RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

wordless_chorus

Apr 7, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 5 (618 views)
Shortcut

washing your rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yea i got this mammut rope 60m from EMS. its the one that comes with the rope bag and ive had it since christmas and used it many times but it is still coiled in the center. this dude told me to wash in woolite and then let it dry out of the sun. any tips??

saxfiend

Apr 7, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 5 (618 views)
Shortcut

Re: washing your rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yea i got this mammut rope 60m from EMS. its the one that comes with the rope bag and ive had it since christmas and used it many times but it is still coiled in the center. this dude told me to wash in woolite and then let it dry out of the sun. any tips??
Woolite, yes.

Sun, NO! Let it dry uncoiled in shade. Sunlight will degrade it.

What do you mean it's "still coiled in the center?" If you mean it's got kinks, I doubt washing will cure that.

JL

pea_tear_griffin

Apr 7, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #3 of 5 (618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woolite is fine since it's a mild detergent but try not to dry your rope in the sun as prolonged UV exposure degrades the nylon sheath - ropes are expensive and unless you have money to throw around you probably want to maximize your rope life. A better alternative might be to drape it over a shower curtain rod for approx. 24 hours.

pastprime

Apr 7, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #4 of 5 (618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, that's pretty much it. Uncoil it, flake it into the washer, front loader is best, gentle cycle, go light on the soap using Ivory or Woolite, warm, not hot water, rinse well, hang to dry.

codhands

Apr 7, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #5 of 5 (618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just daisychain my rope, throw it in a FRONT LOAD washing machine on regular with a little woolite, take all the clothes of the rack in my closet (throw them on the floor) take the rope and flake it over the rod, set up my fan on ocillate and point it at the rope. Sucker dries completely in about 5 hours and is so sweet, and by so sweet I mean totally awesome! :D

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook