RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

atropine

Apr 1, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 5 (601 views)
Shortcut

Thermarest chairs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anybody use (or has used) Thermarest chair kits by putting a closed cell foam mat inside (the bulky cheap ones that roll up) - not the thermarest inflating type?

If so - how did you get on? was it still comfortable, or a pain in the ass..... Any useful info appreciated

I am taking it on a 2 month cycling trip far far from civilization & don't want to rely totally on an inflatable mat. I know i could just go spend £10 & try it out, but i was hoping someone out there would just have tried it!

leezerdgirl

Apr 1, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #2 of 5 (601 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thermarest chairs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Use it for what? A chair? A pad under your sleeping bag? An emergency leg splint?

I have a Crazy Creek (TM) folding foam pad, the kind with no legs, just a two-piece pad that hooks together to make a chair. Is that what you're referring to?

I have used it car camping, like it fine for sitting around the campfire and that sort of thing.

As a ground pad under a sleeping bag, it's not great (too short, and the buckles can get in uncomfortable places) but better than nothing, especially if what you want is moreso insultation from the cold ground rather than plush comfort.

I haven't tried using it as a leg splint, though my WFR instructor said I could in a pinch.

Haven't used it in the backcountry, seems it would be awkward to carry in since it doesn't roll up.

Wouldn't recommend it as a crash pad.

atropine

Apr 1, 2006, 8:55 PM
Post #3 of 5 (601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok - so its a chair.... i guess i could have been more specific - sitting on it will be the main use, but i will also spend some of the time not sitting on it.

herbaltee

Apr 1, 2006, 8:59 PM
Post #4 of 5 (601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I presume you are talking about the trekker chair. Personally I would use a piece of old sleeping mat with a good rock/log etc as my backing. The trekker chair is way too expensive for what you are using it for (i.e. eatting lunch at the crag, sitting by the campfire, etc). But if you do get one, they are nice especially when sitting in front of the campfire.

Oh yeah why don't you use a bouldering mat, its all about multipurpose gear!

kubi

Apr 1, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #5 of 5 (601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got one. It's no good for car camping because everyone else brings folding chairs and you feel like an idiot sitting at crotch level with everyone else. It's good for top-rope cragging, especially if you want to just sit around and belay a few of your friends up some stiff climbs. Its great for non-lightweight backpacking, use a 2/3 length pad to sleep on and put the chair under your feet, very nice.

edit: after writing all this out I realized you were asking about the thermarest chair kits, not the crazy-creek chairs. Fuckit, I'm just going to post this anyway.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook