Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

iluvtoplayoutside

Apr 11, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #1 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and Wedding rings?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm getting married this year...

Any of you ladies actually keep your ring on to climb? If so what material is best?

If you don't wear it when you climb, any safe-keeping ideas?

Thanks for any advice!

muttblood

Apr 11, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #2 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing and Wedding rings? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always take my ring off when I climb. For one, some holds can be painful to hold on to when I have a piece of metal digging into my finger. Also, there are safety reasons. On certain climbs, your ring can act as though you are trying to grab a clipping bolt, causing pain or worse if you fall when your ring is jammed in the hold (namely a crack). If your diamond is set on prongs (tines, whatever you wish to call them), and your diamond gets caught on the rock, crack, whatever you're climbing on, it can damage the prongs and put your diamond in danger of coming out. The risk may be small, but I just assume avoid it instead of explaining to my husband why he should buy me a new wedding ring.
I often wear a necklace then put the ring on the necklace.

granite_grrl

Apr 11, 2006, 6:10 PM
Post #3 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was married last month. My ring has lived on a chain around my neck for most of the time since. Glad I didn't get an engagement ring, wouldn't want to be wearing that on a necklace while climbing or mountain biking.

I would like to get a sturdier necklace though, maybe some cord. I'm kinda scared I'll break my current chain 3 pitches up.

Partner macherry

Apr 11, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

leave it at home

harmonydoc

Apr 11, 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #5 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I leave mine on a necklace all the time.

skinkididoo

Apr 11, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #6 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine wears his on an accessory cord "necklace" whenever he climbs. I'd guess his wife does the same.

redlegrangerone

Apr 11, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #7 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would never climb with a ring on. While I have not seen any climbing injuries yet, I have seen many machine related injuries where the ring got stuck. Not something you want to happen. Plus, I wuld be heartbroken if my fiancee lost something like her ring.

wjca

Apr 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #8 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone ever heard of someone losing a finger because they were wearing a ring that got stuck in a crack, then whipped?

Once I started climbing, I lost so much weight that my fingers shrunk in girth (thankfully I maintained girth in the important places). I haven't been able to wear my ring since.

shorty

Apr 12, 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #9 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple that I know are avid mountain bikers. A couple of years ago they took an extended trip to Moab. Knowing that the biking would be challenging and that she might risk damaging/losing the diamond on her engagement ring, the missus left her engagement ring at home and wore only the wedding band.

At the end of a long day on the trails, they both put their bikes on the roof rack of their big SUV (think Suburban). She isn't all that tall, so she has to open the door, stand in the door frame, and load the bike onto the roof rack. Unfortunately during the loading process, her feet slipped off the door frame and her ring caught on a piece of metal on the bike rack. The impact of the fall on the ring sheared her finger off at the wedding band. They drove as quickly as possible to a hospital in Moab, but by the time they arrived the doctors said there was too much damage and too much time since the accident to attempt re-attacking the finger.

I could also go into a few stories of carpenters and machinists who lost their ring fingers on the job. All were due to having the ring caught in some machine or device.

I don't think it's a good idea to be wearing any kind of rings when you are climbing. Imagine slowly oozing from a finger crack, only to have your ring start camming against the rock and your bone.

Keep the ring at home while you're climbing. You can always parade the band and the rock on it when you're in the office and the bars.

Partner macherry

Apr 12, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #10 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice story shorty!!!! :shock:

i'm not a big fan of rings. the last time i wore a wedding band, i was out picking huckleberries and got a wasp sting. had to have the damn ring cutoff. The hubby and I bought the cheapest bands we could find. at the time we were saving for a trip through europe.

I'm a gear kind of gal!!!!!!!...............not much interested in jewellery. Can you say new skis!!!!!!

dukeandbeads

Apr 12, 2006, 1:19 AM
Post #11 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had been a climber before I got married, I would have been strictly a band-and necklace type of gal. But now that I have a rock on prongs, it comes off before climbing and lifting, and often biking.

A few years back my diamond fell out (fortunately I found it!) The jeweler who repaired it (upgraded stone--I figured it was an omen) said, "What have you been doing to this ring? Rock climbing in it?"

How did he know? (The answer was no, I had started climbing then, but I can certainy abuse my hands.)

So, yeah, mine stays at home or locked in the gym locker...

Anne

shorty

Apr 12, 2006, 2:28 PM
Post #12 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a gear kind of gal!!!!!!!...............not much interested in jewellery. Can you say new skis!!!!!!
So you wear wedding skis on your hand?

And by the way, one can never have too many pairs of skis. It's a dirty job keeping our ski equipment industry alive and kicking, but somebody's got to do it.

Partner macherry

Apr 12, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #13 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So you wear wedding skis on your hand?

And by the way, one can never have too many pairs of skis. It's a dirty job keeping our ski equipment industry alive and kicking, but somebody's got to do it.

well. i'm looking at getting an, ahem, new band, say a pair of elan m-12 or a pair of carving skis with more sidecut.

Partner wideguy

Apr 12, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #14 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few minutes of Google image serching should be all you need to answer this question. Wearing my weddiing band just climbing a tree one day, I swung a little on a branch and my band sliced a gash about 1/2" long and deep anough to bleed right in the crease of the base of my ring finger. Took months to heal because moving the finger kept re-opening the cut.

Beyond the injury risk, most metals are soft compared to rock. You will probably ruin the ring in pretty short order.

I'd be wary of putting it on a chain too, again, google image search... slipping+ string around your neck+ bad things. Rarely fatal but often unpleasant.

Best bet is leave it home.

iamthewallress

Apr 13, 2006, 1:00 AM
Post #15 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have any of you gone with an alternative symbol to the ring? I think I would wear one irregularly at best, and loose it before too much time had passed, but I don't have a better idea for a good marriage symbol.

climbingbetty22

Apr 13, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #16 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear nothing says "I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you" like a double portaledge. :lol: :lol: :lol:

paddlegurl

Apr 13, 2006, 2:27 AM
Post #17 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leave it at home or buy a chalk bag that has a zippered pouch. For redundancy, pin it in and then zip it up!

mur

Apr 13, 2006, 6:48 AM
Post #18 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leave it at home. The ring is just a symbol of your devotion to each other. You don't need to wear the ring to know how you feel. I hope.

iluvtoplayoutside

Apr 13, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #19 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, lots of responses!

One thing I've noticed since I've been climbing I find myself having to leave my non traditional engagement ring off a lot because my knuckles seem to get cracked up from the rock--and putting the ring on and off irritates any 'wounds' more and the heal slower; I don't mind rough looking hands--but with all our hobbies that are probably best done without any ring on, I'm tempted not to get one at all...but there are some pretty but simple looking rings and my girlie side wants one...I'm always such a tomboy and would like have something pretty--But I REALLY don't want to loose it which I am afraid of with taking it on and off all the time. I can't even count all the crap I loose (that I don't want to loose) because I travel so much to bike events and whatnot!

Also in response to biking while wearing a ring, I don't think it's too bad; as a road/mountain bike racer, I've not had any issues with wearing my engagement ring while riding, riding scary/technical downhill type terrain, but I suppose anything is possible...but as a fairly new climber I am learning the issues climbing creates...

boadman

Apr 13, 2006, 7:39 PM
Post #20 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an argument against the necklace method, I was climbing a slab last summer without a shirt. It was pretty challenging, with delicate clips. At one point, the bolt was even with the hollow of my throat, and I was sort of squirming the draw into place. When I went to step up, my necklace cord (seine twine), which I had accidentally clipped to the top carabiner of my necklace prevented me from moving. I hesitate to think what would have happed if I had slipped with it clipped.

daphna

Apr 13, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #21 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear it [titanium with red gold stripe on it in the middle]
Did have to be sawed once [too strong to cut] but that was when I broke my finger unclimbing-related

Partner hosh

Apr 13, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #22 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Have any of you gone with an alternative symbol to the ring? I think I would wear one irregularly at best, and loose it before too much time had passed, but I don't have a better idea for a good marriage symbol.

My brother-in-law and his wife got tatoos on their fingers. They don't come off and you never loose them. Just a thought... From what they told me, it also had something to do with his wife's native heritage.

hosh.

clausti

Apr 14, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #23 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

My brother-in-law and his wife got tatoos on their fingers. They don't come off and you never loose them. Just a thought... From what they told me, it also had something to do with his wife's native heritage.

hosh.

i've heard of this as well. seems like a pretty good way to go.

-cla

redlegrangerone

Apr 14, 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #24 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. Right up until the divorce. :lol:

Partner macherry

Apr 14, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #25 of 49 (6035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep. Right up until the divorce. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nothing says love more than tattoo removal laser surgery

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?