RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

phang_nga

Apr 4, 2006, 6:08 AM
Post #1 of 3 (584 views)
Shortcut

Trad in Thailand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm getting back into climbing after quite a long spell on the ground. I live in southern Thailand and run a nature-based adventure tour company.

My goal is to offer exciting first ascents in Phang Nga Province and Khao Sok National Park. No one climbs in Khao Sok and I don't think anyone does in the province even though there are endless cliffs/mountains to offer.

It seems like everyone is into sport climbing over here. I would appreciate your opinions (most humble or not) on whether or not offering first ascents using trad gear would be appealing enough to warrant marketing it?

Serious remarks and wise-cracks welcomed...

Thanks

veep23

Apr 4, 2006, 8:27 AM
Post #2 of 3 (584 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad in Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

God... u can throw a rock in Phang Nga and get an amazing first ascent! I drove through there the other day and marveled at the cliffs... if it was in Europe or America it would be one of the great climbing centers. As far as marketing first ascents with trad though... I'm not sure. Seems to me if you know how to use trad gear then u probably aren't going to hire a guide. Also, its mostly sport here because it is limestone which is far better for sport than trad. check this out for a cool Thai adventure: http://www.railay.com/railay/climbing/gallery4.shtml btw... what's your company? i live in phuket and am curious what kind of trips u do.

phang_nga

Apr 4, 2006, 9:38 AM
Post #3 of 3 (584 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad in Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool pics of the climbing around Ko Panyi, but it's not really "where tourists are never seen" as it says. No problem of course as perhaps he's talking about not having any tourists on the cliffs. :lol:

There are zillions of places like this or better. I want to start exploring them and I'll need to trad the stuff first I reckon.

I like the top as much as the climb. The views from some of the mountains in Phang Nga Province and Khao Sok National Park are out of this world!

Ciao for now...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook