RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

adey007

Aug 22, 2002, 12:54 PM
Post #1 of 3 (920 views)
Shortcut

Employement in the outdoor industry
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in England at the mo, just graduated from university. Ive spent the past three summers in california working at a summer camp, two of those summers as part of the managment.

Im trying to get more long term employment in outdoor education, either working with teenagers. wilderness leader or more into guiding trips.

I guess some of you on this site must be employed in that field. What qualifications did you start out with?

I know WFA first respnder is pretty essential, It sucks in the UK as we don't have that.

I thinking of two possible routes here, one is to continue applying to jobs I find online such as those on outdoornetwork.com See what comes from that. My experience working in outdoor ed and general climbing, mountaineering, biking, backpacking experince is pretty darn good. Just I have no official qualifications.

My second thought is to save some cash and come over to the states to complete some courses. UK courses only validate me to work in the UK, which quite frankly suck (can't stand the weather). If I came to the US I could get my WFA, maybe EMT, then perhaps do a NOLS instructor course or perhaps some AMGA courses.

Where on the Web can I find more detailed information on what courses are good to take, any thoughts on what plan to take?

Anyone want to employ me?

I'll appreiciate any help

cheers

chrisshaeffer

Aug 22, 2002, 5:57 PM
Post #2 of 3 (920 views)
Shortcut

Employement in the outdoor industry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless your lukcy or know someone who is wanting to hire you, most availible work in the US is pretty seasonal. I've done outdoor ed. work for 6 years now, and only 3 of them were full-time, full year. And I really lucked out.

Having said that, its fairly easy to establish an almost year round series of seasonal jobs in outdoor adventure and ed. Here in Portland, Oregon I know a few people who do school camps spring and fall, summer camps in the summer, and are ski instructors in the winter. Others are river guides for the summer, etc.

Not a single one of the jobs pays well and most people can only take a few years of it unless they have partners that are into the same lifestlye. Many move into administrative postitions, settle down, get fat, and hate life because they are stuck in an office again...

Its a rough feild at times. The more qualifications you have the easier it is to get work, but be wary of sinking a lot of money into student loans that you'll have to pay off on a shoe-string budget.

Its worth adding that with the economy doing weird things here in the States, a lot of funding and interest in outdoor adventure and camps has evaporated. Have a back-up plan, if you can.

Take care,
Chris

adey007

Aug 22, 2002, 8:43 PM
Post #3 of 3 (920 views)
Shortcut

Employement in the outdoor industry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Chris,

I know a lot of people who follow the seasons, I also know a lot who have got fed up with it after a few years.

Trying to get work in the states is certainly a lot harder now than it was last time I worked there, summer 2001. Visa's are a nightmare to get and Im finding quite a few companies aren't interested unless I already have permission to work.

Im going to continue hunting, the US isn't my only plan, there is a whole world there, most with finer weather than here. Man, Ive lived in the UK for 22yrs isn't it about time I explored somewhere else?

Adrian...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook