)

That way I could get downward pressure on the swami when in the higher step and have a shorter connection to the piece, but still have a nice tight girth hitch that wouldn't accidentally come undone.

Then I became enlightened, tied some perlon around the leg and sit parts of the harness beside my belay loop, and put a keylock biner on that. It doesn't fall out of the pro at just the wrong moment like a Fifi can, and it doesn't catch on every @&^#*! thing it goes near.

:)

-Kate.

Partner cracklover

Apr 1, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Howdy Cracklover:

When I used to use a Fifi, I girthed it to the leg loops where the belay loop goes thru, then threaded it thru the belay loop hole in the waist loop hole so that it came out the top of the harness. (Hard to describe)

That way I could get downward pressure on the swami when in the higher step and have a shorter connection to the piece, but still have a nice tight girth hitch that wouldn't accidentally come undone.

What a smart solution - you get the best of both!

In reply to:
Then I became enlightened, tied some perlon around the leg and sit parts of the harness beside my belay loop, and put a keylock biner on that. It doesn't fall out of the pro at just the wrong moment like a Fifi can, and it doesn't catch on every @&^#*! thing it goes near.

Makes sense, but I'm so inefficient - with moving the fifi around a fair amount - it'd just slow me down even more to switch to a biner. Perhaps after I get a little more efficient this solution might make more sense for me.

Thanks very much!

GO

stymingersfink

Apr 1, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try this on:

take the fifi-loop, follow the belay-loop path on your harness beginning from the top>down with the fifi-loop. now thread the fifi webbing back through the hole the fifi-webbing is sewn through, up over the hook, and back down the other side (kind of similar to how you might tie a "bunny-ears 8") so you are actually girth-hitching the metal of the fifi itself. easy to undo later, but doesn't come un-done on its own.

it also tends to be a little shorter than just girth hitching the webbing through the waist+leg loops.

Be sure to pull a short (8") length of 4mm perlon to the small hole in the top of the fifi, then tie knots in both ends so the string ends up about 5" long. This way the release string may be pulled to either side of the hook.

Partner cracklover

Apr 2, 2006, 9:14 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
try this on:

take the fifi-loop, follow the belay-loop path on your harness beginning from the top>down with the fifi-loop. now thread the fifi webbing back through the hole the fifi-webbing is sewn through, up over the hook, and back down the other side (kind of similar to how you might tie a "bunny-ears 8") so you are actually girth-hitching the metal of the fifi itself. easy to undo later, but doesn't come un-done on its own.

it also tends to be a little shorter than just girth hitching the webbing through the waist+leg loops.

Be sure to pull a short (8") length of 4mm perlon to the small hole in the top of the fifi, then tie knots in both ends so the string ends up about 5" long. This way the release string may be pulled to either side of the hook.

Cool, I'll try that, too!

rc.com proves, yet again, that it is a n00b's dream come true.

Thanks folks!

GO

stymingersfink

Apr 5, 2006, 3:33 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you've perfected screwing around with that contraption, get yourself a kong adjustable fifi.

Slightly more CF'age, but better than a regular old fifi in so many ways. Use the search function to see more discussion on kong's from the near past.

sparky

Apr 6, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Howdy Cracklover:

:)

-Kate.

That's the way I do it. I have one loop for topstepping and one for my 2nd step. No more fiddling, just hoist up, clip and get in the step, right tension every time.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook